November 23, 2014 | 1971 users online

Bath Treatments - LUSH - Big Blue Bath Bomb

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/28/2008 8:54:00 PM More reviews by Eva16

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

“What do you want for Christmas?” enquired my boyfriend two days before Christmas. He does so like to be organised!

“Balls,” I replied.

“Urgh what…Have I said something wrong?” came the puzzled response.

“No you fool, I want Lush Big Blue Bath Ballistics, you know the big blue balls with bits of seaweed in.” I explained patiently.

“Big blue balls,” he mused, “Sounds painful!”

“Get on with you,” I admonished as I hastily scribbled my requirements onto a piece of paper and thrust it into his hand. He grinned cheekily and wiggled his eyebrows at me before duly plodding off to the nearest Lust shop to stock up on “surprise” presents for me.

On christmas day, he handed me my presant. “Your balls, madam” he grandly announced over Christmas dinner, to which my mother choked on a brussel sprout and my brother collapsed into a helpless heap of mirth when great granny said, “Did someone mention stuffing balls?”

So it was with great anticipation that I looked forward to my Big Blue Boxing day bath. I knew that with the plethora of sports programmes on the telly I would be assured of at least an hour’s indulgent, uninterrupted soak. I ran a very full pleasantly hot bath and lowered myself into the deep, steaming water. Once settled comfortably I dried my wet hands on a towel before I unwrapped the Big blue from its cellophane bag. The vivid blue bath ballistic is ample in its proportions and is roughly the size of a tennis ball. The ballistic is a beautiful vivid speedwell blue impregnated with plump pieces of emerald green seaweed and the ball is given a generous kiss of sparkling crystals of Atlantic sea salt.

I dropped the ballistic into the water and instantly the ball which is made from Bicarbonate of Soda started to fizz loudly and created an eddy of swirling, hissing, bubbling foam releasing not only the most beautiful aroma but also dispersing strands of chunky dark green seaweed. The water developed a simply fantastic turquoise hue topped with a thick layer of sparkling rich, dense bubbling foam. I laid back and closed my eyes and as the bubbling blue water enveloped my body I was instantly transported away to the warm, lapping waves of the Mediterranean. The briny smell of Atlantic sea salt which originally encrusts the big blue in a crunchy thick layer mingles beautifully with the relaxing lavender to soothe the mind and soul whilst allowing the refreshing lemon oil to invigorate and stimulate the body.

I swished my fingers lazily through my pool of warm turquoise bath water feeling like a beautiful siren of the sea. The juicy strands of mineral rich seaweed nudged gently over and around my body. The seaweed doesn’t come in long ribbon like lengths as you may imagine but rather they are short, around two to three inches in length, but the addition of them adds to the whole luxurious pampering experience.
Eventually after an hour or so of wallowing in my tranquil pool of serenity I reluctantly vacated my bath (only doing so when my top up water ran cold). I dried myself and was pleased to find that even after an hour in hot water my skin felt soft, moist and hydrated. There was no need to use a body lotion or moisturiser and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could still smell the fragrance on my skin the next day. The uplifting, fresh slightly salty smell lingered around my skin for hours and my bathroom and hallway was infused in a delightful “seaside” aroma; making me crave another delicious bath ballistic but at £2.25 per go these really are an indulgent treat to be leisurely savoured.

The seaweed cleaned up very easily, most of it migrated towards the plughole and it was easy just to scoop it out and throw it in the bin. There was a light blue ring around the bath, too, but this wiped off easily with a damp cloth. All in all the big blue was a decadent experience and I had a deeply relaxing bath which soothed the skin and the mind and whisked me away from the grey, watery clouds and cold wolds of London to much sunnier climates. This indulgence was made even more pleasurable when I imagined by boyfriend asking the 50+ sales lady in Lush for, “Two big blue balls please!”

Lush Big Blue Bath Ballistic 200g costs £2.25 each

27 out of 29 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 5/22/2008 More reviews by neverfadetogray

I got this for free because my last purchase from Lush was over $50, I believe. I like sweet scents best as well as some citrus scents, and I figured I may as well try it.

It did turn the water a pretty blue and my bath was very relaxing. The scent is true to the description - lemon and lavender - but I thought it smelled nice and fresh. On the other hand, I wasn't crazy about the seaweed and a good amount of it went down the drain (whether or not it'll clog remains to be seen). Wasn't expecting that. And honestly, I didn't notice any effect on my skin at all.

