December 19, 2014 | 1637 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A Micro

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2011 10:05:00 AM More reviews by Goodyear77

EXCELLENT PRODUCT!!! I have been using Reting a Micro for 5 weeks now for mild to moderate acne that I believe was caused by stress (3 kids a full time job and a divorce!!). I started the first 4 weeks with .04% and within the first 2 weeks my face started breaking out HORRIBLY!! Little whiteheads EVERYWHERE!! My face was a complete wreck. I actually cried myself to sleep on a couple of occasions and took a day off work. I was so embarrassed to go anywhere and be seen in this skin. I stopped using it for a couple days around the 3rd week because it was so terrible. After reading many reviews I decided I had to stick with it because everyone including the Dr. said it would get worse before it got better. I then started using the .1% (Dr. gave me many samples of both). Once I started using the .1% around the 5th week, there was HUGE CHANGE. Yes my skin did peel and got somewhat red and blotchy but I was very careful to moisurize and not use anything harsh or abrasive which kept me from getting raw or chapped skin. Now in my 6th week of treatment my skin is so soft, smooth, even toned and no breakouts. If I get a pimple it is little and gone in a day!! I can only imagine how my skin will look in another couple weeks. I don't really have to wear any makeup on my skin if I don't want to. It is nearly flawless!! I do have very sensitive skin by nature so I was amazed that my skin eventually tolerated this medication the way it has. If you are looking for a treatment for acne (and wrinkles as well) this is the cream for you. No antibiotics needed but you MUST HAVE PATIENCE!! When they they it could take 7 weeks to see positive results this is so true. Stay with it and you will be amazed at the results. I think I will use this forever!!

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2011 7:37:00 PM More reviews by kevinschueller

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

A miracle worker. When nothing else worked, Retin A did it! My skin is clear and youthful looking. I realize that it is a commitment, bit I am now a committed user!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/31/2011 12:44:00 PM More reviews by emhenzz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

Awful, awful product in my experience. I had mild/moderate acne when I started treatment, and the longer I continued using it the more breakouts I experienced--not just small under-the-skin pimples, but painful cystic acne, which I had only experienced on very, very rare occasion previously. My skin flaked so badly and deeply that no amount of moisturizer could help and I couldn't use make-up to cover the damage. My skin also never adjusted to the chemicals in Retin-A Micro, and the product gave me chemical burns the entire time I used it. This was with the mildest formula available. I tried to stick with it, since your skin's supposed to get worse before it improves on this product, but after a year my dermatologist gave up on it.

As soon as I took this product out of my skincare regime my skin started to repair itself, and now that I've been off of it for a year my acne is back to where it was before: annoying and persistent, but definitely mild. I'll never come within ten feet of this stuff again.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/29/2011 11:40:00 PM More reviews by catjacarol

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have used Retin A (not the micro form) off and on for years. I have very acne prone skin, super oily, low turn over off surface and extremely prone to scarring (thanks Dad!).

Using Retin A alone never gave me the miracle results that others claimed to have for their acne, but I also had very tough to treat cystic acne since I was in my very early teens. No redness, no irritation, no flaking only very limited resolution of the mild acne lesions, not of the cysts. I used Accutane twice with only limited success, and if there was a prescription or OTC product that said it would help, I would try it. I finally found relief from my acne when I used this in combination with Obagi products daily, and using the VI peel system to intensively treat the scarring. I think that for some people, a combination of medications is necessary.

I am on a maintenance regimen that includes Retin A, I still don't have any flaking or redness. I use the strongest dose every single night, and have recently started using an oil free moisturizer, not because I am feeling dry, but because I am getting older and my plastic surgeon insists that I start it in order to prevent developing fine lines and wrinkles (none yet because I am so oily, so thanks again Dad! *wink*).

