November 26, 2014 | 1005 users online

Treatments - Neutrogena - Instant Nail Enhancer [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2006 11:18:00 AM More reviews by kitty62

Yes, this can definitely build up and peel off. But the trick is to apply as thin a coat as possible. And if you follow Neutrogena's directions .. to squeeze the tube while holding it upside down .. too much product will flow out. So after some experimenting, I found that it's best not to squeeze at all after shaking, and to hold the tube at only a 45-degree angle. I also tap the tube onto a tissue before applying to get any excess off the brush. With this method, I'm able to use this everyday without any peeling or buildup.
I use this in the daytime, applying right after my shower. At night, I use Burt's Bees lemon butter cuticle cream. The dry, ridgy look my nails usually get at this time of year is gone, and that's exactly what I was hoping for.
I highly recommend this if you want to break the vicious cycle of using nail polish to cover up peeling, dry-looking nails. Whether it's the actual product doing the job, or just laying off the polish, the mission has been accomplished. continued >>

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2006 11:11:00 PM More reviews by redhairdreamer

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I didnt see much improvement, or really much of anything with this product. I know its a natural buffed look, but it didnt really look much different from the hand I didnt do. What I loveeee is the packaging. Every nail polish should be like this. I was able to do both the right and left hand with ease. I dont know why more nail polishes arent made this way. Maybe its because they are thicker? Overall I dont think ill buy it again. The smell wasnt bad at all I just dont see it really being worth buying it it doesnt do much. But maybe you would like it.
*UPDATE: I switched to No Miss products for nails. They are amazing! and as natural as nail products can be.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2006 9:46:00 PM More reviews by Brendelwoman

This is a great product is you want a pretty look for your nails but don't want to actually buff them or apply messy polish.

Pearl Sheen - I bought both the buff and the pearl. At first I did not like the pearl, but now I have decided it is a nice change and looks quite pretty. However, it requires more maintenance than the buff. For one, I shake the bottle more than I do with the buff and I only apply one coat. Putting on more than one with the Pearl tends to look gloppy, imo. I do dishes by hand and this will not last through a dish washing. And because of the pearliness of this, you will notice it as it wears away. But that's okay because I can easily put it on again.

Buff Sheen - this is great for that buffed look. With kids it is great because I just put a coat of this on after I apply my make-up. I can apply it every day as it takes a maximum of 10 seconds!

Price - $6 is a little price, I think, but I will keep using it.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/11/2006 12:51:00 PM More reviews by brooksbelle

Love this product!! I had to experiment a bit to figure out how it works best, but it really does strengthen the nails. The trick seems to be to just wear ONE coat of it until it wears off. If you get it too thick, it can peel and get a little gunky. I now apply it about 2-3 times a week. This product is best if you want a natural/no polish look and want a little shine and nourishing treatment for your nails.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2006 2:06:00 AM More reviews by Wendy1954

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I was attracted to this product by the concept, but the follow up left a lot to be desired. When I first applied it, I was very happy with the product. It went on evenly, dried instantly w/o much polish smell. The negative is that if you don't apply it all the time and your nails bend even slightly, it leaves that cracked ridgy look that another application does not cover up. Then it just looks like clear polish that is wearing off badly. I do wish it worked because I like the clean buffed look on my hands. I am a cheap SOB so I will still use it and if I have a change of heart, I'll update my findings. Sorry Neutrogena, back to the drawing board.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2005 12:16:00 PM More reviews by tropical___pinkk

I LOVE this stuff. I am a big fan of being au naturale with my nails, and this is absolutely perfect! I have used both the Pearl Sheen and the Buff Sheen, however, I only used the Pearl Sheen once (it's my friend's). I have to say that my Buff Sheen is great! It dries very quickly, no bad smell, and it literally gives my nails an instant sheen that makes my nails look like I just buffed them. My nails already feel stronger and look so much healthier! After SHAKING the bottle, and applying ONE coat of this stuff at night, I wake up with healthy and smooth nails. I used Pearl Sheen, and I found that you neeeed to shake the bottle and give it a decent squeeze, then after that the product starts to flow. I am definitely buying this product again!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2005 7:30:00 PM More reviews by MegE

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

At first I liked this product. I purchased the pearl shade and it left a, um, pearl sheen. =) I liked the applicator, and it applied smoothly and quickly. But it wears uneavenly and my nails don't look as healthy as they should. It peels a bit, too. Waste of money.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/2/2005 6:17:00 PM More reviews by Brelki

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I just started using this product, but I haven't experienced the peeling of it in the water. I also can't really notice a difference yet either. It does give my nails a nice shine though (I'm using the regular clear version). I'm not one to wear nail polish, so this is a great choice instead of clear topcoat, and this sounds healthier for my nails too! I LOVE the applicator; it is so much easier to use than nail polish (sadly, my left hand cannot paint my right one).
All in all, this is a pretty nice product. I'll update this later after I've used it more. If it works well, I'll buy the pearl one.

UPDATE: I really do like this product, and my nails seem stronger. My dh even commented the other day that my nails look nice.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/9/2005 10:43:00 PM More reviews by vietgurlisa

This product is great! Every polish or basecoat I use chips off in a day. I liked this concept. This makes your nails looked like you buffed them, with a very subtle shine, not like clear nail polish or anything. If you like the buff natural look, then this is for you!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2005 7:57:00 AM More reviews by df1965

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a great product. I have tried various other nail products for strengthening and have not been happy until now. I had read a review of this product in a magazine and decided to give it a shot. Within a week I noticed a smoother texture to my nail.My nails have definitely grown and spliting seems to have ended after only two weeks of use.Unlike other reviewers, I have not experienced the gummy feeling on nails. Use it lightly as the instructions say and you're good to go. Cudos to Nuetrogena- they have another fine product to boast about. Definitely my HG nail product forever.