October 20, 2014 | 902 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 8/8/2011 11:57:00 PM More reviews by msjaim

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

i ordered a couple of samples that included
FOUNDATION:golden 5 and golden 4. that golden 5 is spot on with my summer hue. i will save the golden 4 sample for when im a lil lighter during winter and fall. this is my second try for mineral..just tried neutrogena and its not too bad, but i really like the alima..i used the ecotools brush and used veeeeery little. i dont have to many skin issues, but this powder evened me out..not too matte, but a really natural finish. im a modest chick, but i kept loooking at myself in the mirror...lol. i initially used bobbi brown skin liquid foundation, then went to a more natural
brand korres wr liquid foundation...i stumbled across alima while searching for other natural brands and im so glad i did. loving the free samples too !

rated 3 of 5 on 7/23/2011 4:52:00 PM More reviews by lilylamp

i was impressed by the natural ingredients, and it was fascinating to try all the different colour combinations and see what a difference a small difference in shade can have on your overall look. Like one other reviewer on this board, i received a comment that i was looking sickly while wearing one particular sample shade, others however gave me a radiant hue. takes a bit of trial and error to find the right shade. turns out the warm colours suited me best .For the first hour or so wearing alima i would look stunning, Airbrushed yet natural all at once. often using a primer beneath and finishing powder on top, but even so, streaking seemed to happen so easily and quickly with this foundation and i really HATED that. Its hard going from looking fabulous and perfect to streaky in a matter of hours. Makes you feel very insecure with your makeup. Id prefer a foundation that looked mediocre but stayed that way all day at least, instead of melting off and looking a right mess with the slightest bit of sweat or humidity! And dont even think of wearing this if your prone to the odd prememnstral crying outbursts over, say- some soppy song on the radio on your way to work. Wearing alima in this circumstance will leave your face literally an absolute mess ( i speak from personal experience). i ve gone back to wearing good old revlon colourstay. doesnt look as good as alima, and certainly no where near as natural, but its reliable and doesnt ever streak.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2011 3:24:00 PM More reviews by Hawko

This mineral powder does not have enough coverage, to me its somewhere between sheer & medium coverage. For the price Alima charges, its not worth it. I like Everyday Mineral SM better.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/23/2011 12:11:00 PM More reviews by Alisuka

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm really on the fence with this product. I am in love with their color selection (huge!), and have a perfect match in Golden 3 (or 4 when I am tan). I have really yellow undertones, my skin looks kinda orangey-yellow-fake tan when I have a tan, so this isn't easy to do! Plus, I like knowing that I am not clogging my pores, which most products seem to do nowadays. The coverage is decent for a MMU, but I definitely have to use concealer around my nose and scars, spots, etc.
Now the negatives:
The finish isn't awesome...it's just ok. It emphasizes my pores, and yes, I do use a primer/moisturizer--you MUST with this product to get any kind of consistent coverage. It also clumps and sticks to any spot that is slightly oily or dry, so any healing blemishes are going to draw attention, as the makeup will cluster there. Finally, for oily skin, the finish does not stay matte at all like most powders would do. I use MAC Blot over mine, otherwise my face would look shiny within the hour.
I said I would buy this product again, as I have yet to find an HG everyday foundation powder that doesn't clog my pores/break me out/has my shade. I dont want to use heavy makeup on a daily basis, but do need some coverage, and this works decently for that purpose.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/22/2011 3:24:00 PM More reviews by atomickittenlove

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Nightmare product.

Background: I've used this for the past four years. I found this while looking for a non-toxic, non-irritating foundation. The very first time I applied this my skin started itching- but subsided in thirty minutes. It never did that again- but I should have listened to the silent screams of my skin right then and there. I knew the limitations of this powder but I continued using it for setting other foundations or hiding the pores on my nose (which would only last for about an hour). Recently, I had a very bad reaction to something and my face blew up. I had to go to a skin specialist and everything. Slowly things were getting better after a week and half with no makeup, cleansers, etc. I decided to put my big girl heels on and wear some foundation on a night out. Everything was fine- the makeup looked beautiful no skin irritation. I continued using that for three days straight. gravy. Then, I got a bit paranoid after looking at that particular foundations ingredients and seeing a number of comedogenic things listed. So I decided it wasn't worth the risk and figured alima- based on its ingredients- would be the safest bet. I WAS DEAD WRONG.

