April 16, 2014 | 1916 users online

Treatments - Neutrogena - Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Cream

rated 1 of 5 on 11/24/2009 2:52:00 PM More reviews by Mystyre

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought this product because I've been dying to try a retinol, convinced that such a product will solve all my skin issues. I wanted the version without SPF because my skin reacts badly to sunscreen, but I couldn't find it so I bought the SPF version instead. I should've known better.
This product felt nice when I applied it but never seemed to sink into my skin. By the time I washed my face again at night it felt oily and disgusting. I continued using it for a couple of days, thinking maybe my skin just needed to adjust to it, but there were no improvements.
After about 3 days my I started to break out worse than I have in a long time, so I immediately stopped using this product and returned to my Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion (which, ironically, I bought when I couldn't find the night version of the anti-wrinkle cream), which has benefited my skin. This product has been demoted to foot cream.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2009 2:32:00 AM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

- Skip down to 'final consensus' for short summary of overall thoughts on product -
* Check out my notepad to read more about my skin and hair, as well as about products/techniques I currently use! *

What it claims:
"Visibly reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Retinol, the purest form of Vit. A, works deep within the skin's surface where wrinkles develop.
Softens and smooths skin. Contains Pro-Vit. B5 and Vit. E. Formulated with special moisturizers to boots moisture levels for softer, smoother skin.
Won't clog pores. Oil-free formula absorbs quickly and won't clog pores, which can cause breakouts."

Claims - True of False?
1) Visibly reduces appearance of fine lines and wrinkles: True. However, the fine lines I had were not truly wrinkles, but dehydration lines. I am not at an age where my skin has begun showing signs of aging.
2) Soft, smoother skin: True. It's like stroking a baby's butt.
3) No zits: True. It does not seem to contribute to breakouts, and seems to help some. It may, however, contribute to blackheads.
4) Absorbs fast: True. After the product is massaged in thoroughly, on dry or damp skin, I do not feel or see any residue. Despite being a cream, it does not feel or look heavy on my skin.

Packaging:
Like many current Neutrogena products, the aesthetics are quite simple. Which is something I like. It comes in a deceiving box, and the tube itself is made of metal. I can see how this benefits the ingredients themselves, but it hinders the user in a few ways. Also, once you reach the halfway point (or near this point), the metal will start to tear, which will leave the formula exposed slightly and can potentially cause discomfort while using due to sharp edges. Packaging is hygienic, and awkward. The cap is a large, white plastic twist-off cap with a flat surface. This makes for easy storage. Enough labeling to allow you to know whether you want to try it out or not, based on your skin concerns.

Consistency:
Unlike some creams, this product feels quite light. It spreads smoothly, and gives you enough time to properly massage it in the skin before drying. Does not feel oily either. The cream itself is white, very smooth in general. A pleasure to work with. Very little is meant to be used, so it is best to apply it to small areas as opposed to your entire face all at once.

Smell:
For those of you with a sensitive olfactory bulb, rejoice! This cream is virtually scent free. I normally enjoy doing a sniff test, but I have yet to even notice any traces of scent on my hands, or while I am applying it.

Ease of Use:
While it's not going to require a team of scientists to use this product, there are some draw backs that make it difficult. Well, just the one: metal tube. Once you get used to using it though, it gets easier to figure out how to dispense small amounts slowly. It can get slightly annoying though when small edges form due to the metal folding together, but it's nothing that makes using it more difficult. Twist cap is easy to take off and put back on.

Bang for your Buck:
This product is on the expensive side for drug store products, but on the cheaper side for expensive d-s products. To cover the entire face and neck, very little is required, which leads me to think it would last at least 4 months. At 40mL for an average of $16.00, I'd say that it's a decent deal. You can always wait for BOGO's or coupons/discounts anyway and then stock up.

Final Consensus:
For anyone looking to help prevent or soften the signs of aging, or possibly just wanting a smoother, brighter, more even-toned appearance, give this Neutrogena cream a try. While I'm clearly not at an appropriate age to determine its anti-aging capabilities, based on other reviews, the cream seems to work well for older women as well as us younger gals. The product delivers well, and while it may not be as potent as other products you could purchase, I do recommend this. I have recently (August 2010) stopped using skincare products entirely and have reverted to using water alone while showering. I do not know whether I will return to using products again or not, but I am assuming that I won't. Because of this, I will no longer be purchasing this cream. However, because I do like the product, would recommend it to others, and would use it if I were wanting to start using skincare products again, I am leaving the "yes" for "would repurchase" intact.
- Pros: Helped fade acne scarring, did not promote acne and may have helped heal it, brightened up my skin, evened out my skin tone, made skin smoother, nice consistency, no noticeable fragrance, likely to aid with minor signs of aging.
- Cons: Somewhat expensive for the amount you are given, annoying packaging, would leave my skin looking oily most mornings.

