October 23, 2014 | 860 users online

Pressed Powders - Revlon - Colorstay Pressed Powder with SoftFlex

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2010 9:31:00 PM More reviews by Dreamcrusher86

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm really liking this powder.It doesn't get cakey like alot of others can.I use a nice fluffy powder brush from Sonia Kashuk and it blends the powder in nicely.It helps control shine and makes my makeup last.There is no weird smell which I cannot stand in powder!! I like the compact.I don't find it to be made cheaply.I have had no problems with it and to me it feels sturdy.The coverage is light,which I like best in pressed powders.I have the shade in fair which is a pretty good match.For drugstore powder this is the best.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2010 4:40:00 AM More reviews by lygophilia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been wearing and loving the Colorstay foundation for oily/combo skin formula and absolutely loving it. I thought I would give the powder from this line a trial as well, especially based on the positive reviews and rating on MUA.
I purchased the "light" colour as it was the lightest shade available and actually I'm surprised that Revlon doesn't make a translucent or fair shade. The colour is a nice neutral shade with neither strong pink or yellow tones, making it quite versatile for many people to use. Personally the colour is a pinch to dark for me, but I use it sparsely to set my foundation and use a different powder for touch ups throughout the day. The sponge applicator provided didn't work for me as it made my makeup look cakey, messy, smeared, and it was difficult to blend and set my foundation. I just used my usual fluffy makeup brush and the application went a lot smoother.
The powder did a decent job of keeping my skin matte and smooth, but definitely not 16 hours as advertised on the packaging. I could go about 5 to 6 hours before I felt I needed to touch up my t zone.
Personally I wouldn't repurchase due to the lack of lighter shades and desire to try different products, just not my HG I was hoping for.

UPDATE - Thanks to the advice and suggestion of a fellow MUA lady I found and purchased the colour "fair" through Ebay at a rockin' price!! I'm going to up my lippies from 3 to 5!! The fair colour is perfect for my complexion and this powder really preforms well!!! So happy and this is one of my two HG powders now! I have already reordered 3 more from Ebay to hoard for future use. :)

rated 2 of 5 on 1/25/2010 9:51:00 AM More reviews by fuzzywuzzywuzabearbuthadn

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I regret buying this. I have to remind myself not to be suckered in by pretty packaging!

For reference: I am a dirty blonde with dark hazel eyes and a bisque-to-beige skintone with warm-to-olive undertones.

Price: Bought this for $9.99 at my local CVS. I expected to be paying for quality. I wasn't (read on to see what I mean). I bought this because I have recently run out of my beloved L'Oreal True Match pressed powder.

Packaging: Nice simple black case with a white "REVLON" printed on top. Very simple, something I don't mind carrying around in my purse and touching up with. The puff isn't the greatest, though, and I wish there were a seperate compartment for it. Mirror could be bigger, too. Slim and sturdy. Overall, not bad for drugstore packaging. I gave it a 4 for packaging quality.

Color: I got this in Light, and it's the perfect color for me.

Coverage: Light. I would say about the same coverage as a medium tinted moisturizer. On days when I'm outside or running around, it diffuses my flaws, but by no means covers them.

Texture: Icky ick ick. I have very high standards for powder, and this stuff failed miserably. Save yourself some money and buy the NYC powder. Seriously. Feels kind of finely milled, but definitely not good quality. Veryveryvery chalky. Once I got through a little bit of the powder, in the compact you could see little white flecks and grains of powder that hadn't been milled well enough. For $9.99, the least that they could do is mill the powder properly. Honestly, my *$1.99* NYC Smooth Skin Pressed Powder has a better texture than this.

Finish: The actual matte finish is nice, but because of the cheap-o texture, this powder looks cakey, clings to pores, and picks up all of your flakies.

Staying Power: A bit better than my L'Oreal True Match Powder. Does keep me matte for a fairly long time, at the price of being quite cakey.

Other Notes: wish it had an SPF.

How I Wear It: I use it to set my Maybelline Mineral Power Natural Perfecting Concealer with a powder brush. Use either a powder brush or lightly use the included puff to stay matte throughout the day. Okay as a finishing powder, horrific as a blot powder.

Buy It Again: No way. I'll stick with my L'Oreal True Match for finishing, my NYC for blotting, or maybe try something else. I'll continue to use it because it is okay as a setting powder and I would hate not to use something that I spent $10 on, but I have really lost my faith in Revlon products.

Summary: Liked the packaging, color, and staying power, but hated the price, texture, and finish.

