December 22, 2014 | 882 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2011 11:46:00 PM More reviews by hjjung

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

EDIT:
hmm I don't know why I gave such a rave review originally. This might be really good for combination skin or oily skin, but I have dry skin and this makes me look like I have fine lines all over my face, especially around my eyes, no matter how heavily I moisturize. My biggest problem is the redness around my nose, and if I layer this over the red areas a couple times, it ends up looking very dry and chalky.. I think it's a good mineral foundation though. You should definitely try samples, but I don't think my skin type fits well with mineral foundations in general. If for some reason this seems to not work with your skin, try exfoliating. You can't achieve a flawless look if you have dead skin cells all over and put powder on top of them. But this just seems to suck out all the moisture from my skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/24/2011 11:15:00 PM More reviews by THLuver33

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

I wish I could say I really liked this mineral foundation but I can not. It looked wonderful when first applied and matched my skin (I used the color Cool 0 and even it was too dark.) But when I stepped outside and checked it in a mirror it had a orange tinge to it and made my pores and acne scars stand out even more. As well the coverage was not enough for me. I prefer full coverage and this gave me sheer to light at best. It also made me break out. Sadly I will not repurchase this mineral foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2011 10:07:00 PM More reviews by meg0926

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I've tried loads of mineral foundation powders (BE, youngblood, aromaleigh, everyday minerals, Lucy, meow) and continually come back to Alima. The color range is simply fantastic and not nearly as confusing as many other brands (I'm olive 1.5), the packaging is pretty and convenient, and the foundation is pretty much fool proof. It doesn't sink into my pores or fine lines and always looks natural... Not too matte or too shiny. I am oily in summer, normal in winter, and I do need to blot with this in the summer, but it doesn't smear off when I do. Most days I apply with the Alima foundation brush (LOVE) dry over my MUFE full cover concealer. For night or heavier coverage, I spritz the brush with water after I've loaded the product and then apply. No need fir serious buffing, just a light hand.
Runner up mmu for me is Lucy minerals (great coverage and skin-like finish, limited colors) and meow (better oil absorbtion in summer, not as natural of a finish).

rated 4 of 5 on 8/8/2011 11:57:00 PM More reviews by msjaim

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

i ordered a couple of samples that included
FOUNDATION:golden 5 and golden 4. that golden 5 is spot on with my summer hue. i will save the golden 4 sample for when im a lil lighter during winter and fall. this is my second try for mineral..just tried neutrogena and its not too bad, but i really like the alima..i used the ecotools brush and used veeeeery little. i dont have to many skin issues, but this powder evened me out..not too matte, but a really natural finish. im a modest chick, but i kept loooking at myself in the mirror...lol. i initially used bobbi brown skin liquid foundation, then went to a more natural
brand korres wr liquid foundation...i stumbled across alima while searching for other natural brands and im so glad i did. loving the free samples too !

rated 3 of 5 on 7/23/2011 4:52:00 PM More reviews by lilylamp

i was impressed by the natural ingredients, and it was fascinating to try all the different colour combinations and see what a difference a small difference in shade can have on your overall look. Like one other reviewer on this board, i received a comment that i was looking sickly while wearing one particular sample shade, others however gave me a radiant hue. takes a bit of trial and error to find the right shade. turns out the warm colours suited me best .For the first hour or so wearing alima i would look stunning, Airbrushed yet natural all at once. often using a primer beneath and finishing powder on top, but even so, streaking seemed to happen so easily and quickly with this foundation and i really HATED that. Its hard going from looking fabulous and perfect to streaky in a matter of hours. Makes you feel very insecure with your makeup. Id prefer a foundation that looked mediocre but stayed that way all day at least, instead of melting off and looking a right mess with the slightest bit of sweat or humidity! And dont even think of wearing this if your prone to the odd prememnstral crying outbursts over, say- some soppy song on the radio on your way to work. Wearing alima in this circumstance will leave your face literally an absolute mess ( i speak from personal experience). i ve gone back to wearing good old revlon colourstay. doesnt look as good as alima, and certainly no where near as natural, but its reliable and doesnt ever streak.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2011 3:24:00 PM More reviews by Hawko

