MAC #190 Foundation Brush

4.2

on 10/13/2010 1:37:00 PM

I got this after the mua suggested I use it w my new pro long wear foundation I'm actually really disappointed in thus brush I use very lil foundation and it makes it real streaky I have to go back and use another brush or sponge and if I have to do that might as well just use a sponge and take this back ...... I've tried diff way of applying it w/o no success ! I have a Sephora and organic one that's cheaper and work better it's not the price but if it worked I would use ;( but since it doesn't it's going back ! Sorry Mac !

on 9/27/2010 1:52:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

I love love love this brush. My Chanel Teint Innocence foundation looks perfectly applied (and natural) ever since I got this brush. Yes, your liquid foundation will look a bit streaky when you first apply it with this brush but it takes all of one minute to get it blended perfectly. What I do is roughly dot my face with foundation and then blend outwards with short brush strokes.

Anyway, I've had this brush for about six months (with almost daily usage) and it hasn't lost a single fibre. In fact, it's pretty much in the same condition as when I bought it.

on 9/23/2010 7:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I have been using some non-brand foundation brush for a bit now, and I just purchased a special edition kit that included this, and I am in LOVE! This applied my Revlon Colorstay foundation so beautifully. I had tried MAC's stippling brush before this, but it just didn't work! I am so happy :) I have been eyeing this brush for almost 6 months, and I finally saw a good deal in the Cosmetic Company Store, which is an outlet that sells MAC/Bobbi Brown/Clinique/Estee Lauder (all of which are owned by Estee Lauder). I had bought a Special Edition brush kit last year for almost 50$ and the same one was at the outlet for 34$ !! SO...back to the brush, it really is worth it, it's my favorite now :)

on 9/23/2010 9:27:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is the only MAC brush that has dissapointed me. Even if you use a small ammount of foundation it really gives a cakey result. In order to blend foundation properly, you'll have to use a second brush (such as #187) or a sponge. It costs 24Euro, it's made of synthetic hair and it's also very hard to clean. Still prefer sponges for applying foundations.

on 9/22/2010 3:50:00 PM

This is the only MAC brush that I've had a problem with the quality.
The brush/metal part is loose and come off from the handle. I know it's nothing that glue can't handle, but I feel for the price this shouldn't happen within the first 6 months! My other brushes have lasted 7years!
I should note that the crimping on this brush (the dents in the lower part of the metal that help hold it to the handle) is not as defined and is lower than on my other brushes. When I look at this brush online the crimping on this brush is like my good ones, so I feel this is just my brush.

This brush allows foundation to be blended in nicely. It's great at getting into the crevices around the nose. I have also use this brush to apply primer and it works fine. The MAC sales person also said I could use this to apply moisturizer, but I've never felt the need to try this.

on 8/20/2010 3:18:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have mixed feelings about this brush. On one hand it's extremely well made and hasn't shed a hair since I got it. On the other this has a tendency to streak when applying product if I don't make sure this gets a very, very thorough wash before hand and is nice and dry. Normally this wouldn't be a problem but because this is such a dense brush it would be nice to be able to use this two days in a row once in awhile without doing a full on wash instead of just say, cheating and using a makeup wipe so I can just be ready to go. The bristles have a nasty tendency to clump together when wet with product to which makes for an utterly unpleasant feeling and application process. I don't hate this product but if I could go back in time I wouldn't repurchase it either.

on 7/29/2010 12:07:00 PM

Brilliant brush! All MAC brushes are wonderful though so I suppose no review is even needed!
It is pricey at 25 pounds but if you're serious about make-up, as I am, it's not too much of an issue.
It looks professional, and works as well as you'd hope on first impressions. It's obviously suited best to applying liquid foundations (I use it with my Studio Fix Liquid and Bobbi Brown tinted moisturiser and Clinique Superfit) but it can also be used in place of a concealer brush for liquid concealers like my Select Cover, which i feel it applies really well.
It leaves no ugly 'streak' marks that i've found with cheaper foundation brushes and the synthetic fibres ensure that no product is absorbed by the bristles. It has absolutely no fall out which is also a common problem with cheap brushes. Overall it just works with foundation for a beautiful coverage and even application.

on 7/20/2010 11:27:00 PM

I go back and forth on the MAC 190. I really wanted to adore it, but I might be trying alternatives soon. While the 190 applies my MAC studio fix fluid foundation beautifully, it's not without much CLEANING and prep work. The issue is that the 190's firmly packed bristles RAPIDLY collect and solidify product. If one isn't careful to reclean promptly, the brush becomes rigid and unusable.
The cleaning process itself is a hassle since the bristles just seem to hold stubbornly to all of the foundations I've used it for. Also, the bristles split and tend to cause a streaky effect once the product starts to dry on the brush... which is usually after 10 seconds of first application!

Ironically, I think I would rebuy this if ever it broke. It's one of those face brushes that a MAC makeup guru needs to have. It comes in handy, hassle and all.

on 7/7/2010 8:14:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I've had the 190 for five years now and until I recently discovered the amazing power of duo-fiber brushes I was pretty happy with it. It gets the job done, and as far as flat synthetic foundation brushes go, this is as good as it gets. It's held up well and hasn't shed a single hair since I got it. It is a bit tough to clean as the bristles are packed tightly together, but you're going to have the same problem with any brush of similar construction. The reason I switched over to the duo fiber was that this brush does in fact leave behind a bit of streaky brush marks and it can be hard to blend them out without loosing foundation coverage. I'm still glad I have it in my collection though.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

it's a nice product but it takes to long to apply the foundation and then i need a sponge to blend everything out how i like it. i just use it sometimes to dot the foundation on my face and then blend everything with my beauty blender.

Top Rated MAC Products