October 20, 2014 | 1889 users online

Cleansers - DHC - Deep Cleansing Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 on 2/19/2013 9:20:00 PM More reviews by evyyhl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My skin is extremely sensitive, breakout prone & often gets irritated when using the WRONG skin care products!! I liked the idea of oil cleansing method but this method did not work on my skin at all. I used Shu Uemura's High performance cleansing oil (pink bottle) once. It was very expansive & contains mostly cheap ingredients like mineral oil, silicon fillers & strong fragrance. It burned my skin & gave me rash! I wanted something that would remove my makeup. I did extensive research on various brands of cleansing oil and their ingredients. DHC cleansing oil contains the Least amount of ingredients & NO fragrance. So I decided to give it a try.

Pros:
I give 2 stars for the following reason.
1) It contains very few ingredients so it's less likely to cause skin irritations compare to other brands of cleansing oils that are filled with artificial colors, fragrance, fillers & irritants.
2) It's fragrance free so it's great for sensitive skin.

Cons:
I took off 3 stars for the following reason.
1) Expansive --> This cleansing oil is not affordable considering the ingredients are relatively cheap. At $28 (plus tax & shipping) for 6.7 oz., it should have contained organic olive & rosemary oils.
2) Not available in stores --> This is inconvenient when you have to order it from the DHC's website & it charges more for shipping. I bought a small bottle 2.3 oz. from DHC website to try it. However, if this is the only product of DHC that you love, you can buy it at amazon.com for $27.50 (6.7 oz.) + free shipping!!
3) Causes breakout --> I know there are many great reviews at MakeupAlley regarding how this cleansing oil has helped acne prone skin. Unfortunately, this cleansing oil does the opposite on my skin. It took me a while to figure out this was breaking me out & completely ruined my skin!! I developed cystic acne all over my face with an unattractive looking strawberry nose (very red, swelling + blackheads all over my nose)!! I read reviews on acne.org about oil cleansing method & I wasn't the only one who suffered from severe cystic acne outbreak from cleansing oil!!

Conclusion: I will never purchase this oil again or use any other oil to remove makeup & clean my face. This oil is GREAT FOR Dry, Normal, or Combination skin that are not acne prone. If you have combination, acne prone & sensitive skin like me, you may want to think twice before using cleansing oil. It has been 3 months & my face has cleared up 50%, but I have red acne marks on my face that may take months to years to fade.

Now I use Neutrogena's oil free eye makeup remover on my eyes & part of my face that's covered with makeup. It doesn't cause any irritation or breakout on my skin. It is also a lot cheaper than the Shu Uemura or DHC cleansing oils.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2013 11:04:00 AM More reviews by Gayle1600

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Love this stuff. Now that I'm a woman of "a certain age" (and it's not as wonderful as Suzanne Somers says, sorry) I'm looking for anything with moisture. Kind of like some scaly hibernating animal crawling out of its hole...oh never mind. I was attracted to this for one reason: I'm lazy and really tired at the end of the day. I'd previously had an elaborate routine, but wow. Put on dry hands? Washes off everything and your face feels soft? It's true. Where was this stuff when I was a party girl and slept in my makeup? It just amazes me when something is true, which is a little sad... But for the laziness factor alone I'll keep buying this. It's a little expensive, but then so is my makeup. It only makes sense that I'd have to pay a little more to have the pricey stuff swirl down the drain at night, heh heh. Bottom line: Wonderful invention, nice smell, works great, kind of cup your hand around the pump thing or you'll squirt it all over your robe.

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2013 10:30:00 AM More reviews by Nancygia

I have an oily T-zone and very dry, dehydrated cheeks. The first several times I used this, it broke me out and I put it to the side. Then, I started using it just on my cheeks and an AHA cleanser on my oily areas. I then recently read in InStyle magazine that I should be using an oil cleanser on my oily areas because "like attracts like." So I reversed my cleansing ritual and within 2 days, I had 4 zits--2 on the tip of my nose, one right under my nostril and 1 giant, deep, painful one right smack in the center crease of my chin. Even if the cleanser is unclogging my pores, I'd rather that they unclog slowly like they did before than walk around with acne in my 40's.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/17/2013 11:11:00 AM More reviews by vuvie

My curent HG is SKII Cleansing OIl. Used to love this (when I have oily skin back in my 20s) but not anymore (maybe cause I am older and my skin is more dry now).