Suggested Alternate Purchase: If you're looking for a great setting powder, buy L'Oreal True Match Super-Blendable Powder. It's truly amazing. No, the packaging isn't as cute as Revlon's, and yes, it is about 50 cents more expensive, but that 50 cents more is giving you much, much, much better quality powder. Very finely milled, never EVER looks cakey, can be applied with a puff or brush, and has great coverage, enough to be used as a light foundation when applied with a sponge. (For color reference, I bought the Revlon powder in Light, and in the L'Oreal I buy N3 in the summer and N2 in the winter).

If you're looking to save a few bucks, get New York Color Smooth Skin Pressed Powder. It's only 2 bucks, has very simple packaging, and if you buy it in Translucent, it is great for blotting because it doesn't look cakey easily (just don't pile it on). I can't speak for it's coverage because I've never tried it in anything other than Translucent. I hear NYC has a great loose powder too.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/30/2009 4:23:00 AM More reviews by annpatricia

This keeps me matte for hours! I usually only have to apply this once and I am set for the day. Just don't use the sponge/puff it comes with otherwise it creates a cakey look, it's useless. Use your own sponge and you'll achieve the look you want.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/13/2009 9:49:00 PM More reviews by dhuma

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am very fond of most of the colorstay products (I use both the foundation, the liquid eyeliner and the automatic one) but this powder was just okay to me. Although it did keep me matte for a good 3-4 hrs (pretty good for my OILY skin), it takes a lot of work for it not to look cakey when applied. I have to take care not to apply too much and then buff it out really well even after that. Also, I hit pan a lot sooner than I usually do with powders. I would like to give it a 3.5, but if I'm afraid I have to round it down.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/24/2009 9:47:00 AM More reviews by vleemakeup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this powder in medium to go with the colorstay C/O skin foundation in #250 Fresh Beige & found it to be a good match. It's not the smoothest pressed powder I've tried nor is it my favourite. I think it's a good, everyday, generic powder. It's definitely not a silky or as smoothing as Dior's pressed powders, but it does it's job - it provides a mattifying finish. It doesn't help diminish fine lines or plump the skin blah, blah, blah that $80-120AU powders do; but it's fine for everyday use.

I'd buy it again if I bought the foundation again as the colours work well together. I like to apply my powders with a brush to get the smoothest look. When I apply this with the sponge it gives that awful, cakey, big-pored look that ALWAYS happens to me when I apply powder with a sponge (& I don't have large pores). The packaging is really simple & effective too - small compact (I"m talking to you Lauder & Dior & especially Guerlain with your big, hulking, dazzling compacts!!!!) that doesn't take up too much room in your handbag, with a mirror (are you paying attention Guerlain - put a mirror in your Meteorites Pressed Powder - we pay enough for them!!!!) & little white sponge....so perfect for on the run touch-ups.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/17/2009 9:59:00 AM More reviews by cived

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This gives a nice soft finish. I'm not sure if it controls oil, because I've been wearing it over the oil control foundation, which seems to work well, but between the two, my face stays matte for what seems like forever, and I have oily skin.

I don't like the compact much. It feels flimsy, like if I opened it too roughly or dropped it, it would explode. It's got a sleek look but a cheap feel - a light, cheap plastic.

Still, the contents are working well for me so far.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2009 4:48:00 PM More reviews by babykitten9

Unfortunately no luck with this powder :-(
Poor oil control (I am shiny again after like half an hour), the lightest shade is too dark for me (PPP) and it's extremely fragile (no, I didn't even drop it! It was in my bag all the time). It also tends to look cakey if you don't blend it well and that's just not what you want to do if you already have foundation on.
Perhaps my skin is just too oily for it :-( I really wanted to like it.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/13/2009 7:13:00 PM More reviews by Theophilus

I bought this in Light Medium after reading the many positive reviews and decided to give it a try. I was really looking forward to using this as a finishing powder with my Revlon ColorStay liquid foundation.

After application, it didn't look powdery and settled very well into my skin. The shine control was decent and it had a velvety finish. Unfortunately, it made me look very pallid (pale and ghostlike). The pallidness of the powder does mean it provides decent coverage -- just in a bad colour. I couldn't stand the (lack of) colour, and so immediately washed it off. Hence, I cannot say anything about its lasting power or any long-term effect on the skin.

A shame about the chalkiness but it's an otherwise okay powder.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/4/2009 12:45:00 AM More reviews by 96441

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Have been using new complexion before this, so decided to try this. It's just as good as new complexion goes on smooth, gives good coverage, keeps skin matte but lasts longer. Color selection is not that great and it's a bit pricey compared to maybelline powders which are just as good. I would only repurchase if i found it on sale, otherwise i will buy dream matte by maybelline.