Lancome Hypnose Waterproof

3.7

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This is my HG for waterproof mascaras. Because my lashes are short and straight, this mascara holds the curl extraordinarily well. I use just one coat of this before layering on a non-waterproof voluminising/ lengthening mascara and it comes off really easy with J&J make-up wipes. It is rather dear but a make-up bag essential I can't live without! I don't have any problems with clumping, but maybe it's because I use only one coat.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I love this mascara when it is fresh and new. It is totally waterproof and keeps the curl and lift all day and makes lashes look thick and dramatic. The brush is really special in how it lengthens and separates lashes. I feel like it really grabs the lashes and pulls them up and up. But very soon after (like 1-2 weeks), the formula dries out a little bit and gets clumpy! Then it becomes a crapshoot whether lashes will look wonderful or a clumpy mess. Then comes the fun in trying to comb the lashes so they aren't all stuck together. I don't know if the formula can be improved, because the stickiness that allows it really thicken the lashes becomes a problem later. I have a love/hate relationship with this mascara. I haven't tried it, but maybe the non-waterproof formula will be less waxy and clumpy? To compare with Diorshow, I like the brush of Hypnose way better but the Diorshow formula gives more consistent results. I don't recommend this mascara with mascara base. Putting two waxy formulas on lashes just makes them too spidery and clumpy.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I like this mascara, but not as much as the original Hypnose formula. This one seems more dry and doesn't build up volume/length as quickly or nicely as the original. I find this clumps quite a bit so I have to comb my lashes through every coat. This takes maybe 5 coats to get my desired results whereas the original takes only 2-3 coats. I will probably just buy a sealant for the original then go through this.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is a great mascara for the first two weeks you start using it. It defined my lashes and curled them nicely, even the finest and smalles, but I didn't see that much volume.
Unfortunately it starts to dry out after two weeks, and makes the whole process of applying much harder.
So whoever is satisfied with a two-week mascara, this is wonderful, but I personally wouldn't buy it again.

Hmm, I get better results with Maybelline Volum Express. The waterproof version of Hypnose is one of the clumpiest mascaras I've ran into! It does hold the curls and does not budge until you remove it but gives you minimal volume and clumps sooo bad. It's a shame, I love the regular version of Hypnose but this doesn't come close.

I've been using this for the past few months and when I first started it, I loved it because everyone else seemed to love it and it just kind of affected me (lol i know that sounds rediculous). But after a month or so, I start to dislike it. It's supposed to have "buildable volume" but I don't find my lashes to be very voluminous after applying it. Would clumping my lashes together to look like several big lashes be called "voluminous"? I really don't think so.... But I must say, this mascara does a GREAT job in lengthening! If you curled your lashes well, and put on this mascara, your lashes will be lengthened quite a bit! That's one thing I like about it
However, I don't think it gave me a lot of volume because it just clumped my lashes together!
DEFINITELY very waterproof! You cannot get this thing off without waterproof eye makeup remover. I guess this is a good thing since it is ACTUALLY waterproof and does not smudge at all!!
Overall, this mascara is alright, I think there are mascaras out there that will give me the same effect for a much lesser price! This mascara is very pricey... so I don't think I will invest in it anymore.

I've heard from several of my friends that the hypnose works wonderfully for them, in terms of volumising and lengthening. However, for me, its not HG material.

Good points- Lengthens, smudge proof, easy to buy/find

Bad points- Clumpy, doesnt separate the lashes, does not add volume to the lashes, the smooth surface of the packaging/wand makes application a bit hard, expensive (220HKD), doesnt hold the curl, spidery look

I can't say enough about how this mascara has changed my makeup routine.. I stopped using mascara for awhile because I was stumped at finding anything that made my lashes stand out and hold a curl.. thicken and lengthen... This makes my lashes amplified and finishes off my look with a BANG! I LOVE LOVE LOVE this mascara. I don't get the hype with definicils but will use the 2 together to get extra length but Hypnose volumizes and lengthens..and curls!! I have small monolidded asian eyes with straight short stubborn downward sloping lashes, and this mascara makes my eyes look twice as big as they do normally! I usually use Shiseido's eyelash curler and then apply, but I got lazy one day, and just applied it, and it actually curls and lifts the lashes upward! I couldn't believe it. I love it! It holds my curl on my stubborn lashes and it is buildable.. but don't wait minutes between coats..it is a disaster to try to reapply after a minute or two. My method: I usually swipe off most of the mascara into the tube, apply slowly with wiggles, and repeat until I like the way it looks.. I noticed I got more dramatic look without having to repeat the strokes if I just bring the brush up slowly--from root to tip in 2-3 secs.. It is sort of dry.. I see what people mean by that, but I don't think it would hold the curl as well if it weren't! It is very waterproof and I take it off with Bifacil no problem.. If you are Asian, have stubborn short straight lashes, save your $$ and try this!! After spending so much time and money on mascara (Diorshow, Iconic, Fiberwig, Clinique, drugstore brands, EL projectionist) with mediocre results... $24 is not that much to spend! I will re-purchase for life!

I heard so many good things about this mascara, and after reading a few reviews I decided to try it. It is not as good as the regular Hypnose. The good aspects: it adds a lot of volume, it holds a curl, adds a moderate amount of length. The bad is that it is really dry which feels gross on the lashes and you can even tell by the look of it on that it is dry; it also looks dull in color and I lost more lashes than usual in the removal process both times I tried this (and I was afraid to try a third time- was losing too many lashes). It is truly waterproof though. It's just too drying.

I have medium length lashes that point down, and I've tried a couple of mascaras but none of them worked like hypnose. I have teary eyes a lot and I can't not wear waterproof. It didn't smudge on me at all for seven hours. It thickened as well as lengthened my lashes. I'd probably buy it again in the future. The only thing I didn't really like was that it was kind of pricey. Some say its hard to remove, but bi-facil eye make up remover also from lancome works really well on getting it all off.

Popular Mascaras