September 30, 2014 | 1359 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Smashbox - Photo Finish Primer

rated 3 of 5 on 11/3/2013 3:58:00 PM More reviews by Amandabanic8

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I really liked this product at first- besides the smell. It goes on very smooth and makes my makeup look great! Until I heard it clogged your pores and seemed to make many people breakout. I prefer the light version a lot more because there is no smell and did not break me out. Overall, it's a good primer if it doesn't mess with your skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2013 10:38:00 PM More reviews by GigiMakeupStudio

Makes my makeup look so smooth & matte! Feels like you're rubbing velvet into your skin. Love it! As far as pores go, it does a fairly good job at minimizing the look of them. I think what it does best is make the face a smooth canvas to work with. Absolutely love this primer. I feel like it can either be a hit or miss. For me it was definitely a hit.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2013 1:07:00 AM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Smashbox says their Photo Finish Foundation Primer will "Create a perfect canvas for foundation application with this silky, lightweight blend of vitamins A & E, grape seed extract and green tea. Worn alone or under foundation, our best-selling, oil-free primer helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines and pores for flawless skin with a velvety-smooth finish." This primer is an industry favorite an winner of multiple beauty editor awards. Smashbox offers three sizes of their Photo Finish Foundation Primer - Jumbo (1.7fl oz/50ml, $49), Standard (1fl oz/30ml, $36) and Travel (.4fl oz/12ml, $15). I received a tiny sample of this primer in my August Ipsy Bag - this is my first experience with Smashbox. Smashbox does not test on animals. This primer is made in the USA.
All sizes of Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer come in similar packaging. A squeeze tube with black edging and a twist off cap. The product name is printed on the front of the tube. Nothing exciting, but very functional. I don't believe this packaging is recyclable.
Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer is a thick, clear, smooth primer. I love the way this primer smooths over the skin. This silicone based primer is very similar in consistency to Tarte's Clean Slate Poreless Primer, which I loved.This primer gives a very soft, smooth feel and appearance without being slick. Many people complain that this and other silicone based primers feel heavy and make their skin feel congested. Usually, I disagree, but I kinda get that feeling from Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer. This face primer doesn't work wonders on it's own, it does blur the appearance of pores to an extent, but that's all. However, this primer truly makes a great base for liquid foundation - it provides a smooth canvas for application while virtually erasing the appearance of pores and small imperfections in the texture of your skin (minor acne, small dry patches, etc). I really can't tell if this primer extends the wear of my foundation. I'm happy to report that this primer does not clog my pores or break me out the way similar products have in the past. Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer is fragrance free and doesn't sport the chemically smell that is so commonly found in silicone face primers.
I like Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer - it isn't much on it's own, but used in conjunction with a great foundation it can really give skin a perfected look. This primer is on the thicker, heavier side, but it doesn't seem to clog my pores. Do I like Smashbox' primer enough to purchase a full size? Nah, $36 is a bit much for my tastes, plus I was given an additional sample of this primer at my last trip to Ulta. Do I recommend this face primer? Sure, if you don't mind a splurge - this is a makeup artist favorite for a reason.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/11/2013 5:43:00 AM More reviews by irenerose

It does a great job in makin my skin appear smoother, making scars less visible and pores smaller. It also blends in with my foundation perfectly and stayed on for hours. However it comes with the worst downside ever, terrible breakouts i ever had since highschool. If it wasn't for that, I'd definitely buy this again.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/10/2013 4:15:00 PM More reviews by chooky12

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is the first primer I've ever used, so really have nothing to compare it to.
However I've found it to work pretty well at keeping my makeup in place. I like the texture as it goes. I wouldn't say that it smooths out my complexion though.
I think this tube will last me a long time, but when it runs out I'll be looking at other brands.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/8/2013 8:23:00 PM More reviews by Tinaagade

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have normal skin, dehydrated in the winter, sometimes shiny, or in the summer atleast. This is an OK primer. Its not good, its not bad. It does nothing for making makeup look better on my skin because this + dry skin + foundation alone still doesnt cut it. But if you have an awesome moisturizer and let it set on your skin before you use this primer, i assume this would be a good primer. Maybe go for the hydrating one instead, but that one smells a tad weird, plus it feels more like a moisturizer than a base for makeup, and then you can just go get a real moisturizer -_- Dont really know what to say about this one yet, but Im already looking at other primers to try, like prime time or shu umera base mousse or something. Maybe hourglas.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/1/2013 4:17:00 AM More reviews by MirabaiMatteini

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I have never in my life had skin problems or breakouts, so when last week I bought Smashbox photo finish primer and tried it, I was horrified to have an acne-type reaction that is itchy and swollen in the places I applied the primer. I thought I might read further reviews on the product and I wish I'd done so before I spent a lot of money on something that creates havoc with skin - it's not a breakout hazard for everyone, of course, but it seems an all too-common occurrence. Not happy. Not happy with the expensive product producing this kind of reaction and not happy with the money I now have to pay to fix my skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/28/2013 3:58:00 PM More reviews by noemielizabethh

I've enjoyed using this product. I have a sample of it. This product works well with me because I have dry skin and it goes on very smooth and leaves my foundation with a nice, poreless finish. I'm not too crazy about it since I never use primer because I don't have the problem of my face makeup not staying on. I would never buy it because I find it ridiculous to pay around $40 for a face primer. I've enjoyed using the sample. I will say that it does look very smooth on my dry skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2013 1:22:00 PM More reviews by lovelyyww

I used a lot of primers and personally this is my favorite it keeps my makeup on all day. love love love

rated 2 of 5 on 9/16/2013 10:04:00 AM More reviews by leeld

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this as a sample and was eager to try because of all the great reviews. It started out good and made my skin soft. Pores were diminished. Makeup went on fine. But by the afternoon, everything changed. It seemed to make my skin drag down. Pores and wrinkles seemed larger. I couldn't believe it. Tried again the next day and the same thing happened. Glad this was a sample, I would not buy it.