BeneFit Cosmetics Dr Feelgood

2.4

Corn Starch Modified, Diethylene Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Neopentyl Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Isosteryl Meopentanoate, Silica, Polyethylene, Ethylhexyl Isononanoate, Carnauba (Copernicia Cerifera) Wax, Tridecyl Trimelitate, Diethylene Glycol Diisononanoate, Chamomile (Anthemis Nobili) Flower Extract, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Linoleate, Ascorbyl Palmitate

on 3/20/2012 7:42:00 PM

Before I wore "real" makeup (tinted moisturizer, foundation, etc) on a daily basis, I would just use dabs of concealer and a bit of this stuff to mattify my oily skin.

For a while I really liked it. In moderation, it makes your skin soft and velvety. Use too much and you feel like you smothered yourself in Crisco.

Beyond the mattifying effect, it also keeps your skin hydrated. I always thought of it as combining the effects of pressed powder and moisturizer.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This seems to be a love or hate product. I LOVE it! As a primer, I was using Lanacaine Anti-Chafing gel (as ir's known in the UK) which is about £7 a tube and lasts fairly well. I decided to try this when I was up late and saw a Mally make up compact that looked similar.

First off, there are several different ways to use this product, and you really need to experiment. The girl at the counter applied it over PoreFessional for me, which gave a flawless look - sadly the budget didn't stretch to both. I use it as a primer under my Rebel Lite tinted moisturiser as it gives a lovely matte, smooth base and disguises my gigantic pores. When using a full foundation though (such as Revlon Colourstay, or recently purchased Max Factor Lasting Performance) I simply moisturise my face, then apply the foundation. THEN, I dab Dr Feelgood over the top. This has a blotting effect, and if I was a fan of the dewy look I could probably get away with it just like that. I however then dust with translucent powder. It gives a smooth, natural look and really does seem to minimise pores. It also makes my make up last longer, and wear more evenly where I do need to reapply (really just my nose).

I also love the smell :)

on 2/25/2012 4:12:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I tried Dr. Feelgood because my sister gave it away to me. Now I understand why she decided to give it away... because it's bad! As an oily person, I must say this was a disappointment...
When I applied it, the finish way matte, but then it sadly flaked my skin. Later on in the day, I became super oily! Oilier than ever! This was during the summer and I usually put on my powder foundation. Obviously, the foundation wasn't at fault...

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I wish I could like Dr Feelgood, I honestly do. The problem is, I have NO idea how I'm supposed to use it. I bought it in a Benefit gift set and have made use out of everything else I got in it, apart from this. I've read many reviews and 'how to' blogs online yet I'm still none the wiser. Is it really a primer? When I've used it in a typical primer way, my skin makes no difference, if anything it turns redder and creates red, dry patches. I honestly don't know how I feel about this product. I think I could grow to like it if I knew its purpose.

on 1/23/2012 10:55:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I haven't written a review in forever, but I had to break radio silence to talk about this divisive product. I bought this on a whim, then read reviews, but I'm surprised to find myself using it every day and really liking it.

If you've read the reviews, one thing is clear: Dr. Feelgood works for different people in different ways. Some people insist it goes under makeup, others that it goes over makeup. My recommendation: experiment and see what works for you.

As a minimalist who hates foundation and usually has to blot oil two or three times during a work day (despite having dry skin), here's what works for me: Dr. Feelgood on bare skin (after moisturizing) alone controls oil, evens skin tone, and makes me look polished but very natural. When I use it on bare skin and then top with pressed powder, it gives me a really nice, near-flawless look with decent oil control. The best for oil control is when I use primer (good old Monistat anti-chafing gel) and then Dr. Feelgood on top. I don't have to blot oil at all throughout the day. Maybe it's weird to use two primers, but the combination really does the trick for an all day matte look. Of course, if these reviews prove anything, it's that your mileage WILL vary.

When I first decided to write this review, I was sure I would select that I would not by this product again for one simple reason: THE SMELL. Good grief, is the smell strong (like furniture polish as others have said). However, after a couple of weeks of use, I still don't love the smell but I'm used to it, and I like the results enough to deal with the scent and buy the product again. If Benefit would create a lighter scent or unscented version of this product, I would buy Dr. Feelbood forever. The smell is the only reason I gave this three stars instead of four.

UPDATE - I changed this to four lippies because I've repurchased it TWICE since the last review and it turns out, I freaking love this stuff. I pat it on over foundation (I started wearing foundation, too) and my face looks great all day. And I did get used to the smell.

This is the only primer I purchased a second tin, it sure suggests something. I got the first tin as a birthday gift and I had no idea how to work with it. I dont think it will work well over makeup, it just doesnt make sense to me. I applied as a primer after sunscreen and before liquid foundation, which I'm using CD nude liquid foundation. I only apply a very thin layer and it absorbs the greasy residue of sunscreen and leave my skin silky smooth especially my t zone. It also eliminates my big pores near nose area. Followed with my foundation, my skin looks flawlessand last a long time that I only need to touch up couple of times in the afternoon using some powder. I have almost finished my second tin and if I can't find anything else better than this, I will sure stock up another one even it's quite pricey

on 1/8/2012 8:04:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Skin felt noticeably silker, good for softer skin on the go with minimal make up retouches.
No visible difference to my skin, the wax discoloured and is hard to pick up on the sponge.

May suit oilier skin types?

Totally rubbish! I bought the product to try and make my make up stay on longer and it just didnt work! It is expensive, pointless and dries out in the little tin. The only plus is that it gives your face a matt finish with out any other make up.

on 12/15/2011 3:39:00 PM

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

I had a "makeover" at a Benefit counter a good 3 years ago, when I was interested in some new makeup. I have no idea what this stuff was supposed to do. The MA purposely used it OVER my makeup (is that right??) and I honestly saw NO difference. This stuff deserves 0 lippies!!

Its said to be a cult favourite. I tried to ignore all the bad reviews and i wanted so much to LOVE this makeup. The packaging is good. Comes with a sponge to apply the "primer" with. Initially it feels really smooth once applied. Almost makes your skin feel like silk.

But to this day i dont really know how to use it. Applying it over makeup just didnt work for me. Applying it under makeup is truly a no no becoz it just caked everything up when i applied my powder foundation! I was appalled!!! I had to wash ny face off again and start from scratch.

Will not recommend and will definitely not repurchase.