September 23, 2014 | 1417 users online

Eye Makeup Remover - Clinique - Take The Day Off Eye Makeup Remover

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2012 10:53:00 AM More reviews by amandaeclark

I love this stuff. Most effective makeup remover I have used. It is oil based, so you must shake before using. It gently removes all my longwearing liquid or gel eyeliner and those long wearing lip stains. I wear contacts and it does not bother my eyes at all. I use a cotton ball on my upper lid and will hold it there for a couple of seconds to loosen the makeup and gently wipe off (do not tug) and then dip a qtip in it to really get the eyeliner and mascara off my bottom lash line.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/30/2012 3:17:00 AM More reviews by COAS87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I got this in a gift with purchase. It is oil based, which you can tell as the product separates in the bottle. It effectively removes makeup, but is oil based, so if you get some in your eye, like I did, it burns!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got the solvent type instead, and prefer it to this one! the packaging however, is good, is child proof cap as I remember and is clear enough to see how much is left. it is completely up to what you prefer to use, but I opinionly do not

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2012 1:24:00 AM More reviews by Jillydearest

Love love love this. Received a travel size for free with purchase of the Even Better Dark Spot Corrector, which I hated, but that's another review..
This stuff works great! Better than any other brand of liquid remover or wipes. I used to use baby oil because it was cheap and worked well, but after having tried this I couldn't ever use baby oil again (unless I completely run out of money). Feels like butter and removes all of my eye makeup in one fell swoop, even my hard-to-remove waterproof mascara. Definitely recommend!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/17/2012 6:46:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

*Update: Edited my overall rating to a 3.5 due to the product's proneness to stinging in my eyes if too much is used (but the product works better with that amount used), and it seems like it's not as gentle/hydrating on my lids as Bi-Facil was. Packaging down to a 3 because the cap doesn't always child-lock back on properly - I wound up spilling some. I would no longer repurchase.

Product's Claims - True or False?
1) Tugless: True
2) Fast removal: True
3) Dissolves hard-to-remove/long-wearing makeup: True
4) Non-irritating: Mostly true
5) Non-stinging: Mostly true

Packaging:
TTDO comes in a transparent purple container, perfectly cylindrical in shape. It has a twist-off child-proof cap and a large opening to dispense product. I love that the opening is so large because it makes getting product out so much easier, but at the same time could be messier if you happen to accidentally drop it while in use. I'm unsure what the current packaging in Bi-Facil is, but I do recall having more issues with dispensing product with it than with TTDO, with the former dispensing more product due to having significantly less control. All the info is listed on the bottle and easy to read. It fits nicely in my hands and the cap feels very secure. My one gripe with the cap is that I can find it difficult to remove sometimes, but I had the same issue with Bi-Facil, and with Aspirin bottles.

Formula:
As with other bi-phase removers, TTDO has two separate layers that require shaking to combine: a silicone (i.e. oily) layer and the water/soap layer. When combined they form a milky and oily liquid. Compared to Bi-Facil the formula separates sooner initially but once it has started its initial separating it can take a day or so to completely separate. The product is truly fragrance-free, which I do love quite a bit. I don't find fragranced items to be particularly irritating around my eyes but it's definitely a safer option in eye products.

