April 20, 2014 | 1917 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 1 of 5 on 7/22/2011 3:24:00 PM More reviews by atomickittenlove

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Edit: So, i've used this for years as my go-to setting powder, even though its not really intended for that. Ive been struggling with moderate acne for the past few years and have had many makeup challenges- but I never thought to eliminate this as a potential culprit. Well I have for about a week now- and my foundation no longer slides off my nose in three hours and I my current setting powder (essence) does not cling to dry patches. Shipping to canada is ridiculous on this item so I guess I'm actually relieved I've decided not to use it--- to bad I have almost a full jar of product left, not to mention their satin finishing powder and priming powder (both of which actually hurt my skin when I applied it- mica I'm guessing).

----
Original Review:
So this is the fourth day using the sample foundation- and wow I really like it! The first time I put it on, it made my skin itch for about an hour- but I haven't experienced that again so i don't know if alima was the direct cause.

PROS:
Great coverage for a mineral powder
Looks very natural
Light weight
Excellent colour match
Hasn't broken me out AT ALL> which is pretty amazing for me.
They sent me some sample bronzer and eyeshadows for free
Safe
4 ingredients you can pronounce!!

CONS:
Messy (as with most loose powders- but would have been nice to have a cap with holes or something)
I have to wait until my moizterizer completely soaks in or else the powder is hard to blend.
Sets into the fine lines around my mouth making them look much worse (not going to use it for my full face anymore- i dont need coverage there anyway).

Im gonna stick with it for another week before I order the full size. But I'm pretty sure I will :)

EDIT: have ordered the full size with the brush (which makes a huge difference in application i.e. no settling around fine lines) Although coverage is minimal. The only thing it does for me is even out my skin tone. If I didn't have acne I would be 100% satisfied.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/21/2011 12:57:00 PM More reviews by zimmeju

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is so powdery looking on me I think it might look better on ladies with oily skin. I'll stick with my Merle Norman Purely Mineral Powder which goes on creamy and dewy and the shimmer is light.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/20/2011 9:42:00 PM More reviews by carabara84

I don't know quite why, but this made my face itch & burn pretty much immediately, especially in the creases of my nose and around my mouth. I didn't have time to wash it off so I just dealt with it for 8 hrs :-/ Too bad... The finish was nice and coverage was great! Sensitives proceed w/caution...

rated 4 of 5 on 6/29/2011 6:41:00 PM More reviews by Dancexnxthexrain

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love Alima pure cosmetics. They really know what they are talking about when it comes to cosmetics. I love that they have so many color selections (I think its 60-80) for my fair complexion. Most cosmetics, even BM fair, made me look shiny and fake. This caused me to hate wearing make up and found it to be less helpful than helpful. I also have acne prone skin and anything I put on it clogs my pores and breaks me out. Alima does not since there is only 3 ingredients in their products. I love that they match your skin type with a specific blush that makes my skin glow and I look healthy. There is no sheen or shimmer to their foundation, which I really like cause it is more natural. Their customer service is very helpful and friendly. The only downside is that if you don't live in Oregon you have to do mail order. One tip with this foundation is to use a good finishing powder before you apply the foundation (one like makeupforever HD finishing powder) it creates a nice canvas for the foundation to go on flawlessky since it does not absorb oil well. I love this product!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2011 8:46:00 AM More reviews by amanda23

It is with much regret that I write this review. I might also add that this is somewhere near my third ammendment to this review. I wanted to like this stuff so badly, and on rare occasions, I did. I've gone through so many sample shades of this. Every time I think I've found the correct shade, I order a large jar. I currently have 4 and none of them, I find, is the perfect shade. I don't have the heart to try any more. Furthermore, I find the finish is too 'satiny'. I want to blot my face when I have this on, but there is nothing to blot, that's just the finish. My husband told me thie other night that I looked sweaty. Also, I have read reviews that found that this stuff oxidizes and I agree 100%. What looks good mid-day looks far too orange or dark by the end of the night. I so wanted this to work because I fel it was better for my complexion but even that I didn't find to be true, still suffered minor breakouts when wearing this, no skin clearing. On a positive note, they do have exceptional customer service and I enjoy some of their other shadows and blushes. This foundation was just too much work/effort for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2011 1:27:00 PM More reviews by meowboo

I've had such a great experience so far, I feel compelled to write this review. After not wearing any type of foundation (liquid, mineral, or otherwise), I decided it was time to give mineral makeup another go. I wanted something very light and natural. I ordered 2 sample colors, and was floored by the large sample sizes and promtness of delivery. I put the foundation on, and it was like magic! You can't tell I'm wearing anything heavy, yet I'm getting compliments left and right about how I look "glowing", "have great skin", etc. I placed my order for a full-sized jar immediately! I typed my address wrong while placing the order, and had the pleasure of speaking with someone very nice on the phone, who got everything corrected for me. I've very glad I found this company!
PROS: Great company, natural ingredients
CONS: Not heavy coverage, so many not be the best choice for everyone.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/1/2011 10:04:00 PM More reviews by strix

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

PROS
So easy to find your perfect match for any skin tone
Good coverage
Non-itchy
Cute packaging
Nontoxic ingredient list

CONS
Can be messy to apply, as all loose mineral makeup can be
Will emphasize large pores but this can be fixed by using a moisturizer/primer underneath

rated 2 of 5 on 6/1/2011 12:43:00 PM More reviews by mdsmum

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really wanted to like this. As many others have said, Alima are a great company to deal with and their "Ask the Artist" service is genius! Thanks to that I managed to find a really good colour match (Beige 2, I'm NW20).
I know others are positively evangelical about this foundation but I want my foundation to work for me, not the other way round! I shouldn't have to change my whole skin care regime just to make it work. And some of it I couldn't change even if I wanted to - as an ex-skin cancer sufferer SPF30 all year round is non-negotiable.
I do love the finish of this when it first goes on. The downsides are that as a rosacea sufferer the coverage is WAY too light - 4 layers later & the redness still shows. And after 2 hours the foundation has all but vanished.
I would love to say this is my HG but sadly it's not.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2011 2:43:00 PM More reviews by CarolynKeene

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I've never gotten the hang of liquid foundations, plus I'm oily, so I've always preferred powder foundations. I used to be a MAC Studio Fix girl once upon a time, then used BE for about five years until I decided the color was all wrong and I hated the little mica sparkles. I tested samples of Alima's Beige 0, Natural 1 and 2, and Cool 2. They looked pretty darn similar, but in the end, Cool 2 won. (Iím NW15 for reference.) I adore the way it looks and wears (over primer). No chalkiness, no glittery crap, no color shift, no patchiness, no settling into fine lines. Bonus: Alima is an eco-responsible company with great service. Iíve heard they offer custom mixes if youíre having trouble finding a shade match.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/1/2011 9:16:00 AM More reviews by amandafailureprincess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I suppose I am one of few oily girls who actually really likes the "BE-like" sheen to my MMU, and this foundation definitely doesn't offer that. But the eco-friendliness + great coverage + mattifying factors almost make up for that. What I have been doing is adding a couple of scoops of the Silk Naturals Glow Base to this, plus a scoop of SN buttery yellow to darken/boost the color (closest to my almost exact NC25 color in Alima is Warm 3, but it is slightly too neutral and the SN base is white, so it needs a kick). Kind of a pain, but it is looking good so far. I probably will repurchase, but I may try the SN kit on it's own first while I continue my search for the perfect full-coverage/extremely mattifying/glowy real skin looking but without fillers MMU!