April 16, 2014 | 948 users online

Cleansers - MAC - Cleanse Off Oil

rated 4 of 5 on 4/1/2012 2:21:00 PM More reviews by jfothergill

This is the first time I have ever used a cleansing oil to remove make-up, so I only purchased the smaller 30ml option at 7.00, instead of 150ml.
I have suffered from acne and oily skin in the past, so I never touched oily products. Considering my skin has cleared up in recent months, and is actually more dry/normal now, I gave this a shot.
I applied the oil on dry skin, about 2/3 pumps seems a good amount for me - so my fingers can glide over my skin. I massaged the oil all-over my face, eyes as well, and then rinsed with lukewarm water. I have to say that it truly did remove almost every trace - mascara, foundation, eyeliner, it all went! While massaging it feels like the oil is melting away the make-up, and the water colour proves it works! After the oil I use my usual cleanser to be sure my skin is clean as can be.
I found that my skin feels more moisturised and softer after using the oil, not so tight as it did when I only used cleanser.
I will definitely continue using this product, and probably invest in the 150ml bottle next time, I have a feeling this one will not last me long!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/14/2012 2:48:00 PM More reviews by PremierT

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

This was my first cleansing oil and I don't think I will ever go back to anything else. I used many brands of makeup wipes but ALL OF THEM or any product that requires that a piece of cotton/cloth make contact with my eyes causes my lids to sting and get incredibly dry. I used EVOO on a cotton pad for years and it was much better than other removers or wipes but Cleanse Off beats the EVOO by rinsing clean and leaving no residue so I can use it on my entire face.

It is pricey. That said you only need 1 pump to get everything off, I use 2 pumps though so that my fingers glide very easily over my skin and there's no rubbing at all. It gets absolutely everything off - even the multiple coats of water-proof mascara that I wear daily. If it gets into your eyes you vision goes a bit cloudy for a few minutes but it's not irritating or painful so that doesn't bother me. Since I no longer have to rub my eye lids I've noticed that they don't itch anymore and my lids look less dark/dry so I use less concealer/eye creams. The oil doesn't smell like anything until you've rubbed it in a bit and then it smells like gingerbread which was kinda strange the first time I noticed it but it smells good and it makes me smile now.

I was worried about using an oil on my skin, but once you add water it washes off easily and leaves no film and has not caused any breakouts in the 2 months that I've used it. I'm a total cleansing oil convert - the best makeup removal method I've ever found. Non-irritating, fast, rinses clean enough to make cleansing afterwards optional and it leaves behind nothing at all not on my white linens or my Clarisonic brush head.

Notes About the Rinsing Process - once you add water, as others mentioned it does turn milky, but what they didn't mention is that you need to be careful or it gets EVERYWHERE. Essentially you've got dissolved makeup in water-like consistency and it will drip onto sleeves, splash easily and stain anything it touches. A small price to pay for something that gets all my makeup off in one gentle and fast step though so I would definitely repurchase and recommend it, just be warned.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2012 3:22:00 AM More reviews by xnobzx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

AMAZING PRODUCT!!! I have tried several different cleanse off oils in the past and I keep coming back to this one. I have VERY oily acne prone skin and this does not break me out, figured I should get that out of the way first...now on to the rest of the review. I wear a lot of long wearing products>MAC Pro long wear foundation(which WOULD break me out if I didn't use this oil to remove it), Makeup Forever Mat Velvet +, Shiseido sunscreen, Makeup Forever Aqua Eyes Pencils and cream shadows, Urban Decay 24/7 pencils, Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill waterproof formula mascara, etc. This product removes EVERYTHING easily! I know a lot of people on here are complaining about the price...well compare it to the prices of other oil cleansers on the market and this one is actually one of the cheapest. I have used Josie Maran Cleanse Off Oil, Boscia Makeup Break Up, Philosophy Purity Cleanse Off Oil, and Nars and this is by far my favorite out of them all. I also have read some negative reviews on here where the people posting it clearly are not following the directions for use...What do you expect? The directions are not suggestive, they are there for a reason. Don't think of this as a replacement for your regular face cleanser, it is a makeup remover. After using it follow up with your regular cleanser. This is the ONLY makeup remover I use, it not only cleans off your eye makeup without a trace but it also cleans off all of your other makeup as well. I will warn you all though that it will make your eyes cloudy if you get it in your eyes...however other eye cleansers do this too and the effects from this one don't seem to last nearly as long as regular eye designated makeup removers. If you're still on the fence about this product ask for a sample! You won't regret it.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/29/2012 8:58:00 PM More reviews by greytgirl

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've used several cleansing oils, and I think this is my favorite. It's a little more watery than DHC and a few others, but that's what i like. Two pumps with dry hands on a dry face and all my makeup is removed. No irritation or breakouts with this cleansing. I've purchased over four bottles and will continue to buy it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/29/2012 10:23:00 AM More reviews by gconn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

I'm on my second bottle of this cleansing oil - it's par for the course at $26/5oz. Shiseido and Boscia are about the same, DHC is $27/6.7oz. Pleasant lemony-sugar smell. Packaging is good - pump bottle, with twist-to-lock mechanism on the pump. I've traveled with it before, and no leaks. Durable plastic - I drop it all the time. You can make your own cleansing oils, but I really prefer to use this one because I know it works. Generally, I prefer cleansing oils to other forms of makeup remover (wipes, harsh foaming cleansers) because they're really thorough and non-irritating.

