April 20, 2014 | 921 users online

Moisturizers - Aveeno - Ultra-Calming Daily Moisturizer SPF 15

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 12/27/2011 4:59:00 PM More reviews by DKelly10

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I don't use this product, but my SO loves it. He suffers from severe facial dermatitis and has seen the doctor on multiple occasions when he's had outbreaks in the past. His face, if not treated, results in red, irritated and scaly skin. However, he consistently uses this product on his face and he does not suffer from dermatitis outbreaks anymore. He buys this in mass quantities because he's afraid of looking like a red, flaky, scaly alligator. He swears by this, however I am skeptical. But if it works for him, that's all that matters :)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2011 8:52:00 PM More reviews by p3ischarmed13

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Compared to many other moisturizers, this costs way more, but its worth it. I've been using for a few months. I can't comment on whether its calmed the redness to my face on a great scale, I think it has done so a little.
Nice, thick moisturizer that absorbs quickly into the skin and leaves your face very soft. I usually use a full pump at night for more moisture, and about half a pump after washing my face in the morning to prep it for my makeup routine. Also a nice plus is the SPF 15 it has, which protects but isn't too high that I look like a ghost in pictures.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2011 9:19:00 PM More reviews by HotPinkGurl

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have very dry skin and this seems to work really well not to mention the smoothness of my skin now. It would be nice if they still made the ultra calming face wash though. The smell of this moisturizer doesnt really bother me. Great product

rated 3 of 5 on 11/9/2011 1:56:00 PM More reviews by yngd

It does not take the redness away. I'm getting little red spots and I've been using this for 2 weeks now. I didn't see any difference in the begining but thought I needed to be patient. So now, I am convinced that it doesn't work. I was using the Positively Radiant moisturizer for a couple of years, but since my skin was getting redder, thought I'd try this one. I will have to get something other than Aveeno, although I found that the Positively Radiant one absorbed better than this. I will be using this on other areas of my body, so as to not waste it.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/7/2011 9:32:00 PM More reviews by orlmente

I tried this for my face and it calmed redness but it broke me out. So instead I use this for my feet. I wasn't going to throw it out because it cost around 18$ iirc. Works great for my feet. It absorbs pretty quickly and doesn't leave a greasy coating. I love that because I can get up and walk around without slipping and falling on my ass. It's better for summer though, it's not heavy enough for fall or winter. That said, once I use it up I won't repurchase- I can find products that work as well or better for less money.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2011 3:31:00 AM More reviews by sunshowers

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm not a huge fan of anything else by Aveeno. I find their body lotions, the ones that get rave reviews on MUA, only "meh." I've used their face cleansers and lotions in the past and was not impressed. Then I started getting rosacea on my cheeks, and for months it seemed like putting anything on my face to soothe the redness and burning only pissed my skin off more. Enter Aveeno Ultra Calming Daily Moisturizer SPF 15.

I spotted this at Target and the "Ultra Calming" name caught my eye. I took it home and at first thought I'd been suckered again. It didn't have any immediate effect on the redness, and lord, the smell! I hate the way this stuff smells! I've gotten used to it now, and oddly, my husband likes it. But it's this heavy, floral old lady smell and having just finished a bottle of yummy-smelling Garnier Fresh moisturizer, this was a big disappointment. But I paid good money for the moisturizer, and despite the smell it seemed to absorb into my skin really nicely, so I kept using it.

As the weeks went on, I started noticing that my cheeks were healing. Not only were the bumps going down, but the scarring and hyper-pigmentation left behind were fading so much faster than before. I was still afraid of getting my hopes up, but over the next four months, my skin continued getting better and better. For the first time in ages, my husband was regularly commenting on how nice my skin looked, and how soft it was.

Well, that is, until a few weeks ago my mom convinced me to try Cliniderm Soothing Lotion. After two days of switching from Aveeno to Cliniderm, my skin broke out horribly in places I almost never get blemishes. I switched back immediately and haven't gotten any new breakouts, and am now using Aveeno every day and hoping the scars will fade quickly. If only the scent was improved, I would rate this moisturizer highre

rated 1 of 5 on 10/22/2011 11:51:00 AM More reviews by glasker

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm usually a huge fan of the Aveeno range but this moisturizer was a big let down. It left my skin feeling dry and like it hadn't seen a moisturizer in days. For me there was nothing awful about the product - I didn't get an allergy to it in spite of my wildly sensitive skin, it smells ok and I thought the price was pretty reasonable. However as a moisturizer it's totally useless and I found I had to use another product after just to soften my skin. I'd avoid it in future.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/17/2011 7:04:00 PM More reviews by leah8808

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

I have extremely sensitive skin with rosacea. I have been using this for over 2 weeks and it has not irritated my skin. It is not the creamiest and doesn't moisturize enough for me for cold weather, but it will be great for summer. It has a kind of medicinal smell, but that doesn't bother me and I usually don't like fragrance. The sunscreen does absorb quickly. I was surprised that I actually like this and can use it with no irritation.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/15/2011 1:02:00 AM More reviews by ksinson87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

It has a thick consistency and one pump was enough for my entire face. The smell was fine. Nothing to rave about, nothing to complain about. The pump is nice....BUT other than that this moisturizer was a disappointment. (The Aveeno body lotion is great though!) It left me greasy and irritated my face. I think it was the feverfew ingredient. Which is ironic because it's advertised as "ultra-calming". Upon initial application it felt fine, but an hour later it felt uncomfortable and itchy. I began using this as my day moisturizer while using the Clinique Dramatically Different Gel for my PM moisturizer. I used both for about 3 weeks. Both of these products wreaked havoc on my skin (inflamed cystic acne) and I had to start taking Doxycycline as a result. There has been a noticeable difference in my skin as soon as I stopped using these products.. My usual clear skin is on hiatus thanks to these products. Would not recommend this product to anyone, and would never have it anywhere near my face.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2011 4:23:00 PM More reviews by diamondtiara

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

ROSACEANS: Avoid this product! I read one random review about it online, from a girl who had rosacea and liked it. For a month, I liked it too. Then, seemingly at random, my skin began to burn within fifteen minutes of slathering the moisturizer on. At first, I couldn't tell what was triggering the reaction. My skin had fared just fine with the Aveeno for about a month, so I suspected I was too stressed/not drinking enough water/getting too much sun/eating the wrong things. Foolishly, I kept applying the Aveeno for another week before I realized that it was the moisturizer that left me with glowing red cheeks that looked as if I had been slapped.

I have read other reviews on rosacea forums that insist that this is how Aveeno products work for them: There's a period of calm, then suddenly your skin becomes highly irritated, and it can take weeks to get it back to normal. Also, the price is utterly ridiculous for a drugstore item, especially one with such inconsistent, even painful results. Avoid this item at all costs, and if you have a bottle, toss it in the trash!