After two days of wearing it- and applying more than usual since it was the only product I was working with and needed coverage, my face exploded. The last night I wore it my face began to itch but I was out on the town and couldn't remove it. Im so mad at myself for ruining the good progress i was seeing.

There are only three ingredients - but I'm thinking it has to be the mica- or whatever the mica is coated in. Here are some more cons if you're not skin sensitive....

* Shipping costs to Canada are ridiculous!
* Oxidizes in patches after a few hours
* Seems to slide off skin and/or sit on top of it
* Accentuates pores after an hour or two
* Container is messy (perhaps all mineral makeup is)
* Very dusty- I feel like I'm inhaling it when trying to tap it outta the container
* Alima seems to not want to post any negative reviews on their website- trust me Ive tried.

I'm glad it works for some but, for me, this has been terrible and it only took me four years to walk away... *facepalm*

rated 3 of 5 on 7/21/2011 12:57:00 PM More reviews by zimmeju

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is so powdery looking on me I think it might look better on ladies with oily skin. I'll stick with my Merle Norman Purely Mineral Powder which goes on creamy and dewy and the shimmer is light.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/20/2011 9:42:00 PM More reviews by carabara84

I don't know quite why, but this made my face itch & burn pretty much immediately, especially in the creases of my nose and around my mouth. I didn't have time to wash it off so I just dealt with it for 8 hrs :-/ Too bad... The finish was nice and coverage was great! Sensitives proceed w/caution...

rated 4 of 5 on 6/29/2011 6:41:00 PM More reviews by Dancexnxthexrain

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love Alima pure cosmetics. They really know what they are talking about when it comes to cosmetics. I love that they have so many color selections (I think its 60-80) for my fair complexion. Most cosmetics, even BM fair, made me look shiny and fake. This caused me to hate wearing make up and found it to be less helpful than helpful. I also have acne prone skin and anything I put on it clogs my pores and breaks me out. Alima does not since there is only 3 ingredients in their products. I love that they match your skin type with a specific blush that makes my skin glow and I look healthy. There is no sheen or shimmer to their foundation, which I really like cause it is more natural. Their customer service is very helpful and friendly. The only downside is that if you don't live in Oregon you have to do mail order. One tip with this foundation is to use a good finishing powder before you apply the foundation (one like makeupforever HD finishing powder) it creates a nice canvas for the foundation to go on flawlessky since it does not absorb oil well. I love this product!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2011 8:46:00 AM More reviews by amanda23

It is with much regret that I write this review. I might also add that this is somewhere near my third ammendment to this review. I wanted to like this stuff so badly, and on rare occasions, I did. I've gone through so many sample shades of this. Every time I think I've found the correct shade, I order a large jar. I currently have 4 and none of them, I find, is the perfect shade. I don't have the heart to try any more. Furthermore, I find the finish is too 'satiny'. I want to blot my face when I have this on, but there is nothing to blot, that's just the finish. My husband told me thie other night that I looked sweaty. Also, I have read reviews that found that this stuff oxidizes and I agree 100%. What looks good mid-day looks far too orange or dark by the end of the night. I so wanted this to work because I fel it was better for my complexion but even that I didn't find to be true, still suffered minor breakouts when wearing this, no skin clearing. On a positive note, they do have exceptional customer service and I enjoy some of their other shadows and blushes. This foundation was just too much work/effort for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2011 1:27:00 PM More reviews by meowboo

I've had such a great experience so far, I feel compelled to write this review. After not wearing any type of foundation (liquid, mineral, or otherwise), I decided it was time to give mineral makeup another go. I wanted something very light and natural. I ordered 2 sample colors, and was floored by the large sample sizes and promtness of delivery. I put the foundation on, and it was like magic! You can't tell I'm wearing anything heavy, yet I'm getting compliments left and right about how I look "glowing", "have great skin", etc. I placed my order for a full-sized jar immediately! I typed my address wrong while placing the order, and had the pleasure of speaking with someone very nice on the phone, who got everything corrected for me. I've very glad I found this company!
PROS: Great company, natural ingredients
CONS: Not heavy coverage, so many not be the best choice for everyone.