I don't think I'd actually purchase this myself, but it was nice to give it a shot, especially with all the hype I'd heard about it.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/11/2008 3:03:00 AM More reviews by swanlake107

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I liked the scent and the nice blue color this turned the bath water, but it didn't do any miracles for my skin. It was just ok. I knew I could have put the bath bomb in some nylons, but I didn't have any old ones and I thought the seaweed would be ok- it was really weird. They were hard and majorly clogged my drain. If there were little pieces, I wouldn't mind, but they were too big and useless.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2008 9:22:00 PM More reviews by hellokittyfan1974

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I liked the scent of this bathbomb! It's a fresh and relaxing scent of lemon and lavender. This bomb turned my water a beautiful blue color and fizzed quickly & then shot out peices of real seaweed in my tub. The scent lingers on you skin for a few hours but not a lot of staying power. I think the next time I use this one I'll sock it cuz it was a bitch to clean the seaweed even with my tub strainer.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2008 7:40:00 PM More reviews by pinkpixey

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I think this was my first lush product I have used and it is amazing!! I love how it is natural and handmade. It turns the water a cool shade of blue and leaves your skin soft. My favorite part about it is the smell which makes the bathroom and the rooms around it smell nice, but is not an overpowering.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2008 3:58:00 PM More reviews by lindsey835

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I didn't pick up an "ocean" scent from this bomb. If anything, the lavender scent was overpowering and the lemon smelled more like cleaning products. I was also unprepared for the seaweed explosion, which I found more gross than relaxing. Sock this one if you must purchase, but I would not recommend it.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/14/2008 12:28:00 AM More reviews by emilykollaja

I deffinitly have purchased my fair share of bath bombs. And to be honest this was one of the most dissapointing of them all. like all bath bombs the packaging, is a cellophane bag and thats about it. I paid about 6 dollars for the bomb which is always a little dissapointing when it doesnt meet the consumers expectations. I did enjoy the lovely color that this bomb created, which was a nice teal or sea blue color, and the scent wasn't very strong, but thats something that i personally like. What weirded me out was the seaweed. When purchasing, one doesnt expect any floaters because they are deeper within the ball. I also never felt as though the sea weed had any cosmetic effect at all, they just looked like shriveled little worms.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/24/2008 10:42:00 PM More reviews by drivenbyyourmom

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I was really disappointed in this bath bomb. First of all, the seaweed is repulsive. I was NOT prepared for that. The color is pretty and I actually was able to imagine that I was floating around in the ocean near some tropical island. I did NOT care for the scent at all, but I know that some people love it. Scent is really just a personal preference and this scent is not for me. Also, the sea salt was excessive...I think 80-90% of the bath bomb is actually just salt. Lastly, when I got out of the bath, I was itchy because it was not moisturizing. Overall, this was a dud for me. I will not purchase again. I might give it another try if I come by it for free or in a set.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2007 10:38:00 PM More reviews by Poppylovee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This bath bomb is so neat. It's a gorgeous, fascinating blue color (turns your water the same color). It smells really good (fresh and natural, not at all perfumey or overpowering- it's Lush, after all). It leaves your skin so soft and satiny, too. My favorite part is the seaweed. I think the nourishing soo-good-for-your-skin bits of seaweed that float around, and sink to the bottom, or your bath water are so amusing and cool. I love this bath bomb.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/2/2007 10:26:00 PM More reviews by Michelle56

This is the first product I've bought from Lush. The sales girl closed the celophane bag with a ribbon which I thought was simple but cute touch. Other than that no real packaging.

I wasn't sure what to expect and the initial FIZZ when the bath bomb hit the water shocked me a little bit. The water turned a beautiful ocean blue/green. I LOVED IT! It was like being at the beach minus the sand & salt. The bath bomb had seaweed in it which looked a lot like worms flying out as it hit the water & disolved. That was a bit gross. I wish the sales girl had warned me. They took a while to soften in the water. Clean up of the tub was awful because of the seaweed. Otherwise, I liked the bathbomb and will buy it again!

Cost was $5 for one bomb. And the whole thing is used in one bath which for me is a little bit much.