September 19, 2014 | 1181 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Milk of Magnesia

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2011 6:59:00 PM More reviews by Lulu2387

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Cool Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Black

Actually works wonders on my oily skin. I usually apply the Philips Milk Of Magnesia after i have moisturized and primed my skin. I have a Dark Brown Golden Complexion and have no problems with white streaks. I can go the whole day without powder touch ups, maybe a Oil Obsorbing Blotting Sheet and that's it for the day. And I also Have to give credit to Ben Nye Final Seal Matte Spray, these two works wonders on controlling my oily skin. Hope it holds up in summer time.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2011 12:21:00 AM More reviews by groovinchic

Ladies, I wish I had something good to say about this. Before I go any further, I just want to say that this is my experience only, and if you wonder if it might work for you, just try it. It's so inexpensive you might as well see if this is a good match for your skin.

I have struggled with combination skin for more than 20 years - my cheeks are normal to dry, while my nose can be an oil slick by mid-afternoon. For my skincare, I often have to use different products on my face to address the various issues I have to deal with (acne from hormones, dry skin in some areas, oiliness in others).

When I first read about MoM, I was very eager to try it. It seemed like the answer to my prayers! Finally, I would be able to find something to keep my nose matte. I unfortunately was highly disappointed.

I tried this for a week. I applied it with a cotton pad and with my fingers. I applied it straight and I diluted it. I let it dry a long time and I let it dry for a short time before applying my makeup. Regardless of my application method, I had the same problems.

First, it accentuated my strawberry nose syndrome. Some of you know what I mean - my pores are so big that makeup settled in and made my nose look like a strawberry. I even have a pore reducing primer (which I normally LOVE) that I used over it to no avail.

The second problem I had was that when I used it, my foundation wouldn't sink into my skin. It would sink into my pores but not my skin and that looked HORRIBLE. I tried using a flat top brush, foundation brush, fingers and a sponge. No luck.

So there I was, every day for a week, going into work with a strawberry-looking nose on which foundation wouldn't settle. At least my nose was matte, right? Yeah, maybe for the first few hours. This unfortunately accelerated the oil production for me and my foundation started breaking up by noon everyday. I guess my skin thought that my nose was super dry because it went into overdrive.

As someone who is approaching 40, it's sort of embarrassing to have this many problems with my makeup.

I'm not totally giving up, however. I may be giving this the lowest rating as a primer, but I still have hope that it will be a great mask.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2011 1:20:00 PM More reviews by puppylover925

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Tan, Cool Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Hello friends! So, after reading all the great reviews I decided to give Milk of Magnesium a try. I bought a 12 oz bottle of Phillips MOM for $3.97 at Walmart. For starters, I have the most oily skin imaginable. Literally 15 minutes after washing my face I can see the oil starting to build in my large pores again. The first day I tried this product, I followed my usual skin care routine... 1. Washed my face with an oil controlling cleanser (ex. Neutrogena 8 hr shine control, Clinique wash-away gel cleanser, etc.)... 2. Applied an oil controlling astringent/toner (ex. Neutrogena Clear Pore Astrigent, Lancome Pure Focus Mattifying Toner, etc.). But before applying a moisturizer or primer I applied MOM.
How you apply it is really a matter of personal preference. I decided to apply it with a cotton ball like I do my toner. One thing to keep in mind with MOM is that a little goes a long way. I usually just apply it to my t-zone, avoiding the eye area because this product is very drying. When it dries, you will almost always see a few white streaks where the product wasn't blended in well enough or you used too much. To get rid of the white streaks you can either apply a little more toner to blend it in or move on to applying your moisturizer or primer. I've found that just applying either of those over the white streak blends it in perfectly.
Anyway, on to the performance of MOM. This is the first product that has EVER significantly controlled my oil production for more than a few hours. When I put on my foundation and powder I looked flawless!!! I was amazed that such a cheap product used for indigestion could be my holy grail. I'm so grateful that MUA introduced this to me. For reference, I use Revlon Colorstay for combo/oily skin. MOM and this foundation work amazingly well together. So please, any oily skin sufferers who have been searching for something that controls for more than 6 hrs, give this a try! This bottle will last you forever and you won't regret it. And for anyone with sensitive skin: this product has no smell and will not break you out. It has a very thin consistency and has not clogged my pores at all. Good luck guys... Oh and sorry for this looong review lol :)

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2011 12:39:00 PM More reviews by adidaisy012

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I use milk of magnesia as a primer, in conjunction with the CG Clean Oil control foundation. Ive only used it for one day, but I am 100% converted. The product wasn't meant for the way I am using it, so I can't complain about the packaging. The bottle that I bought came with a cup, so I just pour a little in the cup and swipe it on my face with a cotton ball. The rest pours easily back into the bottle too! I love this. I am thrilled that something FINALLY controls my oil!!! I have tried everything from masks to astringents to toners, and nothing put so much of a dent in the end. The price is right, and my foundation glides on smooth as can be. LOVE IT!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2011 8:22:00 PM More reviews by RicheleBarbie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This works great if you use it correctly. It takes a few trys to get the perfect amount & way to apply it. I prefer to put this on first then primer then foundation & that seems to last me all day at school (8hrs) I've tried this without primer & it dried out my face like crazy & I've tried it on top of foundation & that doesn't work well for me at all. You just need to test it out & this product works wonder =). they should develop a makeup addition with a dropper

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2011 4:44:00 PM More reviews by Astarael

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I had such high hopes for this. My skin is crazy oily. However it didn't seem to help. I am going to try it again a few more times just to be sure but so far I'm soooo disappointed.

Fyi to the reviewer below: Toilet paper is better than nothing but it doesn't soak up oil nearly as well as (good) blotting sheets do. I've tested this by using blot sheets after toilet paper; there was still a lot of oil left over.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2011 11:58:00 AM More reviews by tdowens

Now that I have been using this as a primer, I no longer worry about checking my makeup throughout the day. It has given me the confidence of knowing that my makeup is fabulous from start to finish of my day!!! I am telling you that is a great feeling and such a sense of relief!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2010 12:11:00 AM More reviews by LittleViolet

I have been trying this in several different ways...in the summer I used it all over, dabbed on with a cotton ball. Worked great. Fall came, it began to look a bit streaky/white (temperatures were getting lower, so maybe I didn't have enough oil to keep it transparent!).

I now only use this for special events or as an overnight mask once a week or less. If you get a breakout anywhere on your body, this is also good to use rather than benzoyl peroxide, say, on your chest because it won't bleach your clothing. I use it probably once a month right now in the winter time.

I have read all of the warning reviews about MoM on MA and I would suggest you do too if you are new to this product! The high basic quality of it is a bit intimidating, and the post about Mg(HO)2 building up in your skin over time was a bit freaky.

I haven't looked in to all the claims about this product yet, but I agree that it works to control oil. I just don't want there to be any weird health risks that bite us in the bum later.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2010 10:59:00 PM More reviews by MsCherry

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this for my oily skin, I put it on under my makeup & it's worked wonders for me!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/14/2010 1:02:00 PM More reviews by kaaaching

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

i heard such good things about this product but it didnt work for me didnt reduce my oil nor did it make my makeup long lasting if anything it made it last more less than it would without the milk of magnesia plus it made my makeup all ehhh no .