I do not ever intend to be without Retin A in my skin health regimen. I consider this to be a health issue, not a beauty issue, because my skin is no longer painful to touch and I am not making new scars...in fact the old ones are going away, slowly, but surely. I get this from the surgeon's office so it is very convenient, and it is very reasonably priced.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/27/2011 6:21:00 AM More reviews by retinoladdict

As my username suggests, I am obsessed with using Retin-A. I have been using Retin A Micro on and off since I was 17 (21 now). It is quite an expensive habit to fund but it is worth it (for me) in the long run. I have always had quite moderate acne with sensitive skin and can't really use any form of fake tan or moisturiser without a massive breakout. Retin-A however seems to keep everything under control. I personally feel that cheaper products like Benzoyl peroxide can keep acne under control just as well as Retin-A. I would only reccommend Retin-A if you are willing to undergo a lifetime commitment to using it. I stopped using it for 6 months and it almost completely reversed the skin improvements- I once again had acne and an uneven complexion. I am now using it again and have been for the last 5 weeks, I am still 'purging' but my skin is starting to feel smoother once more. A side effect that I hadn't anticipated is the anti-aging properties! I naturally look quite young for my age but using this product lead to getting ID'd a lot more! Someone said I looked 17 the other day, which is quite a big deal when you're 21. You also hear that women in their 40s look like they are in their 30s because of using this cream. However I am not sure whether this is strictly due to the cream alone (hint hint restylane, botox). It is an excellent exfoliator but comes with sacrifices if you want to use it for life. It thins the epidermis but thickens the dermis.This means a lifelong commitment to using heavy sunscreens, avoiding perfume around the face, not being able to wax your facial hair, having to use oil-free,perfume-free moisturisers, not going sunbathing, not being able to wear fake tan (it will peel off and make your face red) and limiting your makeup choices to also oil free and perfume free ranges. If you wear contact lenses, it may also lower your tolerance and might make your eyes too dry to use them.
This cream needs to be used properly by people who know what they are doing. If acne care is your only concern, there are excellent alternatives from your doctor (such as topical benzoyl peroxide and oral minocycline) that will clear up your skin well. With Retin-A you will be amazed by the clarity and smoothness of your skin after 3-4 months of use ( usually not the 7 weeks it states) however it will rapidly reverse once you stop using it. Avoid if you don't want to be on a cycle of dependence to this cream.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/31/2011 12:20:00 PM More reviews by Imimpressions

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'm 34 and have cared about my skin since I was in my 20's. I'm a faithful Clinique user but was noticing the wrinkles were starting when I hit 30. I then went on a binging spree, trying every product from the expensive Perricone, Estee Lauder, Lancombe, Arbonne, Mario Badescu, even Dior and my skin progessively got worse from reactions to all the fragrances in these expensive brands. So.....I started my journey back 32 when I went back to Clinique. It got my skin under control but still had wrinkles. I watched Dr. Oz who said Retin-A is soooooooo important. So last year I went and got a prescription, and I feel really bad about this from reading the other posts but for a 20g tube, with my health coverage I pay 3 dollars at costco.
I started really slow every 3 days, began to peel so went to once a week. Then slowly got back up to once every 3 days. Within a month (be patient) my skin looked amazing. I kept getting compliments. But in June because my kids and I are water babies, I decided to stop since I was in the sun more and I'm allergic to SPF. After a month and a half off of it my skin was looking not the same. I started back two weeks ago and my skin is back to being fantastic. I was in line at Walmart and 3 ladies stopped me to tell me how gorgeous my skin is. All I had on was a think layer of Mac Studio FX and some of that hawaiian blush powder from mac.

This is what I do:

am
Exfoliate - MUST DO THIS EVERYDAY - don't worry.....it will be OK
Cinique #2 Toner
Serum (which ever I have sample of..genefique now)
Clinique yellow moisturizer

pm
Clinique #2 Toner
Serum
Clinique yellow moisturizer

Retin A night (once every three nights)
Clinique #2 Toner
WAIT 20 MINUTES - MUST DO....(I usually watch a dvd tv sitcom...I can laugh while I'm waiting)
Retina A - Put on a pea size of Retin-A and spread everywhere
Clinique yellow moisturizer - I slab it on!

and VOILA perfect skin. I tell everyone about this product....it's amazing. But remember patience patience patience...and be thankful if you live in Canada and have medical coverage because this is the best product to use and cheapest....UNBELIEVALBE!!!!!!

