April 21, 2014 | 950 users online

Powder - NARS - Powder Foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 11/7/2008 10:34:00 AM More reviews by raindropz

I use this in Deauville and it matches my natural skin tone quite well. a bit light after my summer tan though.. =)

The good:
- for my acne-prone skin, this caused no problems
- can be applied wet or dry....i prefer wet as my cheeks tend to be dry. it also looks soft when applied wet
- goes on very naturally and photographs beautifully!
- cute packaging, with separate compartment for the sponge (and tiny holes so that bacteria doesn't get trapped

The not so good:
- i tend to be oily/shiny in the t-zone, but dry on my cheeks. this did a great job in the t-zone, but left my cheeks flaky. i used the NARS primer with it as recommended, but didn't help much

I'm still in search of the perfect foundation, so i think i'd give some of the other highly-ranked products a try first. if not, i'd come back to this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2008 2:19:00 PM More reviews by semarie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had been holding off on trying this powder foundation because of the price-but so glad I caved in and bought it last week! I have been wearing this over nars balanced fdtn or bobbi brown tinted moisturizer using a large powder brush and it sets my makeup perfectly for the day and keeps me from any touchups throughout the day. Usually, my nose gets shiny by midday-this keeps that from happening on my combo skin. I wear santa fe in both nars balanced and oil-free fdtn and got the santa fe in powder fdtn. This has a very light coverage when applied with a brush-in fact-it doesn't really remind me of other powder foundations because I find it to be the lightest and most fine milled texture of any powder foundation I've tried. I will definitely repurchase when I run out!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2008 11:44:00 PM More reviews by lovebuzz2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have really dry skin. But in the summer time my skin is moist from the heat. I like to use a compact to obsorbe extra moisture. Nars is bomb! The applicator is a soft sponge puff that feels so soft when you touch it to your face.I also like to use the sponge to apply liquid foundation as well. I tend to break out as well but this covers very well.Also, the compact is a large nars black piece of love.So great.I feel like a model when I put it on!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2008 11:16:00 AM More reviews by Rachel1234

First thing you should know about this product is that it runs one shade darker than NARS liquid foundations. So whatever you buy in their liquid foundation, go one shade LIGHTER in this powder foundation. I am pale PPP with yellow/neutral undertones, and I wear NARS liquid foundation in Deauville. But in this Powder Foundation I wear Monte Blanc. I think a lot of the problems people are having with color is because they don't know they have to go a shade lighter than they think. Trust me on this one.

Anyway, I love this foundation. It is very finely milled so it goes on really beautifully and just melts into my skin. It manages to help control the oil but at the same time looks so natural and like a part of my skin. It's like my skin but better. It feels lighter and more breathable than liquid foundation. The color is beautiful and stays true all day. (When I initally tried the Deauville shade it looked okay for the first hour or so, then it started to look too tan and almost orangey as the day passed ... but that's because it was the wrong shade for me. When I went down to Monte Blanc, the color stayed perfect all day.).

I like the super-soft texture of the powder - it feels comfortable on my skin. And I like how I can reapply without any cakey build-up. I also like the ultra-soft sponge that comes with it. I find that applying with the sponge gives me more coverage and oil-control throughout the day than applying with a brush.

I do not wear any liquid foundation under this - just my spf moisturizer, then a dusting of Marutake Rice Powder (for oil control), then this powder foundation. The finish is beautiful - a natural matte (not dry and not dewy - just really, really natural looking). I can't find a single thing that I don't like about this foundation. I highly recommend it. :)

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2008 1:48:00 PM More reviews by beatachica1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

i wore this with and without the balanced foundation underneath, and it works best on top of it , but well w/o too

this is a high coverage, not so fine powder

i love the packaging (all powder fondt should come with separate compartment for sponge)

this looks best by pressing and patting the powder into your skin with the sponge first, then using the botan (or any) kubuki in circular motion to buff

im light olive and self tan, and got figi

rated 1 of 5 on 8/2/2008 10:17:00 AM More reviews by beautifulasian

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

First of all i have combination skin which tends to be oilier in summer and gets quite dry in winter. I had high hopes for this powder foundation because this one looked quite sleek in its packaging (but not very convenient) and kinda high end products.

1) This is very finely milled and quite easy to apply. I liked its sheer -(but buildable) coverage and it gave me just right coverage i wanted..maybe a little heavy for me. I thought this was just a pressed powder but i was wrong. This was a power foundation and i did not know. When i bought this, the person said this is pressed power.. i guess this can be both.

2) On my skin, this has no lasting power. This just slicks off in 2 or 3 hours. I have tried this alone or over moisturizer or just over freshly cleansed skin or over toned skin or over foundation. Same results and yes this gets oompah loompah (altho i dont know the exact meaning of this word).. When i first apply this, this product seems to glide on and due to its very fine nature, do not use brush. please use puff or spoonge. and this covers my imperfections quite well despite its very light feel...(i dont feel much on my face and i like this..i hate to feel makeup on my face) ...but after a while,, it makes me look like i am not wearing nothing (if i wear this alone) or just makes my face look very oily soon (if i wear something under it)

I hate this product and wont buy it again. This was waste of money. Maybelline is a lot better than this. I used shade "eden" and was a good colour match though.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/19/2008 11:21:00 PM More reviews by collegestudent88

The only shade I used of this wasn't exactly my skin shade so that is the only thing I didn't like (not sure if they have my shade). But other than that, it was fairly big and lasted me around 6 months. Good coverage. I wish the compact could be a little smaller.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/23/2008 7:10:00 PM More reviews by alysia56

I am quite torn regarding my feelings for this product. I went on a quest a few months back to find an acceptable replacement for my Studio Fix powder. Basically, the Studio Fix was breaking down and oxidizing partway through the day and causing breakouts to boot (though I didn't realize the breakouts were caused by the SF until I gave it up).