The viscosity is higher with DHC and the bottle is smaller thought i suppose with price breakdown, it will amount to almost the same.

I just find the consistency for this too thick and end up rubbing my face too hard.

I did use at least 6 bottles before changing to SKiII though. This is really not a bad product.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2013 7:09:00 AM More reviews by dk34

Great for my combo skin. Takes off all the makeup, even waterproof mascaras. Reasonable Price. Doesn't leave skin feel tight or dry.

Cons: Stings the eyes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2013 4:43:00 PM More reviews by Lomelindi

I like this more than the MAC Cleanse Oil for minor reasons, but they basically do the same thing. The DHC is cheaper by a few $ and you get a little more than the MAC, so overall, it's more for your money. Plus the packaging is sturdier and you only need one pump to get enough oil for your whole face, whereas with the MAC you will need maybe 2 pumps to cover the whole face. This oil also feels heavier / thicker than the MAC, which I think feels more luxurious although they both work just as well.

To use this product, take a pump into your dry hands and slather it across your (dry) face, gently smoothing it across your skin until it dissolves all your makeup. (Be especially vigilant around the eye area if you have waterproof makeup, this oil takes a minute or two to fully dissolve those). Then just rinse off thoroughly with water. Unlike the MAC, this oil doesn't need to be emulsified before rinsing off. I'm too lazy to follow up with cleanser most of the time, but it doesn't hurt in case you feel like you still have oil or residue on your face.

I don't think this is too drying or anything, but I have oily skin. I also put on moisturizer immediately after washing my face, so I don't give it time to feel "dry".

Overall, excellent product, definite HG. It removes everything from waterproof mascara to glue-like sunscreens. I order from Amazon.com since this isn't avaliable in drugstores or any other store where I can buy it in person.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2013 4:28:00 PM More reviews by Cat1104

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have very sensitive skin that is oily but dehydrated (lacks water, not oil). I found this way too drying for my skin. It caused irritation bumps (tiny red bumps all over) as well as some flaking skin and zits. I suspect my skin doesn't like olive oil or its derivatives though.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/29/2013 10:22:00 AM More reviews by GStelz

I had such high hopes for this product! I use a gentle, non foaming cleanser at night. I had some clogging so I decided that the cleansing oil could be a nice addition to my routine to make sure every last bit of gunk was removed and also to help with some of the clogging. After scouring reviews I decided to make the leap and was so excited to get this at around Christmas (about 4.5 weeks ago).

I began using this product immediately, exactly as directed. It removed all my make up, including my eye make up. The aroma was pleasant to me and it didn't irritate my eyes. After using the oil I still used my Mario Badescu cleanser with my Mia. Within a few days I began to break out. Refusing to believe that the Deep Cleansing Oil was the culprit I continued to use it. Tonight will be the first night in nearly five weeks that I don't use the oil. I am sad because I still believe in the idea of the product but, unfortunately, the past five weeks has left my previously-clear skin in ruins. My skin can be reactive to crappy products but if I stick to things that shouldn't make you break out I'm usually fine. Since introducing the oil I've had deep, painful pimples. Sometimes they come to a head and sometimes they linger deep in my skin and hurt. I haven't had acne like this in over 4 years so it was scary to have it return. The oil is the only change I've made in anything that touches my face so it has to be the cause.

So. I'm sad. Hopefully my skin will clear up. I will report back either way to confirm if the oil was the reason for my break outs. Even though I won't buy it again, I still gave it two lippies because it does effectively remove make up and leaves my face feeling wonderful (albeit covered in painful zits). I plan to give the rest of the bottle to my sister. She has dry skin that never breaks out and she uses olive oil on her skin. I'll try to report on her results.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2013 12:07:00 PM More reviews by rclim4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Awesome cleansing oil!! There is absolutely no greasy feeling after rinsing and it manages to take off all my makeup effortlessly. My skin feels clean and soft after using it. I usually follow with the DHC mild soap or Cetaphil. Highly recommend it!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2013 10:45:00 PM More reviews by newslang

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

HG Cleanser. I've been using this for more than a year and I love, love, love it. When my skin is dry it works, when I'm breaking out it works.
Yeah, it's expensive but it's worth every penny. Removes all of my makeup (even longwear formulas) in seconds and it rinses clean.
I will be repurchasing this for years to come.