DHC Deep Cleansing Oil

4.2

olive fruit oil, caprylic/capric triglyceride, sorbeth-30 tetraoleate, pentylene glycol, phenoxyethanol, tocopherol, stearyl glycyrrhetinate, rosemary leaf oil

on 6/6/2013 4:48:00 AM

I love the smell of the oil (rosemary-ish) and the packaging is great (mine came in a smaller container with a cap over the pump which makes it good for travel). It removed makeup well. I followed up with my normal washing routine (Cetaphil & Clarisonic), but my skin still felt pretty oily afterward. That is okay with me if the results are good. But unfortunately, after the very first application and each thereafter, I had a new pimple when I woke up. In fairness to the product, oils have never worked well with my skin. I think this would be great for someone whose skin has a better track record with cleansing oils, though.

on 6/6/2013 4:20:00 AM

I used an entire full size of this. I have also used Lumene's Lift Touch cleansing oil and Clinique's Take the Day Off Balm, which is a solid that melts into an oil.

I really, really like that the DHC rinses easily and doesn't leave a film. In that, it is far superior to the Lumene.

Also, as with most DHC products, the pump dispenser is good quality, works smoothly, etc.

What I don't like is that with constant use, my skin feels very tight and dry. (The Lumene and Clinique do not produce this result.) On the one hand, this cleanser is very good at its job of getting everything off my face, but in doing so, it's taking the moisture with it. I really noticed mostly around my eyes. My other problem with oil cleansers in general is they need to be used on a dry face and I like to wash my face in the shower. So I need to do my face first, which while not a terrible imposition, does require a minor change to my normal routine.

As a user of other DHC products, and knowing how popular this stuff is, I wanted to love it. Unfortunately, its tendency to dry me out overshadows its ability to rinse clean. Maybe it's impossible to have an oil cleanser that cleans effectively, rinses clean, and doesn't dry things out. At any rate, I won't be repurchasing this one.

on 5/31/2013 1:53:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I don't think I could live without this stuff anymore! I'm a few months post-Accutane (used for serious acne) and my skin is VERY sensitive and thin to the point I flush red when I'm hot. I have lots of scarring and wear a pretty thick layer of liquid foundation for oily/combo skin everyday (as well as MAC liquilast - waterproof eyeliner which DOES NOT COME OFF), and this is the only stuff I feel 100% takes everything off. (I follow up with a neutrogena makeup remover wipe and exfoliant just in case.)

I've tried using the cheaper dupes of this - namely Shiseido - but I just love the smell and how this is "natural" and only contains the following:

olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, caprylic/capric triglyceride, sorbeth-30 tetraoleate, pentylene glycol, phenoxyethanol, tocopherol, stearyl glycyrrhetinate, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf oil

TIP: Don't apply to already damp/wet face. Oil and water does not mix-- I would directly gently rub in circular motions over face to work into pores/waterproof eyeliner/mascara until it takes it all off and then apply water afterwards to wash the oil off. I'd also follow up with another cleanser or wipe to make sure no oil residue remains on your face.

Best place I've found to buy it is on amazon - $21-25 with FS.

on 5/22/2013 9:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I bought the small 70ml size to test out because my skin is very reactive to basically everything.

Firstly, I really love the packaging, the styling is up my alley. I squirt about 1.5 pumps, the scent is of olive oil with a hint of freshness from the rosemary, so I believe this is as close to natural as you can get with a commercial cleansing oil.

It cleans makeup well and leaves my skin squeaky clean. Probably too drying for winter.

My skin is going a bit crazy at the moment and I started using 3 new products so I am not sure what is causing me problems, but I don't think it is this., I will update if it is!

I want to try out Fancl Mild cleansing oil since that one I believe is slightly cheaper.

Update: I believe this is the product causing my breakouts, I've got no new giants pimples since I stopped using this!

on 5/8/2013 1:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

This is a GREAT product for removing makeup and other dirt. It takes EVERYTHING off your face and is the only product that I have found to take off the MAC liquidlast liner, which is kinda like a semi-permanent eyeliner. I don't use this every night because it's pretty expensive for me and it's a pain to order it and pay for shipping too (the price and hassle of getting is the reason for the lippie off). If this was less expensive and sold conveniently at CVS it would definitely be a 5lippie product for me. Oh, it's also a little drying so be sure to moisturize well after use.

on 5/7/2013 11:34:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I can't decide about this stuff. I like that it removes all foundation and sunscreen from my face (my cleanser alone wasn't doing that), but I detest the physical feel of the oil and the idea of putting oil on my acne-prone skin. I follow with regular cleanser to make sure all the oil is gone, but putting oil on my skin still makes me uneasy. I seem to be getting a few whiteheads around my nose, but I don't know if that is just coincidence. Surely there is another product that will thoroughly remove makeup without drying out my skin. (I have combination skin, and some cleansers are too drying for my cheeks and eye area.)

on 5/6/2013 2:26:00 PM

Sadly, this oil seriously irritated my very sensitive eyes. Otherwise it worked great getting off my MU (including mascara). I will have to stay with Shu Oil.

on 5/6/2013 11:32:00 AM

I am lazy. At the end of the day I don't want to spend 5 minutes scrubbing makeup junk of my face. Those makeup wipes ain't soft enough, the eye makeup remover stinks my eyes like hell and no matter what I still have mascara residues under my eyes. DHC Cleaning Oil is so simple, I pump half a pump, rub it all over my face while standing in the shower waiting for the water to warm up. Voila, clean soft skin. Then I just wash my face off with a tidbit of Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanse.
I used to have oily skin all over, but as I get older and use birth control, my skin is now dry and oily, I have dry flakes all around my nose and chin and DHC cleansing oil helps so much with that.

on 4/8/2013 3:56:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have sensitive, reactive, oily skin and wanted something to take off my BB cream and mascara without irritating my skin or breaking me out.

This is a simple product that does the trick nicely without fancy bottles or strong fragrances. It also seems to be relatively safe to use (Good Guide rated it an 8 out of 10 for Health).

Although this is an oil, it easily rinses off with just water and it takes off all my makeup. You apply this to dry skin, rub it around a bit, and then pat a little water on your face and rub it around again to emulsify the oil before you can rinse it off. Used this way, it rinses very cleanly. It smells just like olive oil, but the scent is pretty light, and I don't smell it after I rinse my face. I usually follow up with a gentle cleanser, although this probably isn't necessary.

It's fairly pricey to begin with, but one bottle has lasted me more than 18 months with daily use. You also don't need to buy cotton balls or pads with this. My one gripe with this product is that the pump bottle isn't the best for travel, although DHC sometimes has sample sachets of this oil available.

I've tried various types of makeup removers and haven't been really happy with what I can find out there. I was reading up online about this product and found it at a local Japanese beauty supply store.

I decided to try it out and was surprised at the simple packaging and low cost. I use the Kiss Me Mascara which can be really hard to take off so I actually use their own eye makeup remover first to help loosen the mascara before applying this product. Then with dry skin, which is the trick to using this product, I rub this into my face and rub it gently over the eyes in circles.

Afterward, I rinse off before using my face wash and let me tell you this stuff really works! My face has never been this clean before after taking off makeup. I would have to use so many cotton pads and makeup remover to take it all off but with one pump from this oil, it works like magic.

I am really happy that I found this product because now I have a reliable makeup remover that actually takes off makeup!