Milk of Magnesia as Primer

3.9

Price: $

Price: $

I don't have super oily skin, but I have a definite shine on my nose after only a few hours of wearing makeup. I read the raves here on MUA so I decided to give it a go since other mattifiers aren't really helpful. For a few days I applied it in different ways (under moisturizer, over moisturizer, varying levels of product). It did not keep me matte for longer than 3-4 hours. Last week, I was going to a party so I decided to use it all over my face instead of just my t-zone area. It really didn't do much.

A couple days later I broke out like a mofo. My skin had been clear for at least 5 months (AMAZING for an acne-prone girl like me) but I screwed it up in only a couple of days. I had red spots all over my face that almost looked like hives. My skin wasn't smooth any more, it was bumpy and itchy. Took me about a day to realize it was the MOM. Now I'm worried about how long it'll take me to recover from this reaction and whether scars will remain.

NEVER AGAIN. I will only reach for this shiz when I can't poop.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

NONO NONO Ive very very oily skin and SENSITIVE this stuff Clog
My pores Blackheads start to form and It made my skin RED this
DRY OUT my skin it looked like Alligator skin I hate it GIRLs if youve
Sensitive skin DONT USE IT , it TAKE 1 MONTH to recover my skin
again I HATE THIS PRODUCT WOULDNT SUGGEST TO USE IT
BURNED MY SKIN SO BAD :(

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Probably too long of a review, but I've been using MOM for 2 weeks, experimenting with application and with several different foundations & primers and I want to give a fair review and how I've used MOM.

1st of all, I want to say that MOM is for making your face matte and for absorbing oil, it is NOT a PRIMER.

ME = medium beige coloring w/ yellow undertones, clear skin, very, very oily T-Zone. Oily in the AM, all day, and in PM. Can fry and egg on my T-Zone. Foundation slides off my nose/cheeks and clumps up along my nose/mouth area. HORRIBLE LOOK!!

I cut my MOM 4 to 1. 4 parts MOM and 1 part water and keep in a little travel bottle. Shake well before use. I use a make up wedge and soak one end in MOM and apply in a wiping/stipple motion on ONLY my T-Zone. I apply 2-3 coats, letting it dry in between coats. Making sure I spread it evenly. Let dry (I let mine dry 3-5 minutes) If you don't let this dry completly, it doesn't work properly. Yes, there is some white "dust" but primer totally takes care of this issue. (see below)

Then I apply primer. This is a MUST after experimenting. MOM makes your skin matte and leave a "texture" behind. I did not like MOM without primer. Primer smooths the MOM and I find that I'm using less primer with MOM. Plus, the white-ish cast/dust is covered with primer.

Then I apply concealer and foundation. I use the Studio ELF flat-top brush to stipple/buff my foundation in. It drags a little where the MOM is but nothing I can't deal with. Then I use either a little ELF HD powder or Rimmel Stay-Matte in Sandstone with the ELF powder brush.

Now here's the goodie: NO OILY FACE! No sliding of foundation & no oil showing through, blush stays where is should, nose isn't shiny at all. I blot my cheeks maybe once through the day where as without MOM, I would be blotting, powdering, cussin' about my oily face and reapplying foundation several times a day. I can't get over the "dewy" look my face has now. When I look in the mirror during the day, I expect to see my old usual oily face, I only see "dewy", just a natural look, not matte at all.

Here are some CONS I've come across:

*Must let this dry. Can add time to your make up routine.

*Primer is a must to smooth out MOM w/the rest of your skin.

*I can see some very little blackheads on my nose/cheeks right after applying. Not sure if this is clogging my pores or if the blackheads were always there and the white from the MOM makes them more apparent.

*Use only on T-Zone or where you have oil. Make the rest of my face too matte and dry.

Primers I've used w/MOM:
*Rimmel: didn't like w/MOM
*Monistat: didn't like w/MOM
*Avon Magix: didn't like w/MOM
*Claudia Stevens: works very well, nice and smooth
*Ulta Professional Primer: works very well, nice and smooth.
I think MOM works best with primer that is clear and has more "cones" that are needed for the smoothing effect.

Foundations I've used w/MOM:
*Bare Minerals, med beige: Yuck! Nothing makes this foundation work.
*Rimmel Clean Finish, soft honey: Ok--little too thick for me/hard to blend.
*NYC Smooth skin, deep beige: Ok--little too thick for me/hard to blend.
*Cover Girl Clean Sensitive Skin, soft honey: works great, little shiny for me.
*Cover Girl Clean Oil Contol, soft honey: WORKS THE BEST!!

For my skin, I will always have to use an oil-control formulation. I also think a foundation that is more liquid-y works best with MOM. The thicker the foundation the harder it is to blend over the MOM, even with the primer.

All in all, I really like using MOM. I had to experiment with application and foundations, but I love the outcome. I have only used drugstore foundations, and I can only imagine this will work better with some higher end oil-control foundations.
Thanks for reading.

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

It"s been 4 hours since I did my make up and I have not HAD to touch up! I have just a little bit and I stress little bit of shine on my nose, but it doesn't look oily. I have a dew look in that area which I am not use to because I've always been so oily, but i like it.I applied a little powder to see if the MoM would continue to stand up to the job. I used CG Queen collection cream foundation today and I'll try it with the powder foundation tomorrow. If these results continue this will definately be a staple in my make up collection.

