October 23, 2014 | 2154 users online

Liquid - Boots - No7 Intelligent Balance Foundation Mousse [DISCONTINUED]

image 0image 1image 2

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2010 6:27:00 PM More reviews by zoomusicgrrrl

Well, I've only been using this a week, but I'm loving it so far! I've never been interested in cream or mousse foundations - liquid has always been my thing. But a few people recommended this foundation to me. My sister, for one, swears by it (and as a trainee beauty therapist she's obsessed with her makeup looking immaculate.) She has temperamental teenage skin that is sometimes prone to oiliness and sometimes to dry patches - and often both at the same time. Her skin looks flawless with this foundation, but I was concerned that it must feel heavy or get cakey through the day (so would certainly not work for my 30-something skin). However, even at the end of a recent hot day her face looked balanced and smooth (and felt matte to the touch). I had a Boots No 7 voucher which lowered the price from £11 to £6, so I thought I'd give it a shot. The colour selection is limited and all the shades look dark in the pot. I've never had any luck with Boots liquid foundations colour-wise (their No 7 liquids have always been far too dark; their cheaper 17 range products have tended to oxidise badly on me.) So I ignored what the colours looked like in the pots and chose the same shade that my sister wears: 'Blonde'. 'Blonde' is the second lightest shade available, but I thought it might just work on my still-very-fair-but-not-ghostly summer skin. My sister tends to fake tan often, but I only do so occasionally, so I wasn't sure if this shade could work for both of us. My sister applies hers (liberally) with a sponge to get the most out of the colour but without looking fake/harsh/orange, but I used a foundation brush (and a smaller amount of product) for a lighter application. This kept the colour subtle enough to look like my own skin but with a healthy glow. Over the years I've tended to play up the cool tones in my skin, often opting for foundations that either match my pinkness or whiteness. I've tended to neglect products that highlight the yellow tones that my skin also contains. But I've discovered that using a foundation with yellow tones can actually be incredibly flattering on my pale skin, especially this time of year.
    The texture of the foundation was surprisingly comfortable and easy to apply. I've been scooping a little out of the jar with the spatula onto the back of my hand and brushing it on to my skin from there. It feels as light and silky as a powder as it's smoothed on, and I've found it so much quicker to apply than liquid (requiring very little in the way of blending.) Within seconds I've achieved an airbrushed effect - and without using any concealer, highlighter, primer or powder whatsoever. The first time I wore it I expected it to disintegrate to a creamy/slimy mess, but it only developed a sheen throughout the day. Like I said before, I've only used it a week so far, but the weather here has been really hot for the past few days. I've been applying it at 6 am for work, but it's still been looking passable at 10 pm. Today I applied it at 6 am, had a hectic day in work (with only one chance to blot), then was running late for an appointment in the mid afternoon and had to rush a few blocks in the blazing sun to get there; I was also weighed down with shopping bags at the time and I could feel beads of perspiration on my forehead and upper lip. I was feeling absolutely gross by the time I got to my appointment, but a sneaky peek in my compact mirror revealed that, weirdly, my skin still looked just sheeny - not the sweaty, greasy, sludge pool I imagined it to be! (Admittedly, it was in need of a blot, but it was by no means the disaster it could've been.)
    I'm going to continue to use this foundation and will update if my notoriously fickle skin changes its mind about how good it is!
    Pros - lightweight texture, applies in a flash, very good coverage, gets glowy not slimy on oily areas, good price (there are always offers on No 7, whether it be 3-for-2, or £5 off purchase), despite the shades looking dark they CAN work for light skin and the shade I'm using doesn't oxidise on me.
    Cons - not great on dry patches (so exfoliate!), limited colour range, heavy, bulky glass container, some liquid foundations (e.g Double Wear) have perhaps an even better longevity/adherence to skin.
    FYI - My skin is pale and coolish-neutral. (But I like to counter any pinkness in my skin by using shades that are based on yellow.) My cheeks are normal, but my T-zone is prone to oiliness. I've been using this foundation on top of Estee Lauder Daywear Plus SPF 30 (a non-greasy sunscreen that seems to anchor makeup well.)
    UPDATE - Dec 2010: The No7 sales assistant at my local Boots branch told me that this product is being discontinued. It does seem to be available on the Boots website for the moment, so I'm over there to stock up. (Oh, and it's 3-for-2 right now.)

rated 2 of 5 on 9/3/2010 1:47:00 AM More reviews by hellogorgeous1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

(EDIT 5/10/2011) ***After using this product for a few months I noticed a lot of cystic acne starting to develop around my jawline and cheek area. I narrowed down the products I was using and found this was the culprit. It is not labeled non-comedogenic which I knew and took a chance with, but I have learned my lesson. Too bad because the coverage was terrific and it didnt feel heavy on my face at all. **** I have oily, sensitive and acne prone skin with some minor scarring. I have always used liquid foundations but decided to try a mousse after hearing they control oil better. Enter Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse. I fell in love immediately. Then 2 days later my face was completely broken out. End of Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse. I searched for another. Found Boots Intelligent Balance Mousse and it is now my HG foundation. I bought it at Target in Almond and it matched perfectly. I apply it using a foundation brush and it gives me full coverage without the need for a concealer. It feels so lightweight and it controls oil better than any foundation I have tried. Most importantly I have not had any breakouts so far. I set the makeup with a translucent powder. I am so happy with this purchase and I anticipate the makeup lasting me quite awhile because a very small amount covers a large area with blending. The only problem I could see with this makeup, although I didnt experience it, would be it may be hard for people to choose a color match if there are no testers available. I was a Medium 1 Sandy Beige in MDMM and Almond in BIB.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/22/2010 5:11:00 AM More reviews by bangton

