August 29, 2014 | 1785 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2013 8:03:00 PM More reviews by chRowan73

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love coconut oil for my curly, dry, color-treated hair. It restores moisture and shine. It also helps define my curls. I use it once per week, applying it at night and sleeping with it wrapped up in a Turbi-towel. The only drawback that I have noticed is that it's messy to get it out of the tub and apply it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2013 10:47:00 AM More reviews by OMGURTEEF

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been using coconut oil to moisturize my skin after shower for about two years. For quite a long time now, I've been dealing with horribly dry, flaky, itchy skin, especially around my torso. It doesn't matter what time of year it is, although it definitely gets worse in the colder months.
I apply the coconut oil - about 1 tablespoon - directly after my shower before toweling off. It leaves a nice layer of hydration that seems to last throughout a good portion of the day. I feel comfortable and my body is flake-free until the next morning.
I don't find that it clogs my pores at all, which is great because my back and arms tend to be quite acne-prone. I do not use coconut oil on my face, however. I leave that to jojoba oil.
The smell is great. I'm a fan of everything coconut, so I enjoy smelling like a macaroon all day.
It can be pricey, but my fiance and I buy it at Costco where you can get about 5lbs of it for $15, which is a steal compared to the $10 per pound that you would pay at health food stores. It's the same quality and it lasts forever. We use ours for everything from cooking to moisturizing (I keep a separate container in the bath) to healing sore throats (it cured my tonsillitis in two days).
This stuff is really a multi-purpose product through and through. If you suffer from horribly dry skin, give it a shot. I think you'll find that it works better than any chemical-laden lotion you have used.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/23/2013 4:09:00 PM More reviews by goldteapot

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

There are so many great things to do with coconut oil on the internet. However, it is not for everyone, as it depends on your hair. Coconut oil is great for strengthening hair. My hair is healthy but the ends get terribly dry. I found this did nothing to moisturize them. I left it on for over an hour many times, and my hair just looked worse. It makes my hair crunchy unless I wash it 5 times, and then it's dry. It smells great, but olive oil works better for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2013 5:12:00 PM More reviews by jessicaalynnexo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I loooove coconut oil. I use it as an all-over moisturizer for when my skin is really itchy and uncomfortable. I bring it in the shower with me to help melt the oil while I shower, and then after I'm all done washing, before drying my skin, I pour coconut oil out of the jar into my hand, rub my palms together and apply all over my body. then I turn the water back on, rinse off a little, and towel dry. My skin stays soft and smooth all day.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2013 3:10:00 AM More reviews by postmoderngirl

This oil is good for so many things. I actually like that it's a solid because it's less messy and is easier to store. I mostly use this as a makeup remover, rubbing it between my hands and putting it all over my face. It literally melts your makeup off. It doesn't irritate my skin or make me breakout. It's also great as a body moisturizer.. I put it on after I get out of the shower and it softens my skin without being super oily. It's also great as a cuticle oil & hair mask. The best thing is, it's all natural.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2013 11:21:00 PM More reviews by Rocklover

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I started using raw organic virgin coconut oil around a month ago. I was instantly in love but wanted to wait to see what the longer term effects of it might be first. My verdict: this stuff has done wonders for my skin and hair.

What I use it for:

Pre-shampoo treatment -
Rub a small amount through your hair from mid-lengths to ends, leave in for at least 1/2 an hour (I leave mine for several hours) then shampoo out. If you have fine hair you should shampoo twice. This leaves your hair feeling soft for multiple washes.

All over body moisturizer -
While in the shower, standing under the hot water, I rub a small amount of the coconut oil all over my body (melt in palms first if it's solid). I had previously tried doing this after toweling myself dry, however I find application during the shower much better as it locks in your skins moisture before it can dry out. I think this has made my skin feel smoother and firmer, and I much prefer the texture of the oil as opposed to regular moisturizers which tend to feel thick and go all slimy when they get wet! BONUS: coconut oil also has low UV filtering properties, so you're giving your skin a little sun protection too!