For what ever reason I can't post a seperate review so I'll put it here. It's Now April 27th at 9Pm and I am very happy with using this as a primer. I applied it today after washing my face and used my Iman cream to powder foundation and I must say that I was impressed! I had minimal shine and only blotted twice through the day and I really didn't have to it was more out of habit.I didn't like it with the powder foundation. My powder settled into my face and looked bad the same as it would with out the MoM. It works really well with cream and cream to powder foundation. I will definitely continue to use MoM as a primer. Just be sure that you DO NOT put this on your eyes.I got a bit on my right eye lid and it dried that section out resulting in a small crack.. Be careful to avoid the eyes.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Dang! I was so hopeful for this, so many people have had a good result. I am 42, and so weary of the oil slick that is my forehead, only a couple hours after washing. I found this to not slow down the oil at all. When I tried to use it a bit thicker, it was a white chalky mess. Obviously it works for a lot of people, and the investment is low, so I wouldn't discourage people from trying it. Just didn't work for me....sigh.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Awesome, awesome, awesome. Even if I sweat, I get little to no oxidization, oil breakthrough, splotchiness, transferring, creasing, caking, you name it.

And my oil breaks through everything, even Revlon CS.

I've tried so many things out there, and I've finally found something that works. This is an absolutely wonderful product for oily skin.

I can finally use all the foundations I own without getting punished: little to none oxidization, oil breakthrough, or splotchiness.

Just be careful and don't use powder unless it's an extremely finely milled one because this is truly mattifying. If you must use powder, use sparingly and pat into the skin. (Patting in makes a big difference compared to simply swiping/brushing for us oily girls)

A silicone based primer can be used in conjunction to get a smooth, flawless look. If you never thought you could use silicone based primer, just try it with MOM.

Great thing about this is you're now not wasting money with those moisturizers, primers, and foundations you thought you couldn't use.

Although this has greatly lengthened the wear of my makeup, I find that makeup still goes "bad" and gets a bit muddy and whatnot after the 8-10 hour mark, but that's a lot coming from me.

However, I haven't tried it alongside a long-wearing fndt, oil-control mmu, or mattifying powders, so I'll update on that.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

i was really hoping that this worked due to the fact that my skin is so oily that its almost a waist of time for me to apply foundation... it controls my oil for about 3-4 hours but then my skin goes on overdrive and makes a deep fryer look dry. it also make my already large pores look larger. this is only my experience because it works wonders for other people.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I hate it when a product that works so well for so many people, just doesn't work for me. This was a dissappointment! I really thought this would be a godsend. I tried applying this, first, with one layer and that didn't help to control oil for more than about two hours. I was surprised, but decided to give it another shot. I tried applying two layers, and three on my nose. Not only did this not help control oil anymore than prior, it made my foundation cake, sink so far into my fine lines and worst of all, it accentuated my pores. I agree with the post below when she says it gave her "strawberry nose". My foundation just looked so horrible, it was a complete mess. It was just THAT bad. I had to remove my whole face and start over. Try it for yourself. Everyone's skin is different. This just didn't work for me.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

Actually works wonders on my oily skin. I usually apply the Philips Milk Of Magnesia after i have moisturized and primed my skin. I have a Dark Brown Golden Complexion and have no problems with white streaks. I can go the whole day without powder touch ups, maybe a Oil Obsorbing Blotting Sheet and that's it for the day. And I also Have to give credit to Ben Nye Final Seal Matte Spray, these two works wonders on controlling my oily skin. Hope it holds up in summer time.

Ladies, I wish I had something good to say about this. Before I go any further, I just want to say that this is my experience only, and if you wonder if it might work for you, just try it. It's so inexpensive you might as well see if this is a good match for your skin.

I have struggled with combination skin for more than 20 years - my cheeks are normal to dry, while my nose can be an oil slick by mid-afternoon. For my skincare, I often have to use different products on my face to address the various issues I have to deal with (acne from hormones, dry skin in some areas, oiliness in others).

When I first read about MoM, I was very eager to try it. It seemed like the answer to my prayers! Finally, I would be able to find something to keep my nose matte. I unfortunately was highly disappointed.

I tried this for a week. I applied it with a cotton pad and with my fingers. I applied it straight and I diluted it. I let it dry a long time and I let it dry for a short time before applying my makeup. Regardless of my application method, I had the same problems.

First, it accentuated my strawberry nose syndrome. Some of you know what I mean - my pores are so big that makeup settled in and made my nose look like a strawberry. I even have a pore reducing primer (which I normally LOVE) that I used over it to no avail.

The second problem I had was that when I used it, my foundation wouldn't sink into my skin. It would sink into my pores but not my skin and that looked HORRIBLE. I tried using a flat top brush, foundation brush, fingers and a sponge. No luck.

So there I was, every day for a week, going into work with a strawberry-looking nose on which foundation wouldn't settle. At least my nose was matte, right? Yeah, maybe for the first few hours. This unfortunately accelerated the oil production for me and my foundation started breaking up by noon everyday. I guess my skin thought that my nose was super dry because it went into overdrive.

As someone who is approaching 40, it's sort of embarrassing to have this many problems with my makeup.

I'm not totally giving up, however. I may be giving this the lowest rating as a primer, but I still have hope that it will be a great mask.

Popular Primer/ Correctors