November 22, 2014 | 953 users online

Lipstick - NARS - Belle De Jour

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2008 6:01:00 PM More reviews by Kuuipogal

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Very wearable nude that doesn't look like concealor.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/1/2008 8:39:00 PM More reviews by kiwilie

This is a creamy lipstick in a nice nude shade. Suggested to me at Sephora when I asked for a nude lipstick. I like the colour and the texture, but I can't say it's a very nice lipstick... It doesn't seem to settle, it moves around too easily; I can't even apply lip gloss on top without it being totally smudged off. The colour is also very sheer, my lips end up looking nude-pink instead of just nude.

A nice lipstick, but I don't think it's worth its $30 CDN price tag.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/28/2007 6:53:00 PM More reviews by BrigitteBardot

I heard that J.Lo uses this lipstick, & since my coloring is somewhat similar to hers & I just adore her makeup (especially her nude lippies), I'd thought I'd like this lipstick. I actually love it. It's a super-pretty nude color, not too light/whitish & not too pink/dark for me. Just perfect. The lipstick could taste a little better though (I'm used to the lovely taste of MAC lipstick.), & it's kind of dry. I'd definitely buy it again though because the color is so pretty & flattering on me.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/27/2007 5:21:00 PM More reviews by kaori7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It's okaaaaaaaaay. It was a neutral color and I will use it for that, but it wasn't as flattering as I had hoped.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/25/2007 5:08:00 AM More reviews by danceituphomie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

one of the few nude lipsticks that doesn't totally wash me out or look like i put concealer on my lips. my lips are very pigmented & this does the job at toning it down. like others have said, make sure to exfoliate & moisturize before applying.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/19/2007 1:56:00 PM More reviews by chelsrae85

This is by far my favorite lipstick of all time. The perfect honey-nude for my skin! It's soft, creamy, velvety, and covers my highly pigmented purpley lips!

I received it as an extra in a swap, then promptly decided that it was not going to last long so I ordered a second tube on Ebay! *a word of wisdom, they're half price on ebay compared to retail*

It looks lovely when the eyeshadow is heavily done, or bright. A soft nude lip is a perfect finish for this look!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/9/2007 3:04:00 AM More reviews by brockinbeats

I've been on a hunt for a beige nude lipstick that does not look like YLBB but does not make me look dead either. I have naturally pink lips that turn most pinky beige lipsticks into pink and BdJ managed to subdue the naturally pink lips into beige elegance! The texture is sheer with a bit of sheen - very pretty, but it does show slight dryness on my lips. I put a light swipe of L'Oreal Colour Riche Gloss in Soft Brown (really a shimmery gold) on top and voila - perfection! Beige, nude lips with light baby pink undertone - perfect colour, perfect texture, perfect amount of sheen. It doesn't look made up, just perfectly polished. I took off 1 lipstick due to the need for the gloss, but the combo does look amazing - not pink, not peach, not coral but the perfect nude with a tinge of milky pink. Some comparison with other beige / nudes (YMMV):
NARS Barbarella - creamier, is more of a beige coral shade.
NARS Napoli - same texture (sheer, slight sheen) but has more pink / mauve.
NARS Honolulu Honey - creamier, semi matte, and is more of a true beige (BdJ has a bit of peach in it).
NARS Viva Las Vegas - sheerer, shows up just as a light gold / champagne sheen on me.
NARS Blonde Venus - creamier, semi matte and has more brown and a lot more peach, almost a tinge of orange.
Clinique LL Soft shine in Creamy Nude - is YLBB on me, pinky/mauve with a touch of beige. What I want is beige with a touch of baby pink so this is way too much mauve although the texture is nice and creamy.
Clinique Buttershine in Adore U - gorgeous colour, gorgeous texture - slightly milky nudey pink with a slight shimmer and a really nice sheen. It is less pink than the Creamy nude, but still too much pink.

The more I wear this, the more I love it - it's gorgeous with a light layer of sheer gloss on top. One does not look made up, only impossibly, perfectly put together. I am loving this so much, I am considering getting either Honolulu Honey / Blonde Venus / Barbarella for another version of nude lips. continued >>

20 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2007 8:30:00 AM More reviews by pretty_please

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was playing in my stash and rediscovered this lipstick. I havent been into nude lips for like a year (I decided YLBB flushed bitten type colors were my main thing) but its good to switch it up once in a while too so I tried this on. I'm glad I did because it looked awesome, I'm a PPP and its hard to find a good nude for me (My fav aside from BdJ is MAC Style It Up) & Jubilee because most are to light (pinky nudes) or to dark (beige nudes). Belle de Jour is a peachy nude and while it does have orange tones to it they arent that horrendous assy orange color, just subtle. If you are getting that assy overly orange look from BdJ that you might be applying it to thickly, thats what I did at first. But now I use a neutral lip liner (I like Jordana Natural best for this) before and a thin liquid-y clear gloss or lip plumper after I apply a very minimal coat of Belle de Jour. Perfect nude lips, even for someone as pale as me. I only have one complaint; the texture / formula is on the dry side and as this lipstick is so expensive that I would expect more for the price I did take one lipstick off its rating for that. Otherwise I like this and will rebuy if I ever make it thru my tube.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2007 9:11:00 PM More reviews by mecepeda

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

A nice lippie, though a bit drying...as others have noted, you should exfoliate or mositurize your lips well before applying. I think I liked this better when I initially purchased it -- I bought it because I heard that it was an especially good nude color for people with warm olive skin (I bought this because it looks good on J-Lo, I am rather embarrassed to admit...but my coloring is similar), and the truth is that it is very nice...but my lips are a bit too pigmented for it, so I have to apply a warmer gloss on top. I tend to be more of a gloss person, so I have switched to Bobbi Brown Warm Peach gloss for the summer...but all in all, a wearable nude for those with yellow undertones.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2007 8:56:00 AM More reviews by misscurlylocks

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This colour looks like a typical Briget Bardot Beige - beige-orange.
This colour Belle De Jour is more sheer in colour and tints rather than colours the lips. I was disapointed after purchasing this online as the colour was discribed as a nude-pink but is is more nude-orange. It wears off in minutes and is also too sheer for any colour - you would need to consider a base for this if you want it to stay on for an hour.

The encasing is the signiture black with white logo across the lid. I think the casing is great and this is proabably the only lipstick I have had whereby the lid doesnt come lose in my bag. The packaging is nice and simple and is good quality. But you buy for the lipstick and this is a colour I wont be missing out on if it discontinues. For the money you pay you expect a quality lipstick but I am soooo disapointed, I think you would be too.
I won't buy this again, but Nars do look unique in their colour range.