UPDATE:
This killed my skin, it made it super super sensitive and finicky. Clinique could do nothing to help and if you use retin you CAN NOT use any skin products with alcohol, it will hurt your skin. Clarins has helped restore my skim

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2011 6:23:00 PM More reviews by sharrell

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I think the most important rule to remember when you begin using Retin-A Micro (.1%), is that you WILL have a tough breaking-in period. It will only last about three weeks and when you make it through to the other side, you will be so amazed by the results, that you will never use anything else! To me, it really is a miracle product. I am 38 and have used it for about three years now. When I started I had OK skin with minor breakouts and lots of sun damage and old acne scarring. My skin looked dull and the fine lines were beginning to set in. I started with Renova .5% and the flaking and redness began but it wasn't unbearable. Alittle annoying and embarrassing but I would just tell people I was using Retin-A when they commented and it was no biggy. I use SPF 15 religiously and did notice that when I got too much sun from running or bike riding and not wearing a hat, the flaking would get much worse. Fast forward to three months of using RA Micro .1% b/c the Renova is too greasy for me, and I cannot say enough what a complete turnaround my face has made. My skin is better than EVER. I have radiant, even, poreless (which is what my friends say), youthful looking skin. I don't have to wear any foundation now and I rarely ever get a pimple. It changes the way you get a pimple. They are small, never head up and go away quickly. The lines around my mouth, parentheses, are totally gone. The ones around my eyes are superficial enough to not notice at all. It makes me GLOW, put it that way. All I use is Aveeno Positively Radiant cleansers at night, wait five min., slather on the RA-Micro and that's it! During the day, Neutrogena SPF 15 oil free moisturizer under my makeup and that's it! Once you realize what this product does for your skin you don't need all that other stuff! I think beginning with Renova is a good start b/c its more moisturizing and helps you to adjust slowly. Now I am able to use the RA Micro .1% without incident and I will never use anything else. I simply cannot say enough about this product. For me it has changed everything and my pictures are my best proof! Don't waste any more money on products that are trying to be Tretinion. The price is high, yes. The product lasts for over eight months and when you add that up compared to the crap products you are buying monthly and seeing no results, you are actually saving money with Tretinion. It's not easy in the beginning but nothing worth anything ever is! Stick with it and you will fall in love, believe me!!

16 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/10/2011 3:33:00 PM More reviews by xpeach_lollipopx

This is a good product, but it isn't a miracle product. I've had acne for almost 8 years now. I suffer from moderate acne which includes whiteheads, blackheads, cystic acne, pustules, papules. I had used differin, acne.org (which ruined my face), murad, proactiv (3 different times), herbal treaments, almost every drugstore brand, and different oral perscriptions. Finally, fustrated and fed up with poor results, I found a really good dermatologist and she started me out on RAM and doxycycline.

When I first started RAM, it only increased my fustration. My face flared up and was flakey as all get out. I wanted to cry. But I kept it up for four months, before I FINALLY saw results. And that's the key. I think the majority of people who use this product quit too soon. While it does take forever to begin working, it DOES work.

However, it isn't perfect either. I've used this for a little over 6 months and I still get some acne and it hasn't done anything for my post-acne scarring and marks (although that was stated as one of the benefits). It also hasn't done anything for my skin texture (my skin is still pretty uneven and is super oily). But, it's the only product that has helped me in any way. So I would recommend giving it a try.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/10/2011 3:10:00 PM More reviews by AmCam28

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have been using RAM for 4 months, alternating nights with Differin, which I've been using for 10 months. Since I'd been on Differin and only use RAM every other night, my skin didn't react terribly to RAM. I only experienced dryness. Between these two prescriptions my skin is easy to manage, even, and very clear.

I use these products AS DIRECTED by my derm. My skin is more sensitive now, so I pay attention to how it reacts to products. The only time my skin is really dry or breaks out is when I try new products. I don't use any other medicated products unless they've been approved. On my own, I tried a 2% salicylic acid cleanser and it dried my face so badly, it took weeks to repair. Lesson learned.

I have oily, sensitive skin and I can use these products without any adverse reaction. I add Cerave lotion if I need more moisture. Hopefully this helps someone who's getting used to retinoids.

AM-
Dove or Olay Sensitive
Clinique DDMG with Banana Boat Ultra Defense Faces SPF 30
If needed, Persa-gel spot treatment

PM-
Dove or Olay Sensitive
RAM/Differin, alternating nights
If needed, moisturize with Clinique DDMG

EDIT: I have discontinued use of RAM and only use Differin. I can now use several non-medicated cleansers and SPF 15 lotions for sensitive skin without any adverse reaction. My skin is now less sensitive, doesn't break out, and goes days with out even a tiny spot. My skin is much less finicky off of RAM and doesn't break out every time I try a new product. I didn't realize how sensitive RAM had made my skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/9/2011 10:20:00 PM More reviews by limari87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used this product years ago when I was struggling with acne and the only thing it did for me was get rid of my blackheads. As far as improving my acne, it didn't work out at all.