July 22, 2014 | 2493 users online

Cleansers - MAC - Cleanse Off Oil

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2012 10:35:00 PM More reviews by mandiluk

AHH!! The best to remove all my makeup! waterproof mascara? yes. foundation? yes. eye makeup? yes! And it lasts for a super long time. Two pumps and you are ready to remove everything!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2012 2:41:00 AM More reviews by bonstamonsta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I never would have thought that applying oil on oily skin would actually work, but it does. I've been using MAC Cleanse Off oil for about 2 1/2 months now and I still have a lot left in my bottle. In the past, I had used Ponds Towelttes as my main make-up remover. I would always stock up on them too since they were relatively cheap at Target. While I didn't mind using Ponds, I did find that it was somewhat tedious and some nights, I would use 2 wipes to remove all my make-up. For reference, I normally wear Estee Lauder's Double Wear foundation. As you know, this foundation needs some work at removing. I was on the hunt for a make-up cleanser that removed all my make-up whitout tugging my skin. This is why MUA rocks! I saw all the raves about MAC Cleanse Off oil and just told myself to try it eventhough it's OIL. The product comes in a see-thru bottle with a re-closable pump top. I love it! i use two (2) squirts on my dry face (don't apply to wet face or on wet hands) and massage it all over. You can see all the make-up dissolving, even waterproof mascara and eyeliner. Keep in mind, this does cause temporary clouding in the eyes. But it goes away fast. The oil emulsifies so quickly with the water. It's like magic...one minute, you have make up on and the next, its all gone! I do follow-up with my regular facial cleanser. I seriously recommend this to everyone!!! It's amazing and it works.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2012 7:38:00 PM More reviews by misslu990

This cleanse off oil is amazing! This is the only make up remover that fully removes all of my make up. It even does a wonderful job at removing eye make up. I usually use sk emr first anyways and then dispense two pumps of Mac cleanse oil and rub between my palms and gently apply to my face I work it in for a good minute then wet my fingers and wash off. My face always feels super clean. This has never broken me out. However I do follow up with my regular cleanser afterwards.

Update (9/27/12)--- I initially thought it was my cleanser that was breaking me out and that this wasn't contributing to it but looking up the ingredients and seeing that wheat germ oil is very clog prone I now suspect that this was causing my clogged pores. I have stopped using it for over 2 weeks and my skin has improved.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2012 7:33:00 PM More reviews by Prncs06

Wish I had discovered the product sooner. Bought this after I found myself breaking out from shiseido sun protection liquid foundation. Figured out pretty quickly that I simply wasn't removing the makeup well enough at night. One night of using cleanse off oil significantly improved my skin and cleared up the recent breakout just by fully cleaning it. I love this stuff and doubt I will ever stray from it now.

I use one or one and a half pumps to clean my full face. I pat in with dry hands, on a dry face, then rinse with warm water using circular motions. Easy, quick, effective. About twice a week, I also follow up with my proactiv three step- but the rest of the time, I only use moisturizer afterward, which is a near miracle with my sensitive, oily, acne-prone skin. This product has been a game-changer for me and is a definite must-have.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/9/2012 12:47:00 AM More reviews by SleepingBag

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a very efficient makeup remover. I wear foundation daily and I find this is a stellar product for removing everything. I don't think this product is a miracle worker, but it does what it's supposed too. I like the slip of the product and that its not too stripping of natural oils. I've purchased this product twice. Also, since oil and water don't jive, its better to apply this to a dry face (although I usually wet my hands first). I should mention that there is a nice almond/spice smell.

EDIT (12/07/2012): I gave this product a lot of love for a while and repurchased several times until I figured out it was too harsh for my sensitive acne prone skin. I noticed this on my own after a while and when I checked it out on Beautypedia all my doubts were confirmed. There are irritating oils in the product, so no thanks MAC. That negative, combined with the expensive price tag, are just unacceptable for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/1/2012 2:21:00 PM More reviews by jfothergill

This is the first time I have ever used a cleansing oil to remove make-up, so I only purchased the smaller 30ml option at 7.00, instead of 150ml.
I have suffered from acne and oily skin in the past, so I never touched oily products. Considering my skin has cleared up in recent months, and is actually more dry/normal now, I gave this a shot.
I applied the oil on dry skin, about 2/3 pumps seems a good amount for me - so my fingers can glide over my skin. I massaged the oil all-over my face, eyes as well, and then rinsed with lukewarm water. I have to say that it truly did remove almost every trace - mascara, foundation, eyeliner, it all went! While massaging it feels like the oil is melting away the make-up, and the water colour proves it works! After the oil I use my usual cleanser to be sure my skin is clean as can be.
I found that my skin feels more moisturised and softer after using the oil, not so tight as it did when I only used cleanser.
I will definitely continue using this product, and probably invest in the 150ml bottle next time, I have a feeling this one will not last me long!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/14/2012 2:48:00 PM More reviews by PremierT

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

This was my first cleansing oil and I don't think I will ever go back to anything else. I used many brands of makeup wipes but ALL OF THEM or any product that requires that a piece of cotton/cloth make contact with my eyes causes my lids to sting and get incredibly dry. I used EVOO on a cotton pad for years and it was much better than other removers or wipes but Cleanse Off beats the EVOO by rinsing clean and leaving no residue so I can use it on my entire face.

