E.L.F. Foundation brush

Price: $

on 7/1/2012 10:55:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

I bought this on impulse at Target for $.70! However, it sat around for a while because I was using a foundation that went on best with my fingers. Then I read the reviews here and decided not to even bother trying it with foundation. Instead I listened to the suggestions and applied my facial masks with it. For that purpose, it is great and I have no complaints.

on 6/24/2012 5:59:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Ive only used this brush once because in all honesty i rather apply my foundation with my fingers. i decided to try it out because it was a buck. i feel like when i used it more of the product ended up in the brush then my skin. when i washed out the brush i was pissed at all the product that was going down the drain. im not too disappointed bc this was only a dollar, ill probably use this to apply my mint julep mask or any homemade mask that i need to use a brush that i dont care about so this wasn't a bad buy for me personally dont think i will repurchase this for a foundation brush but maybe just for a brush i can ruin while applying face masks.

Favorite concealer brush! It's perfect for under my eyes when I have pesky dark circles. For $1, too... PERFECT.

Im just starting out using makeup brushes so when i found this for only a dollar i had to get it. I am not really dissappointed because i only got it for $1 but it fell apart on me and it left my foundation all streaky
Plus i got scratches on my face because of it but like i said it was only $1 so im not mad. Realyy wanting to try the eco tools makeup brushes but cant afford them sepreatly so im trying to find the perfect kit that has a reasonable price. So looks like i will keep using my fingers for now.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

ELF's Essential Foundation brush is a basic, synthetic bristled, paddle shaped foundation brush. My preferred foundation application method is with a wet sponge, but I decided to give a brush a try. This brush, like all ELF products, is vegan. ELF can be purchased online, or at Target, Kmart, or Big Lots. Like all products in the Essential line, ELF's Foundation brush costs just $1.
ELF Essential brushes come packaged in a clear plastic envelope, which can be kept for travel purposes, but I toss mine out. The brush it's self has a white handle with the name of the product written in small, silver lettering. The silver, metal ferrel isn't attached to the handle as firmly as it should be, but it's not like it's falling apart or anything. The bristles are made of a synthetic material that I believe is called Taklon, though I could be wrong. The bristles vary in length and form a paddle shape. The bristles are quite stiff , but still have enough give and flex to contour to the curves and angles of your face, which is exactly what the ELF website promises this brush will do.
I'm not really loving the look of my foundation after using this brush. It's not streaky or uneven, but it's just not as flawless as when I apply it with a damp cosmetic wedge. I also fail to see the point of using this brush when I need to go in afterwards and blend under my eyes, around my nose, and around my piercings. I also feel kinda silly using this brush because I feel like I'm painting my face. My dad is a house painter, and over the years I've picked up various painting techniques. I've put some of those techniques to use and they seem to help prevent streaky application. Thanks dad.
This brush washes pretty well. Because of the texture of the bristles, ELF's Foundation brush doesn't soak up much excess foundation, therefore rinsing out the brush is no problem at all. The brush dries quickly and keeps it's shape perfectly.
I'm pretty neutral about ELF's Foundation brush. I don't regret buying it, but at the same time I could live without it. This brush isn't going to change my daily makeup routine, I'm still going to use a moist wedge on most days, but I'll bust this brush out from time to time. But really this isn't a bad brush. It's not perfectly constructed, but it doesn't shed, its easy to clean, and it keeps it's shape. ELF's Essential Foundation Brush isn't a bad buy for $1. I can't see myself repurchasing this brush. Pick it up if you're curious about trying a foundation brush, but skip it if you already have one you like.

on 5/17/2012 2:36:00 PM

Never used a foundation brush before but wanted to try it out so decided to get the cheapest one I could find and experiment. Overall, I'm pretty indifferent when it comes to the product (note the 3 lippies) but there are things worth noting. Pro/con? You decide...
- The bristles feel like plastic. Feels a little rough and dense when applying makeup. Does streak if you don't take the time to blend but the brush does offer heavier coverage than the sponge I was using. I take the time to blend it out and love the coverage when i use this brush with my heavier liquid foundation. Haven't used it for powder foundations because I tend to use kabuki brushes for those.
- The bristles dry very quickly after washing them. I tend to wash the brush after every application and the brush is dry for the next day. Despite washing it everyday, no problems with the yellow bristles falling out.
- The cost was definitely budget-friendly. I was more than happy to pay a dollar to experiment and was pleased that it worked well enough for me to continue to use it.
- I'm sure the more expensive ones with better bristles would do a better job but I didn't want to spend a bunch of money while being a novice at this new application technique.
Overall, I'd say gamble with a dollar and see how you like it. Definitely best for novices... not for those product junkies that have plenty of experience with brands and technique.

on 5/14/2012 3:05:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I hate this.... didn't do anything to make my skin look flawless.

on 5/7/2012 3:39:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I don't know why people are complaining about this brush. what do you expect for 1.50? I have never used a brush to apply foundation before, I have always used my fingers. I decided to try it however, and it only makes your face look streaky if you don't use it properly! you have to blend it in. Yes the brush is a little flimsy but as I have said, what do you expect for the price? It's not exactly going to be of the same quality as a MAC brush that costs 20+. I personally love it and I would buy it again

on 4/26/2012 9:52:00 AM

I love this brush. It's never been streaky for me when applying liquid or cream foundations. I actually really like it for using powder foundations and concealers around my eyes as well. It's the perfect size, and it's soft yet firm. Not to mention it was $1. What more can you ask for? My HG foundation brush!

on 4/25/2012 7:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Got this free with an ELF order and decided to give it a go even though I usually have good results applying my foundation with my fingers. I actually quite liked the style of the brush with the orange / yellow coloured bristles and the white handle - makes it easy to find in my stack of brushes (good for when you're doing your makeup in the morning and still only half awake). Although the packaging does make it look very cheap. Anyway I gave it such a low review because it streaked terribly and it used up a lot of product. Just glad I didn't pay for it and got it for free!

Popular Makeup Brushes