E.L.F. Total Face Brush

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I bought this just to try out the regular vs. studio brushes. It doesn't hold product and it sheds. Buy the E.L.F. studio brushes. They are awesome.

I like that this brush only costs a dollar.

I like that it comes with a brush guard.

But that's about it because as Total Face Brush its not much good.

I don't like the feel of this against my face and the bristles feel too long or it just isn't thick enough to stay together like a good brush should.

Applying product is not easy because the brush doesn't pick up enough to spread consistently.

ELF products are a hit and miss affair, this is definitely a miss.

Where I come from, make-up and make-up brushes are enormously expensive. So I thought I'd give the brushes from ELF a go, since they are way cheaper than any brush lines in my country.

Unlike many other reviews it's gotten here on MUA, I didn't find this brush horribly scratchy etc. I've tried worse, trust me. Brushes from "drugstores" (not 'certified' stores, they just sell stuff like drugstores) from China are NO-NO. I once bought a brush, with the same colour as this ELF total face brush (red), it was scratchy, itched on my face whenever I used it, didn't pick up the colours very well, had a LOT of fall outs.... And it also leaked colour when I washed it. A lot. All the times I washed it.

Since I've tried this brush (I've only used it twice so far), I can definitely say that this brush is GOOD - when you look at the price, that is. It does leak red colour when washing, but the bristles are quite soft. I would say it is a dense brush, but ofc not as dense as kabuki brushes. When I got the brush it kind of had a weird packaged smell. Didn't smell nice. But brushed aren't really for smelling anyway.

Overall I would not recommend this brush though. It works fine with me, since it is so cheap. But because of the colour leaking I wouldn't buy it again. If you're fine with the leaking, this brush would be a nice buy. For 1 dollar (where I live 2,5 dollars - perhaps because of taxes) it's a good brush. And it does pick up a fine amount of pigment.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Awful just awful. I bought this since my local dollarama carried this for a while. This is scratchy, doesnt pick up products...does nothing.
We cannot get elf in Canada so I just pick up some of the studio line products while in US. I am not sure why anyone would purchase these since for 2$ more you can get the studio line brushes which are awesome btw

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

The second that I bought this brush and took it out of the packaging, the handle broke off. Which was a bummer. But it was easily glued back on, so that was okay.

I personally love this brush. It picks up so much product regardless of what it is. I don't use this as my main powder or bronzer brush. I use this as a blush brush. This is for when I want a sweeped on, colorful color to my cheeks. I love it.

I don't get all the complaints with this brush. I don't notice any smell. I love the color of the bristles. And hey, sometimes bristles shed. As long as it's not too often, I'm okay. I haven't noticed any bristles shedding out of this brush though.

I have high end brushes and inexpensive brushes, and yet this ranks at the top for me. I respect the negative reviews, but if you're on the fence about this brush, take my advice and just buy it.

A. It's a stellar brush. Great design, great color, great application. (The only issue is how the handle broke off, but I just got a bad one)

B. It's only one dollar! At least that's how much I paid. A pack of gum is more expensive.

So take a shot at this brush. If you love it, awesome. You just saved yourself from shelling out mega bucks on the same brush for 40 dollars by a different brand. But hey, if it's not your style, it's cool. It's only a dollar.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I didn't like this brush at all. The hairs on this brush irritated my face.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

It's an okay brush. It's served me well for the better part of a year now. I think I'll go for the face brush in the studio line once I'm done with this one, but seeing as I don't have too many complaints, it might be a while before I take the plunge and shell out three whole dollars for the Studio brush. Le gasp. ;)

It's not the softest brush, but it does get the job done and it's dirt cheap. I don't recall noticing any particular smell when I got it, but it's fine now and I guess if I don't particularly remember it it couldn't have been that bad. Sheds a few bristles here and there but that's not a big deal for me. I'm not a huge on brushes- I just like them cheap and easy to use. This one fits the bill for applying powder and other all-over products to my face.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Why does everyone hate this, its amazing, yes it may shed or it might be a bit scratchy, but it stil works. Just Saying!

I hate to say this, because I absolutely love elf, but this brush sucks. First of all, it does smell pretty bad. Second, I went to use it, and it actually hurts to brush it over your face. It actually made my face red from scratching it. And I'm not a person who has ever owned a super nice brush in my life, so I'm not comparing it to a $25.00 MAC brush. Plain and simple, this brush sucks. It's worth the extra few dollars to buy a better quality brush, like Sonia Kashuk.

this brush sucks. when i got it i was excited because it was so cheap, then i had a whiff and it stinks! so i thought maybe it was just a "new brush" smell, then i washed it with my brush cleaner, and the water turned brown, like the brush's dye was running or something! ewww... oh and furthermore i washed it like 6 more times to try to get the brush color to stop running, but it didn't work and the water i washed it out into continued running out brown so i gave up. also the smell of the brush remained. i absolutely hate this, and i hate that i wasted my money on it, even if it was only 3 AUD$ on ebay. i've bought unbranded brushes from china which are better and cheaper than this piece of crap. so i'll be sticking to my ecotools

Popular Makeup Brushes