July 29, 2014 | 2026 users online

Lip Treatments - Lansinoh Lanolin

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2012 4:31:00 PM More reviews by evalein

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I had no idea so many other people use this! I bought it for breastfeeding and then realized that I could also use this on my hands and cuticles as well as my feet.

Just be careful around your face. It could make you break out.

From Lassinoh's Website:

"The term lanolin comes from the Latin lana for wool and oleum for oil, although chemically it is a wax rather than oil. The lanolin is a secretion from the sebaceous glands of sheep, which is deposited onto the wool fiber and is nature's way of protecting the fleece from the harmful elements of the weather. It is an organic ester and as such is similar to the oil our own skin produces (sebum). This is the reason it is so beneficial when applied to the skin."

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2012 2:51:00 PM More reviews by Tina68

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This product has single-handedly fixed my excessively dry cuticles. No matter what season it is, my cuticles are sore, red and torn despite using ointments, lotions and oils several times a day.I use it at night before bed. Yes, it leaves my hands feeling greasy, but eventually it sinks in.I noticed a difference after three nights. Two weeks later and my once ragged cuticles are non-existent. The skin around my nails is softer, smoother and healthier looking. And no longer red. This must be what it's like to have healthy cuticles.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2012 9:38:00 PM More reviews by sugarfreee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Yep it works! Thanks MUers for the rec. It is my only lip balm nowadays.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2012 7:02:00 PM More reviews by edie4711

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Like most of the reviews below, I am reviewing Lansinoh for uses other than that for which it was intended. My review primarily focuses on cuticle repair, with a side of lips.

I have fought my crazy, dry, overgrown, unruly cuticles all my life. I have nipped. Oiled. Creamed. Sought professional help. I have run the gauntlet of price points in cuticle products. There is virtually nothing out there that I have not tried.

Then Lansinoh entered the picture.

I stumbled across this set of reviews here on MUA, and just had to try it. Let me tell you, I am so glad I did!

After just one overnight use--just one--I experienced a 90% improvement in the condition of my cuticles. After 1.5 weeks of use, approximately 2x/day including overnight, 100% improvement. The hardened skin on the sides of the nails is soft and flexible. The cuticles no longer break apart when I push them back with a washcloth. All the hard white skin I used to fight at the eponychium is gone. The skin doesn't *feel* dry any more. My cuticles are as soft as my 7-year-old son's. Even the nails, where they have grown out, are less ridged and more moisturized.

As for the lips, I apply Lansinoh to them about as often as I do my cuticles--a little goes a long way, so it's convenient to do both at one time--and my lips, which are usually cracked and flaky, are smooth and picture-perfect.

I will never bother with another balm or cuticle-moisturizing product again. I am free of the constant questing for the perfect product. I have found it.

How I apply: I squeeze a little out of the tube, less than a pea size; it's not the easiest thing in the world to do, but it's not nearly the most difficult either. I swipe a small amount into each cuticle and rub the rest into my lips, then massage the cuticles and nails for a minute or so.

To begin with, it feels sticky. It will absorb fully into the skin in a few minutes. Be patient. There is no smell to speak of, nor is there much color to worry about.

I promise you, you will not be sorry you tried it.

Lastly, I especially want you to read this excerpt from the packaging insert:

"[Lansinoh HPA Lanolin] is medical grade, bacteriostatic, and completely hypoallergenic, so you can use [it] even if you're allergic to lanolin or wool. Our unique refining process ensures that it is noticeably different from any other lanolin in terms of color, odor, and consistency...The safety and purity of [Lanisoh] is not available in any other lanolin product."

I post this from the package insert so readers will understand that this stuff is the real deal, and that this review does not speak to other products that contain lanolin. It is not going to be like the stuff you've used in the past that "contained" lanolin, or was "pure" lanolin but smelled like Old McDonald's farm (because it was not purified the way Lansinoh is), or even some kind of esoteric sheep-rubbing ritual in which you may have participated.

