MAC #187 Duo Fiber Face Brush (Stippling, Skunk Brush)

4.5

HAIRZ

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I use this brush every single day to apply my foundation love it. I take forever doing my make up and find it difficult to get an even layer without patches , this brush makes application so fast and easy. It gives a natural look , doesn't look too heavy but gives that airbrushed finish.Still I wouldn't dare purchase this from MAC , I think anyone who spends that much money on one make up brush is crazy. No offence:)x

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I bought this brush a week ago and so far it seems to be serving me well. I was kind of surprised at how expensive this brush worked out to be ($57 including tax) so I kept the receipt in case there is anything at all with the brush that I am displeased with. I use this brush to apply foundation since I am always hearing about what an airbrushed finish stippling brushes give you and so I wanted to try it out. The first few times I used it I would dip my brush in the foundation on the back of my hand and apply it to my face from there but I found that it made the foundation too full coverage for my liking so now I sloppily apply the foundation to my face with my fingers first and then do the final blending with the brush. I was kind of surprised at how flimsy the brush was, I was expecting it to be more dense and sturdy but it is definitely neither of those! Two things I am kind of unimpressed at right now is that it seems to be shedding and I have washed the brush twice since buying it and both times, black dye has run from the bristles. While I don't enjoy that I am trying to relate it to when you bring a paintbrush home and need to use it a few times first before it stops shedding and leaking dye but I really don't like taking a brush home and having it do that for $57. I will update if I return this brush but so far it seems to be serving me okay.

This was my first brush I bought, I bought it to set it with my studio fix with the mineralize powder. I absolutely adore this brush it blends powder perfectly, the salesperson recommended this to me and said its better than using a regular powder brush. It's true I was using my cousin make-up once ( I was an emergency, I don't like sharing make-up) and I used her powder brush and it just wasn't the same finish, it made the mineralize powder off all messy on the compact and wasted a lot more product, my mineralize powder and studio fix last over a year.
I actually was unaware that you could use this for liquid foundation as well, and tried it and the results were AWFUL, for me the brush hairs clumped together and left me STREAKY.
I am usually NW20 in the winter and NW30 in the summer, I only have the NW30, so it could possibly be that I need to use NW20 now since I have moved to a tropical climate and only needed to use NW30 until the pass couple of months,its like my tan faded over night hahaha. I am about to get Colorstay in Buff since I am a little tight on money right now. I will tell you how re-applying with the 187 goes with that. Maybe its the foundation not being the correct shade. But so far I would say I am effy on the results. I prefer to use it for the Mineralize Powder. The 187 and mineralize powder is my HG they work together so well.

****update****
I bought Revlon Colorstay Whipped and using the 187 gives a perfect air brushed finished. My jaw dropped how is this possible to get such different results.....This brush is made for creams, the brush is awesome. I guess studio fix and color stay are too liquid for the brush. I wish I had two brushes one for foundations and blending also wonder if they make a smaller one for cream blushes it would be heavenly. I love to use a clean 187 for blending bronzer and blush. I could honestly buy three with no regrets! I use this brush so much. I just want to say I have had my brush for four years and it still sheds:( not as much barely but its a trooper!!! good quality minus the shedding.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love the idea of this brush, but I just never reach for it. I think it's too big for foundation, I like the 131 and 130 brushes much much better.
It's nice to lightly dust on powder though, but I think it's expensive for a brush for that purpose only. So it's mostly just sitting looking pretty in my brush holder :)

This is the perfect brush if you are always on the go... This was designed for backstage rush in mind...Just pour some foundation and swirl the brush in a circular motion on the color and apply. Its so easy. The bristles are so soft yet firm enough to pick up color.... Mine does not shed. It is expensive but consider this an investment. It lasts. You do need to wash often due to build up other than that this is a great buy.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I had this brush for at least 3-4 years, at the time it was the best of its kind, even at that ridiculous price. Now, with the Real Technique stippling (pink handle) brush. All my Mac's crap are in retirement, they are cheaply (poorly) made, but not the price.

First I would like to note that I am reviewing 187se brush. I like this brush a lot since it gives me this airbrushed look when using liquid foundation. It does not leave any streaks and applies the product very well, giving a decent coverage and not looking mask like at all. My only problem is that this brush sheds :( if not for that I would give is brush a 5/5 but for now it has to be 4/5. Do not get me wrong I still like it a lot and would buy it again because it does it's job very well and I do not mind picking one or two bristles of my face once I'm done :)

I do NOT use this brush to apply any foundation whatsoever. I never even looked at this brush as a foundation applicator. I use this brush with my mineral setting powder from MAC and its like magic. For light mineral powders, this brush carries the powder right into your skin as it should and leaves your skin with the right finish. It is a reliable brush for finishing. I have not and will not use it as a foundation applicator, powder or otherwise.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

First I would like to make it known that this is a review for the SE 187, the ones that come in the set around chrismas time. Yes I am aware the SE is of slightly lesser quality than the real one. However, this brush works perfectly fine for what I use it for. It has never shed on me, it washes well and it applies setting powder well (what I use is for mostly). I believe the bristles of the SE are looser and less dense than the original, which is why I wouldnt feel comfortable using it with anything except powder products. I fear it would be too hard to blend a liquid or cream with this. It applies a thin layer of setting powder beautifully and I have no problems with this brush. Yes of course I wish I had the real one, but I am not willing to spend $42 on it when this one works fine.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this brush! It's my absolute staple face brush. It distributes liquid foundation flawlessly and uniformly every time. It blends my face products perfectly. I have a slight problem with shedding but apart from that, it's my perfect brush!

Popular Makeup Brushes