April 18, 2014 | 1757 users online

Fragrances - Clinique - Aromatics Elixir

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2010 10:24:00 AM More reviews by Shazzer1976

How opinions can change! The first time I encountered this fragrance - in my early twenties - I thought it was vile! I received it as a sample with other Clinique cosmetics. My intitial reaction was that this smelt like fly spray, it made my eyes water and filled my nose up like Vicks rub... Not the best of starts... A few years on, and ready to give things a second chance, I have really fallen for this perfume. it is definitely floral, but floral with clout.

This is no saccarine sweet girly floral but one that needs to be perservered with a little to let it settle. It is certainly unique and instantly recognisable with a real presence about it. This is no shy and retiring scent but something of a bombshell. This is certainly not a perfume you need or would want to douse yourself in. I find it works best when misted on the wrists. Anymore and you'll have people complaining of headaches and allergies - you might even have one yourself! (Not to put anyone off!)

It is a clean fragrance that nearly reminds me a little of the herbal smell of certain natural cold remedies, however it eventually settles into a lovely warm fragrance that has heads and noses turning (in a good way!). A good example of an acquired taste but a very fine fragrance and wirth spending the time with. Maybe that's what it is - floral and herbal. is there such a thing as a 'herbal' family in perfumes?

On my list of 2012 of perfumes to buy!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2010 3:19:00 PM More reviews by Hothead

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have a few of these laying around the house. The fragrance is so strong it can peel paint. I would never put it on my body but have used it to repel strong room odors..lol.

I usually use this when my husband cooks cabbage!

pewwww

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2010 8:11:00 AM More reviews by youdroppedabalmonme2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I give this fragrance 3 lippies for originality--and for the fact that women who wear it well, wear it VERY well. I have known two women for whom this was a signature fragrance, and they rocked the classic AE chypre sillage: haunting, dry, and woodsy, leaving the recipient wanting more.

However: I have never found any form of this that I can comfortably wear without getting a splitting headache. My skin can't get past the opening blast of aldehydes (reminiscent of Lysol or toothache medicine) and the middle notes of funky, semi-fecal jasmine and chamomile. I've tried walking through a tiny bit of spray; decanting the spray into a roll-on; wearing just the lotion; cutting down the amount again and again; it just doesn't matter. I can't seem to get to the delicious basenotes, I just get hours of nausea and the desire to scrub every inch of myself.

So, I am left with a deep respect for this distinctive classic, which is a masterpiece on the right person, but I rank it among the most difficult-to-wear fragrances ever.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 4/3/2010 6:14:00 PM More reviews by Grehjohrt

This perfume is overly powdery and sweet. My aunt wears this and it leaves a smelly trail wherever she goes.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2010 6:11:00 PM More reviews by shamuball

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

wow, this smells nasty to me! i need to go wash it off! too musky; i like fruity scents.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/31/2010 6:40:00 AM More reviews by Beejoux42

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like this ...on other people. On me it loses the interesting herbal medicinal smell that I like and just ramps up the sweetness until I smell like a box of Turkish Delight. So sweet it sets my teeth on edge!
Gave my bottle away to a good friend so that I could enjoy the fragrance on her. Win/win situation.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2010 5:12:00 AM More reviews by tweetyli1

I picked up a bottle of this at a thrift store. I remembered trying it in a store years ago but couldn't remember if I liked it. It's wonderful on my skin, a herbaceous, spicy scent. It smells like a walk near a stream, green and soothing to me. There is a floral in it, rose maybe, adds some sweetness to it. It is potent, sillage is good and lasts forever so moderation is advised.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2010 11:34:00 PM More reviews by cheetah7

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I guess the general consensus with this one (or any perfume for that matter) is you either love it or hate it. Perfumes are so subjective in that what smells great on someone might smell terrible on another. For me, I belong in the "I don't care for it" camp. To me, it smelled too much like an old lady in the woods. I actually like woodsy perfume but this one has that sort of chemical undertones to it that takes away from the oriental, woodsy scent. It's a bit overpowering at first and almost reminds me of Opium but then settles down after a couple of hours. I gave this one to my mom and surprise, it smells great on her so that just proves the old adage that your own chemistry has a lot to do with how a perfume turns out. I gave it 3 lippies because I love the bottle but that's about it.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/18/2010 2:35:00 PM More reviews by PennyA

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I am with the "don't like it, would never wear it" team. I had read so many reviews about how wonderful it is and how people always notice and compliment the person who wears it, so I had to see what was it all about.

I tried the perfume version twice in different days and both times my impression was the same. First of all, on me (and to me) it smelled almost exactly the same as in the bottle (maybe slightly sweeter), so I do not think my skin chemistry changed it in any significant way. For the first two hours, the scent was too strong and too oriental for my taste. After 5 hours, the scent smelled very subdued and "common" and after 7 hours I could not perceive it at all, which was a big surprise given that so many reviewers commented on its lasting power!

Otherwise, during the first hours when the scent was on "full power", it made me think of classy, albeit middle-aged and slightly conservative ladies.

I did not hate it and I can understand why some people would like/love it and that in certain persons this could be a very distinctive fragrance. I am just one of them.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/3/2010 5:51:00 PM More reviews by Angela1013

Spray and walk through, this is an Elixir ladies!! I like this very much in minute amounts. Again, one spray and walk through on a winter day is perfect if you like woody goodness in a fragrance this is it. However, I would not buy this again as my bottle will last a life time because so little is needed to get the full effect. If this gives you a headache, and it will, you are spraying too much.