Make up remover/face cleanser -
Wipe excess make-up off with a tissue then massage coconut oil with warm water over your face. The oil will loosen any remaining make-up. Wipe off the dirty oil with another clean tissue then rinse face again with warm water. I have combination skin and break out frequently....however since using this I have had ZERO breakouts and my skin's oil is more balanced. TIP: Only do this once a day. There's no reason to over-cleanse your face! Do the oil wash at night before bed then rinse your face with only warm water in the morning. If you are a little oily in the morning like me, wipe the oil off with a towel or tissue.

Facial moisturizer -
I apply a small amount of coconut oil to my face following make-up removal/cleansing (described above). I wear it overnight and by morning, it's all absorbed. The trick is not to use too much...you only need a little bit - you don't need to look like an oil slick for this to work! I don't often wear this during the day because it can curdle certain products e.g. oil free foundations and sunscreens. The results? Balanced oils, softer and firmer skin, and more even skintone.

Cuticle oil/dry area treatment -
Dab small amounts of coconut oil to dry areas such as heels, knees, elbows and cuticles. Not only does this make the dry skin INSTANTLY appear moisturized, but it actually softens them over time.

Since I started using my coconut oil, I have eliminated the need for a vast number of other lotions and potions that are far more expensive and far less effective. If you decide to take the plunge and try it, make sure you get a raw, organic, cold-pressed virgin coconut oil. The one I use is Banaban....and it's devine!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2013 4:31:00 AM More reviews by cherryme

I tried coconut oil on my hair once. I love the smell, is not extremly greasy as the olive oil which I just despise.
I put in on my hair and scalp, I massaged it lightly and then I left it on for 30 mins.
After that I shampooed 2 times and it didn't left my hair greasy or heavy.
After drying it, my hair was very shiny and bouncy.
It wasn't really hydrating but I will use it again, maybe my hair needs more treatments with coconut oil.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2013 10:13:00 PM More reviews by Jennifckerrr

I love the scent of coconut, so it only makes sense for me to try coconut oil as a moisturizer. I've tried a ton of coconut scented lotions and creams, but nothing can compare to the real deal!
So I bought my jar of coconut oil from whole foods ($20 for 32oz). I think I can easily use this for an entire year.
It has been a few weeks since I started to use coconut oil.

I think it's amazing and here's why:
- Affordable
- Natural/organic
- Does not leave sticky/greasy residue like olive oil. It comes right off when you wash your hands.
- Solid at room temperature - won't spill all over the place
- Excellent moisturizer
- Great hair conditioner (I usually apply to dry hair and rise off after an hour or two)
- Coconut scent!

I usually scoop out 2-3 spoonful of coconut oil(when solid) and transfer them to the smallest tupperware I can find and I would leave it in the bathroom with a spoon. So i'll run the tupperware with warm water after shower and apply with the spoon.
Keep in mind that it is an oil so it does take a little longer to be absorbed than lotion, but it will make yur skin super soft and moisturized after.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2013 11:22:00 AM More reviews by Amie83

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Fabulous discovery! Sensitive, dry, rosacea (red bumps on cheeks, at this stage temporary flushing, some pimples), and dark circles..I started applying CNO in desperation during our last holiday in Thailand since the heat and spice really flared up my rosacea. CNO evens out the skintone, calms, reduces pimples overnight and is overall really yummy and rejuvenating. I also take spoonfuls of it, and have started cooking with it.
It is not moisturising enough on its own, so I put Avene Recovery creme on top.
I also use it as a body moisturizer, and makeup remover, and hair mask. It requires 2-3 shampoos to wash it out the next morning but leaves my frizzy fine blonde hair soft, sleek and strengthened.

Also works great for hubby's oily but sensitive skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2013 9:07:00 PM More reviews by DianeM57