I wanted a product with medium-to-full coverage in powder form, a matte finish that will hold until at least 2 p.m. despite the Phoenix heat and my oily skin, that wouldn't cause breakouts or leave me with Oompa Loompa face. I know that's asking a lot, but hey...this is the 21st century, right? After quite a journey, the NARS powder foundation is the closest thing I can find to true happiness, though it leaves a bit to be desired.

First off, the powder is extremely finely milled, which is both good and bad. I don't like to apply with the accompanying latex sponge, as I'm a brush girl at heart. The problem is, the powder goes EVERYWHERE. I honestly believe that about 40% of it ends up on my face while the other 60% becomes airborne particulate matter. Additionally, I'd say coverage is light-to-medium unless I REALLY pack it on. Which, again, is difficult since so much is lost in the process. I apply the foundation OVER concealer and find that there are still spots I have to go back to. But trust me, after the others I've tried over the past couple of months, I've learned that things could definitely be worse.

Staying power is the cloest to what I want that I've been able to find. I can touch up the necessary parts without getting cakey or looking uneven, and require much fewer touch-ups than with the Givenchy, SF or Laura Mercier. I find I don't need to re-do my entire face each day, and orange-face is minimal to nonexistent. I've not yet been subjected to any sort of breakouts on any part of my face, but I'll update in a couple of weeks just to be sure.

Price isn't super. I pay $45 USD for the makeup and case and refills are $35. Compared to the Laura Mercier at $40 and Givenchy at $42 (for much less product, mind you), I guess that could be worse as well. But I'm still accustomed to paying $24 for Studio Fix that lasts me right at 2 months. I'm doubting the NARS will go that long, especially considering the amount of wasted product. I do work in a professional environment and wear foundation probably 6 days a week, so keep that in mind.

Packaging: Well...again, good and bad. The case is incredibly bulky and half the time I find myself putting it into a pouch in my purse in order to leave room in my makeup bag. This has never been an issue with other compacts. On the other hand, it's got a nice matte-latex feel to it (not quite sure exactly what it's made of), is trendy in appearance and has a nice large mirror (which makes sense, considering the size of the compact itself). I've not yet purchased a refill, so I can't attest to the ease of replacemet.

While coverage is not quite as full as I would like, color match is great (I'm using Barcelona, and have a light, semi-tanned complexion with pinkish undertones) and finished product is very natural in appearance. Additionally, I look better through my husband's HD camera lens than with either the Laura Mercier, Givenchy or SF, none of which filmed well. I cannot attest to photography, however, as our camera work is limited to HD digital filmography.

To sum it up: While not an HG, to-die-for product, holds up better than the others I have either purchased or tried in-store (and trust me, I've run the gamut). Eventually I'm sure I'll get the urge to plunge in and buy something different, but for now, I think I'll stick with the NARS.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2008 6:52:00 AM More reviews by kattymat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have this in Deauville and it is awesome. I have pretty fair olive skin and I found that the MAC foundations made me look orange. I was using a tinted-moisturiser for a long time before this (or nothing at all), but the texture is fabulous, you skin feels silky soft, almost velvetty, and it doesn't make me break-out or oily (which is why I hate mineral foundations - I look like an oil slick).
It's hideously expensive in Australia, but the colour disappears on my skin and I find that it evens out my skin tone. I am definitely going to give the damp-sponge idea a go for concealing.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2008 5:03:00 AM More reviews by iammao

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Bought this on a whim while on holiday. I spotted a Nars counter while in Bangkok and thought I had to have something from them (I can't get them where I'm from).

Being in the market for a quick foundation fix, namely powder, I tested the colours. The SA tried on Fiji & Barcelona (it must be a common colour there) on me but both felt too dark on my NC25 skin. So we went a shade down to Deauville. It looked better but it wasn't all that perfect. But stubborn me just had to commit a potentially big foundation mistake in a region with no return policies. So I bought Deauville anyway.

Took it back and dabbed it with the odd sponge (which feels cheap but its flexibility lets you get into areas like around your nose). It looked kinda horrible dabbed with the sponge. Chalky, far too pale etc. But the texture, oh my, it was just FAB! I've never felt such a smooth powder in my life. And as another reviewer mentioned, I couldn't stop touching my face.

Determined to make it work, I buffed with a large brush after dabbing it on with the sponge. And it looked great and had a satiny glow! Something I have never gotten out of Studio Fix or anything that had no glitter particles inside.

This also looked great as a touch up for my NC25 Mac stick foundation. I used it for a creamy 'Noir' look and it went well.

Coverage: This is a sheer coverage powder, I guess you can build it, but you might need to experiment with buffing to get an even texture. You must buff this (or any powder foundation) or it will potentially look too matt and cakey.

Packaging: I'm not crazy over the bulky case. While I do like the wonderful mirror inside and the hygienic sponge compartment, I wish they had made it slimmer like a Shu Uemura case.

This is refillable, and that's good because then there's less plastics being thrown out into landfills. I will buy again until I find something better with higher coverage. It's tough trying to be green when you're a beauty junkie. :o)