November 22, 2014 | 952 users online

Powder - Stila - Illuminating Powder Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2008 7:21:00 PM More reviews by dlbd2k06

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this foundation! I used powder foundations for several years, then got more into liquids. Recently I got a MAC Studio Fix which had been one of my favorites and it seemed kind of heavy and muddy looking even when I applied it lightly with a brush. So I got this foundation and I love it! I apply it lightly with MAC 150 Large Powder Brush. It gives light slightly glowy coverage for a natural look that evens out my skintone perfectly. The only downside is that the compact is sold seperately. Since I plan on buying again its not a big deal though. Also the compact is really cute!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/9/2008 11:04:00 AM More reviews by ksteimle

I tried this and had to take it back - my face got terribly itchy as soon as I put it on!

The 10 watt color was lovely on me, though...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2008 2:45:00 AM More reviews by marsqurine

I love this foundation :) A refill retails for US$26 for a 10g pan, and the casing retails for US$14 for the empty compact, hence it costs US$40 for the whole foundation :) The description on the website reads "Let your inner radiance shine through with this unique, all-in-one powder foundation. Infused with Mica, tiny crystals found in nature, this unique formula helps reflect light for luminous skin that looks fresh and bright. Perfect for all skin types, illuminating powder foundation minimizes skin imperfections while maximizing sun protection with SPF 12 for ageless, timeless skin that simply glows. Apply dry for a light coverage or damp for more complete coverage. Compact sold separately." The colour matches my skin well :) It also has good coverage :) I have acne-prone skin with scars, and it covers them up without looking like a mask, which I love :) This also have good oil control :) I have oily skin, and after I apply this in the morning, I top it up with powder and I am ready to go :) I only need to blot once in the day in the evening and I am set for the whole day :) This is illuminating, as implied in the name :) However, this only contain shimmers which is not OTT, which is great for a daytime look :) If you are bothered by the shimmers, just apply powder over it to tone it down :) I personally love it though :) There is really nothing to complain about other than the price, but I guess if one just buy one compact, it will last you many refills as it is quite sturdy, so it is cost-effective in the long run :) The bottom comportment holding the sponge is rather bulky with holes at the bottom. However, I don't experience much powder falling out and soiling my bag, hence it is not a problem :) Overall, I am quite happy with this foundation, and will definately repurchase :)
active ingredient: titanium dioxide 2.30% ingredients: talc, nylon-12, silica, neopentyl glycol diethylhexanoate, dimethicone, glycerin, polyperfluoromethylisopropyl ether, tocopheryl acetate, butyrospermum parkii (shea butter) unsaponifiables, lauroyl lysine, petrolatum, zeolite, ptfe, zinc stearate, eicosapentaenoic acid, docosahexaenoic acid, magnesium myristate, lauryl alcohol, pca, laureth-3, tetrasodium edta, bht, sorbic acid, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, [+/-(may contain) mica, bismuth oxychloride (ci 77163), titanium dioxide (ci 77891), iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499), ferric ferrocyanide (ci 77510), carmine (ci 75470), chromium oxide greens (ci 77288)] continued >>

rated 1 of 5 on 8/19/2008 1:31:00 PM More reviews by sandyroy01

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The color seemed to match my skin but I feel like it didn't stay on my skin and provided very little coverage. I applied it with a big powder brush so maybe that was the issue. I also didn't like that I had to buy the compact to put the powder in seperately. I guess if I were to continue to use this, it's not that big of a deal in the long run. I'm taking this back to Sephora. I haven't found anything that I like as much as Prescriptives Flawless Skin compact.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2008 9:11:00 AM More reviews by Vaniessa

This product is kinda okay to me and it gives me a natural finish. Buildable coverage and im surprised that the coverage is fine for my acne-prone skin although i apply it with face brush rather than sponge. But somehow i prefer the Liquid version foundation.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2008 11:56:00 PM More reviews by bobsy

Age: Unknown Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

PROS: Unscented, buildable coverage, non-cakey, lovely silky texture, wide range of neutral shades, SPF, long-wearing.
CONS: Expensive RRP in Australia but this can be circumvented by avoiding Mecca Cosmetica. It errs on the side of light coverage, I'd personally like a touch more and then it'd be HG material.
REVIEW:
I've heard so many raves about this over the years but was always dubious that it would work for me, I'm a medium-full coverage gal usually. I need to wear this with concealer at the minimum (currently using Clinique Repairwear fdtn for this purpose), but when I do - wow! I have very dry skin, further exacerbated due to retinoid usage. I thought this would accentuate every flaky area, but it's quite forgiving and looks nice when applied with a large soft powder brush. Not glowy, but I guess there's just enough illuminating stuff in there to stop me looking dry and powdery. Powder foundations can be really nice on dry skin, and they feel so weightless. I bought a refill to try and it's currently being kept in an empty Clinique compact (not a perfect fit, but it suffices). I will repurchase this and the compact as well. I love it! I'm MAC NC15 and wear 10 watts which is a great match for me. The shades are very neutral, so much so that I imagine they could make some people look a bit ashy. In my perfect world it would be a touch warmer (read: yellower), but as it's a true neutral shade at least it's not too pink on me and it's very wearable.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/16/2008 2:18:00 PM More reviews by mz654

I keep trying other foundations, and keep coming back to this one, which I use in 30 watt. My skin can be red and splotchy and when I apply this stuff it just about dissapears. For everyday use I just apply it with the sponge it comes with, but if I'm going out for the evening and am wearing more makeup than usual I like to apply a liquid foundation then use a powder brush and apply as if it were a loose powder, great coverage!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/15/2008 8:24:00 PM More reviews by JettNY

10 Watts is a good color for my extremely pale skin. I'm pleased with the coverage and quality of this powder foundation. It doesn't break me out and it doesn't slide off my face within a few hours. The "illumination" is subtle and very pretty.

But Stila and I need to have a talk. When I pay $26 for .35 ounces of powder foundation, I expect a compact. Now, this lack of compact thing isn't such a big deal when it comes to eye shadows (I love Kitten) because the plastic really is sufficient. But I use powder foundation far more often and sometimes I carry it with me. I don't like spending an additional $14 for a compact because you, Stila, won't supply me with one. If you must charge more for a compact, how's about you change the price of the foundation to, say, $30, heck, even $32. But put it in a compact.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2008 2:09:00 PM More reviews by London84

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this product! I've been using Stila IPF for about 3 years now and I think it's the best powder foundation around. It provides sheer to medium coverage (it depends if you apply it with dry or wet sponge) which is perfect for me as I don't like using cream/liquid foundations everyday. The shade (10 watts) matches my very fair skin tone perfectly and it gives my face a glowy and natural finish, like I have no make up on. It's a bit expensive, but the compact is reusable and it's totally worth it.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/25/2008 7:34:00 AM More reviews by chessablue

I used this for about a month. The colour (10 watts) was fine and the coverage was just right, so I was happy at first. After a couple of weeks, though, my skin looked dull and clogged. This got worse after about 3 weeks and then I got all kinds of bumps and spots. I thought it was stress, so I went to Sephora for a spot treatment. They went through my routine to figure out the source of the spots and the girl helping me said it was the mica in the IPF. So, I switched to Clinique's powder foundation and things started improving right away.

I guess it would be ok for someone less sensitive, but I'd recommend anyone clog-prone to stay away.