April 16, 2014 | 1513 users online

Treatments - Creative Nail Design - Solar Oil

rated 5 of 5 on 4/19/2009 1:50:00 PM More reviews by Susan2148

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't use this as a daily cuticle oil like other reviewers, so I really can't judge its performance as a treatment. However, I apply it to my nails before my manicure and it makes a tremendous difference in how my base coat and polish go on. After filing, pushing back my cuticles, etc., I apply Solar Oil to my nails and cuticles and massage it in. I wait five or so minutes, then I remove the oil with nail polish remover. Be thorough about removing it or else your nail polish won't adhere smoothly. Then I apply my base coat and nail polish as usual. Something about the Solar Oil makes my base coat go on much more smoothly than without using it. It's as if it fills in the microscopic dents and rough spots on your nails. I don't have smooth, pretty nails, but if I use this, my base coat goes shinier and glassier. It's well worth the extra effort.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2009 6:01:00 PM More reviews by ghoo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have very dry cuticles and although this feels nice at night when I put it on, it just isn't effective enough to really make a difference. The next morning my cuticles have hydrated just a bit. I don't have any nail issues (diseases), and I don't use harsh soaps and am not a frequent hand washer (nurse, etc). So as an average consumer, I was expecting more.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2009 7:54:00 PM More reviews by mariannaoust

This stuff is the shiz! I love it, it's my go to cuticle oil, i've been using it for years and it keeps my cuticles and nails in great and moisturized condition.
Complaints that it is oily and greasy are accurate, but i don't know what one expects from an ... um.. oil.
the smell is fab if you're into heavy almondy smells otherwise i recomend that you try to smell it b4 you buy, bcs i know some who think it's overpowering.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/17/2009 12:16:00 AM More reviews by synthetic

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like using this product on my nails as well as the surrounding skin. It takes about 10 minutes or so before the oil starts to be absorbed, so it can get a little messy if you're on the go...it's best if you apply it when you have some free time, like when watching television or before bed. I haven't seen a huge difference in my fingernails (but that could be because they're pretty decent to begin with), but I've noticed that it's made my toenails/toes look more presentable. To be honest, the reason I keep coming back to it is because I love the way it smells! Overall, it's a good product but not amazing.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2009 12:16:00 AM More reviews by LanesHotMom

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this! I love the smell,and it dries nail polish super fast. It also conditions cuticles, strengthens nails and is well worth the cost. The smell reminds me somewhat of jergens lotion but I love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2009 4:33:00 PM More reviews by krw134

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

During the wintertime, I like give my toenails a break from polish. The only problem is all those months of polish cause my toenails to become very dry and flaky looking - pretty gross. The Nail Board recommended this product and it has worked wonders! After just 2 days my toenails looked about 1,000 times better. I paid around $10 for a nail polish-sized bottle at CVS. I can see the bottle lasting me quite a while, since a little goes a long way. Other reviews have commented about the scent but I don't notice it at all. I would most definitely repurchase when I run out.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2009 9:48:00 AM More reviews by MamaChoobie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is by far the best product I've found. It absorbs very quickly and leaves my nails and cuticles looking well-groomed. I have extremely dry hands and nails, which are getting more so as I age (52). Solar Oil makes them feel moisturized and comfortable. I've had my bottle for over a year, and there's plenty left before I need to re-purchase (you bet I will!).

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2009 12:04:00 AM More reviews by jaqi16

I bought this to help soften my cuticles. It does have a strong smell which is alright. I don't think this works any better than vitamin E, olive oil, or many others so for the price I will not repurchase.

UPDATE: I found myself using this more often. I found it for less money, so I may repurchase. It does seem to last a long time as you only need a little bit.

UPDATE: Just tried the solar balm, and I like that better since it's more portable.

I definitely will not be repurchasing this, for a good cuticle oil try Haken (found at Sally's Beauty), it's less expensive, smells (there are different scents to choose from) and works better.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/19/2008 3:39:00 PM More reviews by ReenBean

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

I think Solar Oil does what it is suppose to do as I notice I do not get hang nails when I apply regularly. However, I donít like how it leaves my fingers oily which means everything I touch gets greasy as it doesnít sink in fast enough for me. Iím using up my current bottle by stashing it in my handbag and applying it when my hands are free and I canít do anything else (i.e. on the tube/train etcÖ) but will not re-purchase when its finished.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2008 1:46:00 PM More reviews by RtiQlitQT

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

First, please read this information mostly derived from hooked-on-nails.com: Brittle, splitting, peeling nails are characterized by a vertical or horizontal splitting or separation of the nail plate layers at the distal (free) edge of the nail plate. In most cases, nail splitting and vertical ridges are characteristic of the natural aging process. This nail problem is also the result of overexposure to water and chemical solvents such as household cleaning solutions. As we age, the nail bed's natural flow of oils and moisture is greatly reduced. This oil and moisture is the cement that holds the nail plate layers together and gives the plate its inherent flexibility. As a preventative measure, or at the first signs of splitting or peeling, recondition the nail plate layers with a good quality cuticle and nail oil that contains JOJOBA and VITAMIN E (TOCOPHERYL ACETATE) as two of its botanical oils. Jojoba oil has a very tiny molecular structure which can penetrate the nail plate surface, open up the layers and draw the Vitamin E in after it. The molecular structure of Vitamin E is too large to penetrate the nail plate layers or the surface layer of the skin without the benefits of Jojoba oil. You should oil your nail plates and surrounding cuticles at least twice daily; more if you have your hands in water a lot. Wear gloves whenever working with household cleaning solutions, and remember: water is considered the 'universal solvent', and is indeed a 'chemical'.

Solar Oil contains both essential ingredients, Jojoba and Vitamin E, and is therefore a great product to use for conditioning and rehydrating your nailplates and cuticles. As others have stated, it comes in a couple of different sized nail polish like bottles with brush caps.

Brush a small amount of it on your cuticles and nailplates and then massage it in, at least twice a day. This is an oil, so it never dries, but it does absorb pretty quickly. If greasiness is a problem for you, wipe gently with some tissue after allowing some time for it to absorb. You don't need much at all, and a small bottle will last a very long time. (Applying twice a day, I've had mine for three months and it still has a third of it left.) As others have stated, it has a strong almond or marzipan scent. I also wish this product came in an unleakable pen form and I also warn that this product should not be stored on its side due to its propensity for leakage. It should be noted that it is a good nail polish drying oil, too.

I do wish this product had some soybean oil in it because of the following information from nsrl.uiuc.edu: "Soybeans contain all three of the macro-nutrients required for good nutrition: complete protein, carbohydrate and fat, as well as vitamins and minerals, including calcium, folic acid and iron. Soybeans are the only common plant food that contain complete protein. Soybean protein provides all the essential amino acids in the amounts needed for human health. The amino acid profile of soy protein is nearly equivalent in quality to meat, milk and egg protein.'' Essie Apricot Cuticle Oil contains soybean oil and Vitamin E but not the essential carrier oil, Jojoba oil.

Personally, I feel that this is not the only product that should be used, but it is the first product that should be applied in a combination regimen. I follow up with Creative Nail Design's Cuticle Eraser since this product contains AHA's that help to soften and break down excess cuticle on the nailplate base and edges, which is a problem for me. If not using Cuticle Eraser, I would suggest following this up with a tiny amount of some other cuticle balm such as Lush Lemony Flutter or Qtica Cuticle Balm.

Ingredients: Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Simmondsia Chinesis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Oil, Fragrance (Parfum), Tocopheryl Acetate.

30 out of 30 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No