DO NOT get your hands or face wet before using this! I take two pumps and massage it into my face, and gently massage half pump into my eyes. Then I run some warm water and rinse it all off - it foams a little, but isn't drying. This removes ALL traces of makeup when done right. Foundation, waterproof eyeliner and waterproof mascara all disappear. There is sometimes an oily residue left behind, but I use a separate AHA cleanser anyway, so that takes care of the residue.

I do feel like MAC has been pushing it a little with the price hikes on this one - it's been upped $5 in the last 2 1/2 years! At this rate, I'm starting to develop eyes for other cleansers.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2012 11:12:00 AM More reviews by MsHepburn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This stuff is great. Just rub a little all over your dry face at night to make the oil mix with your makeup and other dirt on your face, then add a little lukewarm water and rub gently a little more to make the oil and dirt mix with the water. It should now turn into a milky sort of substance on your face. Rinse off the milky stuff and voila, a clean face, ready for bed.

My skin is extremely prone to blemishes but this is so mild and thorough I didn't have any problems using it.

However, since I am a lazy b&*ch I have now swapped this for a micellar lotion so I don't need to use water and dry off my face at all: even quicker! I don't think I will be repurchasing simply because I don't need it, but I do definitely recommend it. Don't buy into the whole 'double cleansing' myth though: that's something you might need to do with a 'real' oil that doesn't mix with water. With this one, washing your face with a face was after is absolutely one 100% unnecessary. As the oil first mixes with the grime and then the mixture mixes with the water to turn into a milky substance which can easily be rinsed away, you have already gotten every bit of junk off your face after using this and there is no residue, as long as you make sure to mix the oil on your face with a tiny bit of water first before rinsing off entirely. Using a face wash after this will only dry out your skin unnecessarily.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/12/2012 12:55:00 PM More reviews by katharineb

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This was not for me - it irritated and stung my eyes and I found it difficult to use - very watery, product gets wasted. I think it is very expensive for what it is. On the plus side, it did remove all makeup very well.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2012 1:24:00 AM More reviews by sabzter

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I picked this up quickly at MAC not knowing much about cleansing oils and wanting a thorough make-up remover. Other than a couple items, I'm not a fan of MAC at the least. I'm still waiting for this cleansing oil to break me out so that I can say "I knew it!" So far, however, it has done its job pretty well. I usually take 1-2 pumps of oil in my hands and rub it in all over my dry face at the end of the day. Then I add a tiny bit of water and rub some more. Adding a little water turns the oil white and thick. Then I rinse my face off for a couple minutes and when I feel that all of the oil is off, I wash my face again with my lavender soap (b/c I'm paranoid of breaking out). I don't mind having to wash my face twice b/c this stuff gets rid of everything! Granted, I also exfoliate often, use toner day and night, and don't wear foundation marketed as "long-wear" because my skin is super super sensitive. Unlike some reviewers, I actually LIKE the fact that the oil doesn't "lather." Maybe it's b/c I've been using it for a couple months and am used to it or b/c I'm new to cleansing oils. I just feel like whenever cleansers lather, they tend to leave your face dry and tight (in my experience at least). This oil leaves my face smooth, soft, and non-irritated (and knock-on-wood it stays that way!). When I get up in the morning, my face is brightened, smooth, soft, supple, and hydrated (not greasy). So as much as I can't stand most MAC products, this one has taken me aback. I really wanted to try Shu Uemura, but it sucks that I have to get it online and can't return if I have some sort of reaction to it since it's not sold anywhere in Arizona. Oh well, I'll stick to whatever my skin likes. I'll update if breakouts commence.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/10/2012 6:34:00 AM More reviews by SkinFreak93

This makeup remover is awesome! At first I was pretty affraid to try this product mainly because of the word "oil". But the makeup artist said the oil is not mineral oil therefore it would not clog my pores. And I never regretted buyin this product :D it removes everything so easily.
After using this remover for the first time, I tested it out by using my Cosmocell Milk Cleaser and wipe it off with tissue and there was litterally nothing there. There isnt any makeup residue left ! Amazinggg :)
The reason why I gave 4 stars is because of the price. Its pretty expensive. But its worth it.
Highly recomend it.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2012 9:18:00 AM More reviews by sweettalk1994

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is really good it removes every trace of make up which is wow lol. It keeps my face clean and smooth but it can be a bit drying for my dry skin that's why i rated it a 4 if it didn't then ill be rating it a 5.
To use this take 1-2 pumps depending on how much u need and with dry hands apply this on your dry face by massaging all the make up/dirt away and add a little bit of water 2 your face and again keep massaging untill u think everything is off and rinse clean with warm water and your face should be completely clean and smooth!! It works 4 me so it should work 4 u:)