Really disappointed with this foundation. I bought based on the fantastic 5 star reviews on Boots own website but it made my face feel so oily and I have dry/normal skin!
    Initially the coverage was great and it was so easy to apply. I liked the jar and spatula it came with and overall it looked very sleek. (a little cumbersome to carry around since its a heavy, glass jar though).
    As the morning wore on I noticed my chin was looking very shiny and finally my face started to feel so greasy that I actually removed my make up and started again with my Revlon Colourstay mineral mousse. I definately won't use this again based on the oil factor. Also I huge, sore spot developed on my chin during the day I wore this (I usually wake up with spots, not develop them during the day!) - maybe this foundation, maybe not but I would guess this is to blame.
    I wanted to buy the bourjois mousse foundation which cost the same as this at £11 but I had a £5 No7 voucher so it swayed it for me.I'll know better in future.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/7/2010 4:58:00 PM More reviews by loz1992

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a great 'quick fix' foundation whenever im in a rush this is what i use its so easy and quick to apply (i use a foundation brush) and has a decent amount of coverage (probably medium).

This product may not be great for those with quite dry skin as it is a mousse foundation but i find it a lot less drying than maybellines dream matte mousse.

It is priced around £11 which isnt bad for the amount and the quality you get, but i usually buy it when i have a £5 off voucher or its on 3 for 2.

The packaging isnt great the shape of the gar it comes in makes it difficult to get product from the top corners, although the spatula it comes with is quite helpfull.

This last me ages and i have rebrought i am on my 2nd or 3rd gar and would buy again, this is my foundation for when im in a rush or for when i don't need my foundation to last long (the staying power of this foundation is just average, nothing special) however it feels light on the skin and is therefore great in hot weather. This foundation helps me use less of my more expensive foundations when i don't need to wear them and makes them last me longer :)

rated 3 of 5 on 7/19/2010 11:53:00 PM More reviews by maha2008

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

I am Mac Nc37-40!
    After trying Avon foundation (which I loved) then I tried Maybelline, then Boots!
    This foundation comes in a sturdy glass jar that I like ,also a cute little spatula!
    This foundation is way better than Maybelline Dream Mousse Matte foundation, this foundation is better than Avon in smoothness, matteness, in pictures, but Avon will last longer than this in humid weather, this will melt! For winter it good!

I first bought the color suede, since it was yellow tone, but it was dark for me I returned it and got tan, tan was also little dark and is pink tones not yellow!

I am using it , once I finish it I won't buy, since the color selection is very limited and after two hours on my combination skin it will melt really bad unless you stay in air conditioning all the time no hard work, just sitting on a chair in the office! Or You can use it in winter when the weather is cool!

I am a stay home mom, and just running every where, picking kids from school, grocery, home chores! Being said that this is the best foundation that I have tried in texture and smoothness! Once you have it on your face will be smooth, matte ,perfect, excellent for pictures!

But I still think it is a very good mousse foundation,you will like it if:

you can get a right shade------- you do not live in humid weather-------you have Normal to Dry skin-------you have combination skin & you are using it in Winter----You are not expecting it to last more than 4 hours under above conditions------you like medium to full coverage----you want light feel of foundation on skin----you like to look good in pictures!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/16/2010 11:49:00 AM More reviews by minoritythreat

I think this one is meh... I've used it for the past few months and really like how matte my skin looks for the first hour or so but towards the middle end of my night I am usually a little on the oily side.

It is fine for most people but for my skin it was a no-go.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/19/2010 11:43:00 PM More reviews by TessaM

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Every time, no matter how much moisturizer I put on, this chemical laden junk flaked on my skin. Target wouldn't even give me a refund! Considering the state of the economy, I am very offended that Target would, first of all, decide to sell this british imported crap, and second, wouldn't give me my money back 1 day later. I'm sticking with Walgreens....

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2010 7:51:00 PM More reviews by tautoux

This is amazing. I put on such a small amount and it covers everything. I have redness on the cheeks and some acne scars, and it covers it all. It dries matte, no need to even set with powder. I don't even need concealer with this! I paid 14 dollars at target, which is a great price for what a great product it is. I will never spend 28 dollars on a MAC foundation again. If you're looking for that flawless airbrushed look, this foundation is definitely worth trying.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2010 11:52:00 AM More reviews by kittykatblues

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

So yeah, I'm pretty sure I have now finally found my HG foundation; this stuff is absolutely amazing. I have acne prone, oily, oily skin which can be a real bummer when you're trying to find makeup that doesn't make these two things about your skin even worse. :(

This stuff does nothing though, except give me fantastic coverage that lasts ALL day; I don't even have to use concealer anymore after finding this! :) the amount you get in the package is fantastic aswell, as you only need the TINIEST bit to cover up pretty much everything, and my skin never really gets that icky shine anymore when I use this!

Bottom line: This stuffs amazing, especially for the price (I got it at Target for $14, which is awfully cheap considering the quality of this product) and I would recommend this to anybody with oily skin / acne problems.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/16/2010 9:23:00 PM More reviews by juliarene

Medium to full coverage. Dries to a soft powder feel on the face but does not look chalky. I have sensitive combination skin with redness and broken capillaries on my cheeks. I only need to use a little bit of product to get the coverage I need. Doesn't look cakey or mask like on me. This works well at covering the redness and does not irritate my skin. For the price I am very pleased with the quality and effectiveness of this foundation. I use the color Blonde and it works well on my fair-medium warm skin tone.