I am reviewing Lansinoh 100% pure HPA lanolin, and nothing else--because there is nothing else like Lansinoh. Please, for the love of all that is good and wonderful, buy a tube already and get yourself off the cuticle butter/lip balm train.
continued >>

45 out of 46 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2012 4:29:00 AM More reviews by kaleiokapualani

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Okay. People seriously aren't lying when they say that this is their HG product. This stuff is amaaazzinnng! I thought i had some kind of lip problem, because they were ALWAYS dry and chapped. It made lipsticks look horrible, and even though i was applying Chapstick constantly throughout the day, the problem just wouldn't go away. I tried this product after seeing the good reviews, and purchased it for $9 at CVS. I applied it's jelly like vaseline before i went to bed. I woke up, scrubbed my lips with a wash cloth (to get off all the dead skin) and VOILA! Perfect, softest, amazing, luscious, peachy lips i've ever had. I never had the problem with chapped lips again! Thank you Lanolin!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/6/2012 1:49:00 PM More reviews by makeupinfo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have tried too many underperforming lip balms to mention, but thanks to recommendations by BarbiH, I decided to try this. Usually, I had to apply lip balms many times of day because my lips were always peeling, flaky and dry, but with this one, I apply once in the morning and once before going to bed. It keeps my lips protected and moisturized all day (and night) long even as the weather has gotten colder.

I've used it for a few months now and I love it. It's a bit thick, but i usually just squeeze about a 1/4 pea size onto a clean finger and pat in on my lips. Once it has melted a bit from the heat of my lips, I gently rub it all over my lips. I even used it on my red / chafed nose recently when it was irritated from blowing it too much. My nose healed by the next day.

Bottom line: I highly recommend

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2011 7:07:00 PM More reviews by pualonnie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Wish I would have found this years ago. My son has the most chapped lips ever and I found out about this from MUA. I went out and bought a tube and... I may as well throw everything else out. ( But I won't...addicted to lip products). Well, I used a TINY little dot on his lips and mine as well. His lips were moisturized all day long. No more dry peeling skin! As for myself, I noticed how soft my lips were and also I LOVE that this has no scent or taste! Great find.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/22/2011 6:39:00 PM More reviews by marybob

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

Really great for your NAILS and CUTICLES too. Rub this into your peeling nails early and often. Multi purpose product that really works!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/17/2011 2:10:00 PM More reviews by allymack

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

First of all, I just want to let anyone reading this know that Lansinoh is a cream for the nipples of breastfeeding mothers! Maybe I'm an idiot, but somehow when I was reading about it online I did not pick up on that, and was scouring lip balm sections in drugstores trying to find it! So look for it in the baby section. Anyways, the product itself is a very thick gel. I bought it because I read that it had great plumping effects, and I have thin lips, and lack the compulsive urge to constantly reapply lip balm that I had in high school, so I often let them get dry, making them even thinner. This product DOES have a noticeable plumping effect. I've been using it 1-2x daily for about a week, before bed and sometimes before I head out in the morning. My lips have been noticeably fuller, and take longer to get dry than they did previously. Obviously this is a nice bonus for wintertime. Unlike with a traditional lip plumper, the effects don't disappear an hour after application. Your lips are fuller because they are more well-moisturized, not because they're temporarily irritated. Would I re-purchase? Not entirely sure. It was more expensive than I expected ($12 CDN), and I don't like having a product exclusively for use before bed. the tube is too big to lug around.
EDIT: Ok, I'm definitely thinking I'll repurchase. My lips are definitely plumper, this was even clearer to me after seeing all the photos from holiday festivities. $12 for something I only have to use once a day, before bed, to give me noticeably plumper lips is a good deal, imho. My fellow thin-lippers might want to give it a shot.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2011 2:33:00 PM More reviews by Robin1980

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Was recommended to me by my dentist (of all people?) for occassional irritation in the corners of my lips (dry, winter air). This stuff is amazing (and so basic). My lips feel and look great. I also use this on my eyelids at night if I feel they are more dry than usual.