This mineral powder does not have enough coverage, to me its somewhere between sheer & medium coverage. For the price Alima charges, its not worth it. I like Everyday Mineral SM better.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/23/2011 12:11:00 PM More reviews by Alisuka

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm really on the fence with this product. I am in love with their color selection (huge!), and have a perfect match in Golden 3 (or 4 when I am tan). I have really yellow undertones, my skin looks kinda orangey-yellow-fake tan when I have a tan, so this isn't easy to do! Plus, I like knowing that I am not clogging my pores, which most products seem to do nowadays. The coverage is decent for a MMU, but I definitely have to use concealer around my nose and scars, spots, etc.
Now the negatives:
The finish isn't awesome...it's just ok. It emphasizes my pores, and yes, I do use a primer/moisturizer--you MUST with this product to get any kind of consistent coverage. It also clumps and sticks to any spot that is slightly oily or dry, so any healing blemishes are going to draw attention, as the makeup will cluster there. Finally, for oily skin, the finish does not stay matte at all like most powders would do. I use MAC Blot over mine, otherwise my face would look shiny within the hour.
I said I would buy this product again, as I have yet to find an HG everyday foundation powder that doesn't clog my pores/break me out/has my shade. I dont want to use heavy makeup on a daily basis, but do need some coverage, and this works decently for that purpose.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/22/2011 3:24:00 PM More reviews by atomickittenlove

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Nightmare product.

Background: I've used this for the past four years. I found this while looking for a non-toxic, non-irritating foundation. The very first time I applied this my skin started itching- but subsided in thirty minutes. It never did that again- but I should have listened to the silent screams of my skin right then and there. I knew the limitations of this powder but I continued using it for setting other foundations or hiding the pores on my nose (which would only last for about an hour). Recently, I had a very bad reaction to something and my face blew up. I had to go to a skin specialist and everything. Slowly things were getting better after a week and half with no makeup, cleansers, etc. I decided to put my big girl heels on and wear some foundation on a night out. Everything was fine- the makeup looked beautiful no skin irritation. I continued using that for three days straight. gravy. Then, I got a bit paranoid after looking at that particular foundations ingredients and seeing a number of comedogenic things listed. So I decided it wasn't worth the risk and figured alima- based on its ingredients- would be the safest bet. I WAS DEAD WRONG.

After two days of wearing it- and applying more than usual since it was the only product I was working with and needed coverage, my face exploded. The last night I wore it my face began to itch but I was out on the town and couldn't remove it. Im so mad at myself for ruining the good progress i was seeing.

There are only three ingredients - but I'm thinking it has to be the mica- or whatever the mica is coated in. Here are some more cons if you're not skin sensitive....

* Shipping costs to Canada are ridiculous!
* Oxidizes in patches after a few hours
* Seems to slide off skin and/or sit on top of it
* Accentuates pores after an hour or two
* Container is messy (perhaps all mineral makeup is)
* Very dusty- I feel like I'm inhaling it when trying to tap it outta the container
* Alima seems to not want to post any negative reviews on their website- trust me Ive tried.

I'm glad it works for some but, for me, this has been terrible and it only took me four years to walk away... *facepalm*

rated 3 of 5 on 7/21/2011 12:57:00 PM More reviews by zimmeju

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is so powdery looking on me I think it might look better on ladies with oily skin. I'll stick with my Merle Norman Purely Mineral Powder which goes on creamy and dewy and the shimmer is light.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/20/2011 9:42:00 PM More reviews by carabara84

I don't know quite why, but this made my face itch & burn pretty much immediately, especially in the creases of my nose and around my mouth. I didn't have time to wash it off so I just dealt with it for 8 hrs :-/ Too bad... The finish was nice and coverage was great! Sensitives proceed w/caution...