October 20, 2014 | 1032 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Great Lash Mascara Waterproof

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2011 7:55:00 PM More reviews by amanda23

I used to swear by this stuff many years ago and stopped using it because I was swayed by it's negative reviews. I recently gave it another try and realized the key to why I loved it so much: it's because it holds the curl in my lashes. That's honestly the only reason but it makes such a difference. I find it's easy to layer with this mascara also so it does everything I need from a mascara plus it's dirt cheap. I have to use a separate makeup remover to get it off but that's no big deal.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/15/2011 3:53:00 PM More reviews by demureninja

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I don't understand the hype for this product. Within minutes of putting it on, my eyes started to feel irritated and itchy, like I had sand in my eyes. Then about 20 minutes later, I noticed little flakes already coming off and piling up under my eyes. Yeah, at $5 a pop, it's pretty cheap, but just wasn't worth it for me. Not sure if the waterproof version is way different than the regular version, but if the formulas are anything alike, the non-waterproof one is likely to be irritating to my eyes too. Too bad, I'd love to have a HG mascara that is cheap and available everywhere! This one's going in the trash. :-(

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2011 3:51:00 PM More reviews by LinaJo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Love this product. I use this one, mostly, during the summer season while at the pool, on vacation, and/or at the beach. Stayed put and never smeared.

Con:
Takes forever to come all the way off. Might take a good 2 days to fully come off. So I wear a very light coat to last me all day.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/9/2011 3:45:00 AM More reviews by GoatGoatEtc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

No mascara is my hg. But when the newest creation on the market isn't available I will go back to this. This is a great get-by-till-your-new-fave mascara or starter mascara. I like it in very black

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2011 2:24:00 PM More reviews by user24678

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

My beloved GOSH Lift 'N Shape waterproof mascara has recently been discontinued (why is it that all the products I become attached to either become discontinued or have the formulas changed?), so I needed a new waterproof mascara. I first tried GOSH Length 'N Build, thinking it would be similar, but it wasn't. It pulled the curl right out of my lashes and made them stick-straight (which doesn't work for me because my lashes are long and give a "visor" effect when they're not curled). I've become a bit less particular about mascaras over the past year or two and no longer require anything really special (don't really care about phenomenal volumizing anymore and I don't need lengthening either). I really just wanted a waterproof formula that would be noticeable in a couple coats (not overly dry in application), define my lashes half decently, hold my curl, not crumble/flake, and have a normal-ish brush (nothing too fat/skinny or plastic/oddly shaped). I know that this mascara has been around forever and has about as plain as a brush as you can find, so I decided to give it a shot on a whim. I'm actually glad I decided to try it. It's not a bad mascara at all. It separates and defines my lashes fairly nicely (I might have to arrange a few lashes, probably due to the sparse spiral bristle layout of the brush, but otherwise my lashes look pretty neat with minimal fuss) and leaves a fairly nice effect, though, again, nothing spectacular in terms of volumizing or lengthening. It holds a curl just fine. It also doesn't run, smudge, crumble or flake, and although it doesn't leave my lashes as pliable as GOSH's did, it doesn't leave them totally crunchy either. I don't have any real complaints about it and it leaves my lashes looking pretty nice. Certainly can't complain about the price either!
Update: After having used this for several days, I'm not sure if I like it anymore. It leaves my lashes really hard (maybe now that the tube has been opened and used for a few days) and I worry it may be making them brittle. It's also unbelievably hard to remove, even after soaking my lashes in pure mineral oil. It takes me a good 15 minutes every night just to fully remove this stuff, which is insane. The spiral layout of the brush is also proving to be more of a pain than I had originally anticipated. I find I have to go over each area quite a few times just to ensure I haven't missed any lashes. I'm going to head back to the store and look for something better. *Sigh*
Update: This definitely caused some lash breakage, which has finally grown back after several weeks. I will not be using this on a regular basis anymore. I'll probably just try to use the tube up but avoid using it more than once or twice a week to make it easier on my lashes, or use it over my Maybelline waterproof Full 'N Soft to kind of seal it (I've been finding that the Full 'N Soft has been wearing off my lashes throughout the day for some reason). Daily use of this directly on the lashes is just too damaging.

