Clinique Almost Lipstick - Black Honey

4.1

castor seed oil, cetyl ricinoleate, glyceryl triacetyl ricinoleate, candelila wax, carnauba wax, polyethylene, tocopheryl acetate [ yellow 5 lake (ci 19140), red 33 lake (ci 17200), red 28 lake (ci 45410), red 6 lake (ci 15850), blue 1 (ci 42090), iron oxides (ci 77491, 77492, 77499), red 7 lake (ci 15850), mica, bismuth oxychloride (ci 77163), red 30 lake (ci 73360), carmine (ci 75470), manganese violet (ci 77742), red 22 lake (ci 45380), titanium dioxide (ci 77891), red 21 lake (ci 45380), yellow 6 lake (ci 15850), red 27 lake (ci 45410), orange 5 (ci 45370), red 36 (ci 12085)]

on 7/26/2013 7:35:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

Lovely balm like texture and subtle colour for those days when you don't want gloss or lipstick. I find this a bit too much on the purple/brown side when I use more than one layer (it makes me look a little sallow - I have very yellow undertones) but once I rub one layer in with my finger, it gives a slight berry stained look that is much more pretty! It doesn't last too long on the lips (2-3 hrs with eating) but its easy enough to reapply that it's not a problem.

A slightly more browner version of this would be 'fig jam' by revlon which I also like!

on 7/24/2013 6:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Love this as it is so effortless and always looks good. Perfect color. Perfect feel. Easy to carry and use. Love it for travel.

on 7/17/2013 5:23:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I like this product a lot actually. It has a nice color and the texture is very nice. Staying power isn't too long it it doesn't bother me. On my lips it comes out as a sheerish bright red. It looks pretty but I'm not really a red lipstick kind of person. I like the Rosey pink, berry, and mauve kind of shades more. But it's really nice.

Another cult product that lives up to his fame. I think this has that perfect plummy/pink/brownish shade that gives a MLBB effect. I'm sure it looks better on darker skinned ladies as I'm on the paler side and my natural lip color simply isn't brownish. However, i still think it looks great and i love the formula since it glides onto my lips without tugging and it is moisturizing.

on 6/25/2013 7:13:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

i was really excited to try this because I've read good reviews. i really like the texture and how it moisturizes my lips and it provides some color, love the packaging too. However, the color is a little to dark for my Nc25 (asian) skin and made me look older. Love the formula but color does not suit my skintone.

on 6/2/2013 11:20:00 AM

I got a free sample of this with a sephora purchase. I like the texture of this lipstick- it is gel-like and goes on smoothly. It is also quite pigmented. I have very fair skin and with two swipes of this lipstick, I already have a dramatic look. I like how this product is not drying on my lips. Although I do like this product, I do not consider this product to be amazing or superior in any way. I would rate it a three overall.

Update: I am taking away a lippie because no matter how many times I try to use this product, it sticks to ANY dry skin on my lips and makes the color look uneven. I have tried to be patient, but this is ridiculous!

on 5/22/2013 11:54:00 PM

Awesome. When I have a couple extra dollars this is another lip color I've bought over the years and always been delighted with. Color perfect as it's so sheer. Packaging, not so much. Lip falls off easily. If it stayed on for a long time it would be absolutely perfect, but...what is?
The End.

on 5/20/2013 1:59:00 PM

For a lip finish that is neither too matte or too glossy, and with a color that is just rich enough for my olive skin tone, Clinique's Black Honey is a winner. I've used this product for several years and despite its price (approx. $13) it's a must have in my makeup stash.

When it's packaged as an Almost Lipstick you will see why - it's very translucent when worn. I doubt it's possible for the color to ever look too heavy handed when applied. Don't be afraid by how dark the color looks in the tube, which appears to be a deep purple-black color. The application is super sheer and glides on smoothly and gives a dewy, just bitten look to the lips. Curious about how the color may look? If you've seen Liv Tyler in LOTR, this is the color she wears. I usually describe it as a wine shade. I have been lucky enough to have it mistaken as my natural lip color (haha, I wish).

One tube lasts me at least 3 months of highly repetitive use. Which brings me to the cons; the product is not the longest lasting, especially after eating or drinking. The formulation doesn't cause my lips to peel, crack or dry (yay!) but I wish that there was a touch more moisture to it. However, it's an excellent color to use alone, blended with other colors and can be intensified by wearing it with a rich raisin or wine colored lip liner.

Last but not least, the packaging is beautiful. The tube is sleek, slender and silver-toned. There are now other "honeys" added to the Almost Lipstick line, which I am very tempted to try.

I can be skeptical with cult products, but... I like it! It's pretty 'buildable' and one application can give you a berry stained effect, and you can also layer it for a dramatic deep look without coming across as too gothic. It's moisturizing with average staying power. I will repurchase again.

A classic, looks good on any skin tone and is very moisturizing. A nice amount of color as well.

Popular Lipsticks