It is pricey. That said you only need 1 pump to get everything off, I use 2 pumps though so that my fingers glide very easily over my skin and there's no rubbing at all. It gets absolutely everything off - even the multiple coats of water-proof mascara that I wear daily. If it gets into your eyes you vision goes a bit cloudy for a few minutes but it's not irritating or painful so that doesn't bother me. Since I no longer have to rub my eye lids I've noticed that they don't itch anymore and my lids look less dark/dry so I use less concealer/eye creams. The oil doesn't smell like anything until you've rubbed it in a bit and then it smells like gingerbread which was kinda strange the first time I noticed it but it smells good and it makes me smile now.

I was worried about using an oil on my skin, but once you add water it washes off easily and leaves no film and has not caused any breakouts in the 2 months that I've used it. I'm a total cleansing oil convert - the best makeup removal method I've ever found. Non-irritating, fast, rinses clean enough to make cleansing afterwards optional and it leaves behind nothing at all not on my white linens or my Clarisonic brush head.

Notes About the Rinsing Process - once you add water, as others mentioned it does turn milky, but what they didn't mention is that you need to be careful or it gets EVERYWHERE. Essentially you've got dissolved makeup in water-like consistency and it will drip onto sleeves, splash easily and stain anything it touches. A small price to pay for something that gets all my makeup off in one gentle and fast step though so I would definitely repurchase and recommend it, just be warned.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2012 3:22:00 AM More reviews by xnobzx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

AMAZING PRODUCT!!! I have tried several different cleanse off oils in the past and I keep coming back to this one. I have VERY oily acne prone skin and this does not break me out, figured I should get that out of the way first...now on to the rest of the review. I wear a lot of long wearing products>MAC Pro long wear foundation(which WOULD break me out if I didn't use this oil to remove it), Makeup Forever Mat Velvet +, Shiseido sunscreen, Makeup Forever Aqua Eyes Pencils and cream shadows, Urban Decay 24/7 pencils, Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill waterproof formula mascara, etc. This product removes EVERYTHING easily! I know a lot of people on here are complaining about the price...well compare it to the prices of other oil cleansers on the market and this one is actually one of the cheapest. I have used Josie Maran Cleanse Off Oil, Boscia Makeup Break Up, Philosophy Purity Cleanse Off Oil, and Nars and this is by far my favorite out of them all. I also have read some negative reviews on here where the people posting it clearly are not following the directions for use...What do you expect? The directions are not suggestive, they are there for a reason. Don't think of this as a replacement for your regular face cleanser, it is a makeup remover. After using it follow up with your regular cleanser. This is the ONLY makeup remover I use, it not only cleans off your eye makeup without a trace but it also cleans off all of your other makeup as well. I will warn you all though that it will make your eyes cloudy if you get it in your eyes...however other eye cleansers do this too and the effects from this one don't seem to last nearly as long as regular eye designated makeup removers. If you're still on the fence about this product ask for a sample! You won't regret it.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/29/2012 8:58:00 PM More reviews by greytgirl

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've used several cleansing oils, and I think this is my favorite. It's a little more watery than DHC and a few others, but that's what i like. Two pumps with dry hands on a dry face and all my makeup is removed. No irritation or breakouts with this cleansing. I've purchased over four bottles and will continue to buy it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/29/2012 10:23:00 AM More reviews by gconn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

I'm on my second bottle of this cleansing oil - it's par for the course at $26/5oz. Shiseido and Boscia are about the same, DHC is $27/6.7oz. Pleasant lemony-sugar smell. Packaging is good - pump bottle, with twist-to-lock mechanism on the pump. I've traveled with it before, and no leaks. Durable plastic - I drop it all the time. You can make your own cleansing oils, but I really prefer to use this one because I know it works. Generally, I prefer cleansing oils to other forms of makeup remover (wipes, harsh foaming cleansers) because they're really thorough and non-irritating.

DO NOT get your hands or face wet before using this! I take two pumps and massage it into my face, and gently massage half pump into my eyes. Then I run some warm water and rinse it all off - it foams a little, but isn't drying. This removes ALL traces of makeup when done right. Foundation, waterproof eyeliner and waterproof mascara all disappear. There is sometimes an oily residue left behind, but I use a separate AHA cleanser anyway, so that takes care of the residue.

I do feel like MAC has been pushing it a little with the price hikes on this one - it's been upped $5 in the last 2 1/2 years! At this rate, I'm starting to develop eyes for other cleansers.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No