Overall Rating: 5/5
Price: 3/5
Packaging Quality: 2/5
Would you buy this product again? Yes.

14 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2009 11:34:00 PM More reviews by ashley92504

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

i love this as a night moisturizer.
I chose this because it was a "Paula's pick" for a retinol product and I'm really liking it so far, there really is no con's to the product.
* its FRAGRANCE FREE!! amazing, love that.
* it is packaged so that the ingredients stay stable.
I don't wake up with a dry feeling face, so it is moisturizing enough.
A little really goes a long way, and this is definitely something i'm gonna keep using at night for as long as it exists. :)

10/07/09- still loving this stuff, but i have noticed that i am more sensitive than before i had started using this.

10/12/09- i stopped using this two days before getting an eyebrow wax, and guess what? my skin came off. I haven't used this product since. I will probably continue to use it 1x a week just to not waste it.
This product truly made my skin insanely sensitive, to the point where my skin came off.

12/08/09- i can now use this almost daily (although i do not) without my skin turning red or getting any major irritation. I think i have passed that retinol beginning phase. I use it almost every night now again, and than stop for a night or two.

2/5/12 I have now upgraded to Alpha Hydrox Retinol Resq

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2009 11:31:00 PM More reviews by zobapa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This stuff is FANTASTIC. Normally I think that skin treatments don't do anything noticeable- and especially not drugstore brands that are only $10. But this product has actually noticeably improved my skin texture and coloring. My skin is glowing and beautiful since I started using this. I will definitely be repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2009 5:40:00 PM More reviews by bananachips

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this stuff! I have freckles and roughness that I'm trying to smooth out and this is helping. It refines my pores and improves discoloration and texture. The only drawback (if it is one) is that it's not the strongest or most potent product out there, but it does provide very noticeable results in a short amount of time, especially considering the reasonable price!! I plan to keep using.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2009 12:07:00 PM More reviews by fancyxamy

im reviewing the version without sunscreen. ive actually been using retin-a on and off for years and purchased this to use on my "off" nights. what a nice surprise it turned out to be!

as others have mentioned, it has a great, light consistency that just sinks right in leaving a smooth, matte canvas. i alternate between using this at night and in the mornings, and for daytime, you really cant beat it as a makeup primer.

while i havent seen any reduction in fine lines, it definitely works at keeping my skin clear, and that alone makes it a worthwhile product for me. it is non-drying on my oily, acne-prone skin and overall does miraculously make my skin feel healthier. theres a reason this stuff gets such good reviews!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2009 9:15:00 PM More reviews by troglodyte

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Fantastic...been using it only 3 days now and all the roughness and uneven tones on my forehead (combination skin) has disappeared...absorbs super well, not greasy, SPF 15, a little goes a long way.
my skin looks amazing already.
the few fine lines between my brows are already plumped up and look half as bad...i worship this cream. I will buy a crate of it next time they get on sale. I never plunked down 20 Canadian$ for some tiny tube of cream before but i'm hooked on this one now.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2009 10:38:00 PM More reviews by KrisHur

My first retinol and I love it. It doesn't make my skin dry or greasy--it's really perfect and WORKS.

I've seen a noticible improvement in the "brightness" of my skin and it definately has reduced fine lines starting to appear on my forehead and between my eyes. I use it on the crow's foot area but you do have to be very careful not to get it in your eyes.

While effective, the retinol is weak enough that I have not gotten burned when using it during the day.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2009 3:19:00 PM More reviews by Bmw7

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Well, I have used this for a year and can say that it keeps the problems at bay. I had the usual drying, texture problems of my age group (35-40) and wanted it to look smooth again. That is a thing of the past, also the "crinkly" effect of years of smoking around my mouth is less defined. The night cream works wonders too!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2009 5:22:00 PM More reviews by shetterley

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have two frown lines right between my eyebrows. I have slathered this cream on that particular spot, morning and night. After just two weeks of using this, I can definitely say that those frown lines are less noticeable! I am amazed and will continue using this wonderful product. I have purchased other creams that are far more expensive than this one, and have had little results. This is a great find!