October 20, 2014 | 1952 users online

Powder - Physicians Formula - Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Loose Powder

rated 1 of 5 on 4/11/2012 6:24:00 PM More reviews by kf2012

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This review is for the shade "Soft Ivory."

I think PF is a little confused with this product. The packaging claims that it will have "the coverage of a foundation," but this had absolutely no coverage on my skin. My main concerns are some redness and some hyperpigmentation from old acne. This did nothing to cover or even slightly diminish the look of either. I applied 5 layers and got no evening out of my skintone at all. I tried applying with my EdM Flat Top Brush, my BE Full Flawless Face Brush, a concealer brush, and a sponge. Nada. It was like applying a translucent finishing powder.

Except it wasn't really translucent, which brings me to my second gripe. Despite having no coverage, this color was rather dark. It is called "Soft Ivory." Perhaps I'm working with the wrong definition of "ivory," but this gave my skin an odd orangey cast that made it look like I'd applied a sheer bronzer all over my face. It didn't look quite so dark when I swatched it on my neck/chest, but applied all over my face, it was an obvious difference. It was as if I'd applied a generous amount of self-tanner but didn't bother to do the rest of me.

The pros: the texture of the powder is very nice. It is soft, smooth, and finely-milled, and blends into the skin easily. It is neither completely matte, nor is it glowy; it is a skin-like, satiny finish. I cannot speak to breakouts or irritation, since I only wore it for about 10 minutes before taking it off. I noticed no itching while it was on, though, and it didn't feel heavy or cakey at all (which, despite the amount of layers I was wearing, I would certainly expect: there's no coverage!).

I think this would make a decent setting powder or a translucent mattifying powder if one were to find a natural-looking color match. However, this was a total fail as a mineral foundation, and the color is so far from "Ivory" it's laughable. I'll be returning it and won't repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2012 6:07:00 PM More reviews by talieheart

I love love this powder. i have combination skin and this blends in great. it has actually helped my skin, as i dont need foundation when i use it and has dramatically decreased blemishes. definitely will purchase again

rated 2 of 5 on 3/14/2012 12:05:00 AM More reviews by jjquan

I had bought two shades of this powder because I wasn't sure which one I was going to be. I opened the darker of the two and it was way too light. It was so bad that it actually gave my skin a grey cast. It didn't buff into the skin very well either. And it had a little bit of shimmer in it. No thanks.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2012 1:46:00 PM More reviews by AuNatural716

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

REALLY REALLY wanted this to work on me, but once again I have yet another reminder that physician's formula stuff is NOT for my sensitive skin type..I bought this to try it because I was originally interested in the entire Mineral Wear line and noticed this had the same but fewer ingredients as the pressed powder, so I took a minimalist approach and bought this first...I noticed that I am definitely allergic to something in this! I kept sneezing throughout the day and my face puffed up and all these allergic bumps became firm on my face! I washed it off immediately and my face puffiness went back down again..I have concluded that it is EITHER the boron nitride or the lauroyl lysine (a derivative of coconuts) that everyone is reacting to. These are in both the mineral loose and pressed powders, so I returned this product immediately and went back to my Neutrogena.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/29/2012 10:43:00 AM More reviews by Beautyy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

The only good thing about this powder is that it doesn't break me out. It doesn't give good coverage so I have to put it over either a liquid foundation or another powder, which I don't like. I also don't like that the color selection is so limited & in my opinion, can end up looking orange. I've tried a lot of Physicians Formula products & I cant never seem to get a good color match. It sucks because this happens to be one of the only makeup brands that will not cause me to break out.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/6/2012 5:41:00 PM More reviews by justinecalgary

Garbage quality...too expensive!! Its very talc like even thought its supposedly tac free. No coverage at all! Stinks! And it goes on chalky...yuck...nothing like a foundation powder. Never purchase this product!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2012 11:55:00 PM More reviews by NaomiHa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Paid 10.99 for it at CVS which you might think is kinda pricey for a drug store product but for the amount of product you get compare to my favorite bare minerals you are practically paying nothing for this product ( if you love this product that is )

The packaging is too big bulky and unpractical the brush that comes with it scratches my skin so I always end up throwing it away.

I usually just buy this product when I run out of my bare mineral's foundation and is on a tight budget, its the only mineral foundation that I can find that doesnt make my skin flare up or anything crazy like that. HOWEVER

this product can be a little too powdery sometimes so becareful when applying. and this powder is so messy once you open it, it flies all over the place. I can never really finish a whole container before I switch back for my bare minerals.

After finding out about MUA I dont think I will ever repurchase when I can just swap for a different foundation ;)

(currently have this product up for swap in buff beige)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2012 4:07:00 PM More reviews by nataliefrye7

The powder is wonderful! It covers wonderful, and it doesn't break me out! However, the packaging isn't to great, you get to much powder and the brush that comes with it sucks. So I use a different brush, but the product is wonderful. By far my favorite.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2012 8:01:00 PM More reviews by mymelody87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I decided to give this loose mineral foundation a try after PurMinerals reformulated my shade and it didn't match me anymore. I was a 'porcelain' in their old formulation, and in Physician's Formula Mineral Wear Mineral Loose Powder I use Translucent Light, which, despite their extremely limited shade options, I find matches me perfectly.

My biggest skin issues are mild redness across my cheeks and nose and a general appearance of oiliness. I'm very shiny. This product fixes both of those products quite nicely. I also have slightly sensitive skin; occasionally I've found mineral makeup makes my face itch. But Physician's Formula does not. I've even slept with it on and simply reapplied it the following morning, and, try as I might, I can't seem to irritate my face or cause a breakout.

I forget what this cost, but I believe it was in the area of $12. Much cheaper than BareMinerals or PurMinerals, but more expensive than average drugstore makeup. On the other hand, this product is clearly superior to average drugstore makeup, despite its being sold in the drugstore. After getting used to this product, I would actually choose it over any higher end product. That's how happy I am with it.

It's worth mentioning that I doubt this powder can provide full coverage. Since I'm looking simply to even out my skin tone and texture, I find this works beautifully, but when I have a true blemish, I have to go use some cream concealer. That said, this product sets more nicely than most, and doesn't streak or run, but just blends, simply and evenly, so I believe those with most skin types will find this makeup suitable and beneficial on some level, assuming they have a shade match. My mom, who has dry skin, tried some of this product after putting some argan oil on her face as a moisturizer, and she was happy with the results it gave as well. Since it's talc-free, I think it may, in certain situations, be appropriate for those with dry skin, and not just oily skin, like myself.

I have only one gripe about this product, and while it's not a deal-breaker, it is something that I believe the company ought to address: the packaging. I have to store mine in the box it came in because I can't keep the lid on top of the jar, and when the lid pulls up, it pulls the top of the sifter tray up along with it, and makes a horrible mess. They could solve this problem so easily; just add a hinge to the lid, on the opposite side from which the sifter tray hinges, and nothing would come apart unexpectedly. This is a complain I have about many Physician's Formula products, however; while I love the product, I find the packaging bulky and hard to manipulate. Oh well, I'll keep buying this anyway.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2012 9:10:00 AM More reviews by Kelly1205

This make up changed my life. I used to have always-red and angry, broken out with acne or roscaed skin. No more. My skin tone is even, I rarely break out and my rosacea is completely gone. I've done nothing different but use this product. I won't ever be without it!