H & M H&M Clothing (General)

3.6

on 4/23/2009 2:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I can only give H & M five lippies, but if it were possible I'd give them 50 or even 5000.
In case you're unfamiliar to H & M (which is highly unlikely) I'll give you my point of view.
PROS:
1. You can find absolutely everything and anything at H & M, seriously, no matter what your style, budget, age or taste is. From basic tees/wifebeaters/cardies to runway-inspired fashion forward stuff that could pass for designer; from conservative work suits/pants/skirts to rockstar/scene attire; from oversized sweaters and knitwear to super sexy little black dresses; from church-going dresses to edgy, eccentric stuff. It's all there, seriously.
2. The price level varies from more than reasonable to incredibly cheap, depending on the style and the fabric. Everything is affordable even for people on a budget, which means you can keep up with the latest trends or religiously follow your own style pattern without spending a ton of money.
3. No pushy sales ladies, you're free to dig into the stuff without anyone bothering you (except the next girl eyeing the last size available of your lemming).
4. You can find a ton of underwear, jewellery, shoes and accessories at unbelievable prices (for example you get fab earrings for as little as 3.99 and necklaces for 5.99).
5.They also carry amazing menswear and cute clothes for kids.
6.There's new and different stuff literally every day. Which means, if you like it, please get it immidiately or ask them to set it aside for you (which in my country they do, for one or two days). You might never see it again.
7.The clothes are cheap but not necessarily cheaply made; sure they may not last you a lifetime, however most of them look rather chic and classy, also depending on what you choose and how you wear it of course (given the fact that you get an enormous range of clothes; yup, there's also teeny weeny skirts and hot pink lace leggings if you're willing to go there).
CONS:
1. The stores are always so full of people it can get annoying at times; at least where I live (but I guess pretty much everywhere else too) H & M stores can be crowded to the point that you have to wait for more than ten minutes to get to the dressing rooms or to the cashier. And of course you should forget about it on Saturday mornings.
2. You cannot count on any help from the sales ladies; they're there mainly to clean up the mess customers leave behind as they dig into clothes. Which means you have to find what you want by yourself, and if it's not on the shelf it's probably unavailable at the time. It may come back later though.
3. The quality is not always that amazing. This definitely doesn't mean that you have to expect anything to fall apart by the third time you get to wear it; I've personally had H & M clothes for years that are perfectly wearable today. However they do tend to lose buttons/get slightly flawed. Quite honestly though I've had much more exensive stuff that didn't last that well either, so that's not necessarily a turnoff to me. Generally at H & M most of the time the price is more than reasonable for what you get.
To sum things up, IMHO any lady has every possible reason to visit H & M regularly. Even if you prefer very durable clothes, designer stuff and personalised service, a visit at H & M every now and then can keep you looking like a fashion expert cheaply.

In general, I love H&M clothing. I do, however, find it to be a bit cheap from time to time. The coat I bought there this winter lost a button within 2 weeks, and I've had shirts get holes in random places after only a couple wears. Kudos to them, though, for always attaching an extra button inside the shirts/coats. The prices are usually very reasonable-cheap, so when I shop there, I tend to buy a lot at once. However, you get what you pay for and that could explain lost buttons and surprise holes in my clothes. I will continue to shop there though. Overall, all of my experiences have been pleasant, it's affordable, and the clothes are constantly changing. I can keep up with the layest styles for less.

on 3/6/2009 6:21:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I grew up with H&M and am so glad that after I moved to the US they came here too! It is cheap clothing that doesn't look cheap. In fact, sometimes it really looks high fasion. A lot of it is cotton or other easy fabrics with original designs and details. Also, the sizes always fit, so I often buy things without trying them on.
Only downside, its dirt cheap, so it is not always the best quality. But I also have basic shirts I bought 5+ years ago that still get some wear in them.

on 11/15/2008 3:20:00 AM

I buy work clothes and accessories from H&M. Great for its price. It's kind of like Forever21, so I wash them pretty carefully. It's affordable and doesn't look cheap. Pretty good deal.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

For the most part I like H & M clothes but sometimes they fit funny. I always have to try on a few sizes because I find the number can vary quite a bit. I also love their accessories. I got a purse there that I love and some cute silver shoes. All very reasonably priced. I have been shopping at this store for years and I usually find things I like.

on 8/23/2008 7:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure

i like shopping in h&m. u can find almost anything in there. the sales are amazing and they do price adjustments...if u ask for them. but i took off a little lippie because, with a new h&m popping up on almost every corner, here in new york, i must admit that everybody is starting to look the same. sometimes when i wear a really trendy piece from h&m, i may see 2 or 3 girls wearing the same exact thing...but i guess that happens when u wear a certain brand that is extremely popular in a certain city....(sigh)

on 8/6/2008 5:27:00 PM

I really like H&M. It sells a mixture of high fashion clothes with classic pieces that anyone can wear. Their range of shoes isn't so hot though - they are cheaply made and look a bit cheap compared to their other pieces.

But one thing that strikes me as unusual is the two ranges that they stock in store (in Europe). One is just H&M and the other is a kind of younger range of clothes that stocks practically only skinny jeans, loads of bright colours etc. etc. of the emo/goth style . . .

Anyone agree ? ?

on 7/9/2008 12:05:00 AM

I would feel much better about shopping at H&M (because let's face it, for trends that you don't want to spend a lot on it has the market cornered) if everything wasn't made by little kids in Asia. :(

on 6/24/2008 5:39:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

i love shopping at h&m.

i'm the kind of person who is kind of everywhere with her clothes. i can be dressed business causal one day, but then walking out the street with skinny jeans and converse the next. i really like how h&m carry styles that fit the taste of everyone from my mom to me. the prices are always good. although some of the quality of the cheaper clothes are not great, but you do get what you pay for.

i love their sales, and i can spend a whole day in there browsing through everything.

on 6/21/2008 4:12:00 PM

This review is solely based on H&M in San Francisco.
The prices are definitely reasonable. They have a lot of cute things and are constantly getting new stuff in. They're jewelry is cute, although I have never purchased any of it.
I think it's maybe a step or two up for forever 21. Some of their stuff can be really cheaply made but better than most stuff at Forever.

Popular Clothes