Update 09/30/2011: After noticing that any lash breakage happens during the removal of this mascara at night (I think because it makes them so hard and crunchy so they become brittle, and then you end up breaking them when you're trying to work the stuff off), I decided to try changing my removal routine. I now apply pure Vaseline to my lashes first (I kind of "pinch" it onto my lashes with my fingertips), and then continue my pre-bed routine (floss and brush my teeth, trim/tweeze my brows, etc.), and THEN start working the product off with a cotton circle soaked in pure unscented baby oil (mineral oil), once the Vaseline has had time to sit and soak for a bit. By the time I get around to removing it, the Vaseline has already softened my lashes up a bit and I am then able to remove it easier and without breaking my poor lashes. I like this mascara a lot more again, now that I've seem to have found a way around the lash breakage during removal. I've gotten used to the brush and actually prefer it now. I gives my lashes nice separation and definition, as well as a little volume and length. I especially love that it's the only other mascara I've tried, besides my beloved discontinued GOSH Lift 'N Shape, that doesn't flake into my eyes at all throughout the day or as the formula gets a bit older/drier. It would be nice if the extra step to remove it wasn't necessary, but I will deal with it for now because I haven't yet found a mascara that I like better.

Update 10/04/2011: I noticed the other morning that I am experiencing lash breakage from this mascara again! There's a cluster of a few lashes near the inner corner of my right eye that are basically broken right in half, and once I saw that and started looking more closely, I saw a few more here and there that have also been snapped off. Boo! :( The search continues...

rated 3 of 5 on 12/9/2010 4:57:00 PM More reviews by ScentedLead

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

The first time I bought this, I used it the next day after buying and it did nothing for my lashes. The next time I bought this, I let it sit unopened for over a year and it ended up giving me really thick lashes with only two coats.

Very Black is very dark and I can't really tell the difference between it and Blackest Black (which is available only in washable). It is fairly waterproof during foggy days and the wand is okay at separating my lashes. But, whether I use it immediately or wait a year, it dries kinda stiff and makes my lashes feel like I hairsprayed them.

As for taking it off, it is kinda stubborn. I have to let my eyelashes soak in oil for more than a few minutes before it's soft enough to remove. If I don't do that, the tugging and pulling to get it off would also pull out some lashes.

It's the cheapest of Maybelline's mascaras and if I were on a tight budget, I might buy this again, but only with bogo-free sales.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2010 7:39:00 AM More reviews by TheReviewLady

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I used to use this mascara in "brownish black" in high school. This was when I was still saving money for months to buy a single Maybelline lipstick. I probably had two lipsticks, two eyeshadows, one concealor, and one mascara in those days. Do you see where I'm going here? This is mascara for the uninitiated. If you are not spoilt by high-end mascara, you can make Great Lash "work". It's not by any means "great". It's extremely wet, clumpy, tacky, and un-dramatic. It probably made my lashes fall out, but I recall it being smudge-proof. What I used to do was wipe off the brush with a square of scrap paper (this works better than tissue because tissue can leave fibers on the wand), apply it to my lashes and separate my lashes with a lash comb. After that, I applied anything left over on the wand to my brows. I would repurchase this if it were the last mascara left on earth and I am struck by a sudden crazy desire to fiddle with my lashes.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/6/2010 10:57:00 AM More reviews by highwayrendezvous

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Black

I LOVE THIS MASCARA. It works for me! It gives me pretty, natural lashes and I got it in "Blackest Black", so it kind of naturally defines my eyes. Though I have oily lids, it doesn't smudge! What I love is that it holds the curl of my lashes all day, and this is a must-have in my kit. Too bad they don't sell this in my country. I will have to find a replacement for it.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/30/2010 10:58:00 PM More reviews by lucyann36

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This does nothing for my lashes, and has no staying power. Ugh.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2010 8:22:00 PM More reviews by Sweetienat123

I have been using this for about 10 years and I love it! I have straight lashes, and curl them with an eyelash curler. This is the only mascara I've tried that keeps them curled and looking great all day/night. I wear the blackish brown shade everyday and will continue to buy it probably forever! I only put this on my upper lashes, it doesn't clump, I buy a new one when it begins to dry/run out, and it never smudges on me.