Performance:
TTDO is almost identical to Bi-Facil. The only differences in performance I found was that TTDO seems to have an oilier consistency which makes removal a lot easier and I need quite a bit less to remove all the makeup. Its removal capabilities are great and possibly better than Bi-Facil. Although it feels oilier it also feels like a dry oil as opposed to slimy. If pressed/blotted into the skin is causes the makeup to flake off and adhere to the cotton, and if wiped/rub it smears the makeup around a bit. In both cases it rinses off completely (update: while it feels like it rinses off there's a chance that something gets left behind and that was causing issues for my skin). I've tried using it with cotton rounds and with q-tips and I find that both work really well, but the latter is a bit nicer as it doesn't require me to wipe at my eye and I feel like I might use less product overall. If using a q-tip I dip it in and then turn the q-tip around over my eye and gently sweep on the undereye, pressing it into the lashes a bit, then rub it all with my finger until mascara is broken down and rinse off. Whichever method I use I discovered that the key to using it successfully is to use minimal wiping and minimal rinsing - even though it feels heavy and oily on my skin if I only splash the eye 2-3 times and then pat dry I feel no residue and all makeup is rinsed off, without getting any dryness or tightness like I was getting sometimes (if used more than once in a day though it will start making the area tight). It removes all of my makeup, but sometimes I still have a few glitters if my makeup was very glittery, which doesn't bother me. Sometimes it can sting my eyes and definitely causes blurring. If over-rinsed my eyes will look kind of oily in the AM but not so when I use it as I've mentioned.

Bang for Your Buck:
TTDO was $22CAD for 4.2oz, which is almost $15 cheaper than Bi-Facil for the same amount of product, and I get the same results from both. Bi-Facil usually lasted me ~6 months of almost-daily use and usually minimal to no use during holidays/summer, so I expect the same or better from TDDO.

Final Thoughts:
I initially quite enjoyed this remover, but it wasn't without some drawbacks. Now that I've gone to another means of removing my makeup I can see that this was either drying me out as-is or was leaving a residue that was subsequently drying my skin out. Overall I would not repurchase, but if you are a fan of Bi-Facil I'd recommend giving this a shot because they are very similar (it seems that Clinique just utilizes some ingredients that do not agree with my skin overall).
* Overall Rating: 3.5/5
* Price: 2.5/5
* Packaging Quality: 3/5
* Repurchase: No

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2012 10:29:00 PM More reviews by Zandra

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

HG! You know when you have a late night out and have false lashes, layers of mascara and lots of touch ups? Use this, and with no effort, the waterproof makeup and the lip gloss slides off.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2012 1:49:00 PM More reviews by sweetiesweetie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

This cleans really well. I honestly do think it leaves a greasy feel (but it goes away)

I don't wear mascara so I don't know how it works, but it's really gentle with eye makeup. I don't have to rub too hard, which is nice. I suggest using square cotton pads rather than cotton balls because they saturate well with only a bit of product.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2012 2:14:00 PM More reviews by prettyseaeagle

Does what it claims to do. I like that it is able to remove waterproof eye makeup in a jiffy and yet remains gentle on the eyes. Great for people with sensitive eyelids.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/28/2012 3:54:00 PM More reviews by PhatMuffin

Best make up remover I've ever tried. So gentle and removes all eye makeup in one swipe! The elegant bottle is also a plus. Would buy again!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/4/2012 8:26:00 PM More reviews by poppyplastic

The product itself is very good, but it is overpriced, as with a lot of cosmetics and skincare. That is why I gave it 4/5.

It literally removes eyeshadow instantly, and removes all eyeliners with almost as much ease. Mascaras take a bit more work, but it is the most effective eye makeup removing product I've used; it is much gentler than the rubbing required of face wipes.

It is oil-based - this is generally a good thing because 1) it allows more lubrication and so less damage for delicate eeye skin and 2) oil based products lift makeup much easier than oil-free ones. I usually use the product before washing my face so the residue isn't such an issue; however on nights out where I barely manage to remove my makeup, I be grateful of the moisturisation (I'm assuming the oil isn't bad for eye contour skin, however I am not an expert so cannot reinforce this!).

Overall, I really like this product and would repurchase. I gave the packaging 5/5 because it's probably the only oily product I own that does not leak when I travel! I gave the price 3/5 because, whilst it is expensive, at least you're getting a high quality product!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2012 8:52:00 PM More reviews by DieMyDarling

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I don't wear waterproof eye makeup, so I can't review it for that, but I do wear eye makeup almost all of the time (sometimes very heavy liquid liner and mascara) and this product removes both eyes with zero makeup residue and no burning/stinging.
If you shake the bottle a few times and use a one side textured, one side smooth cotton round pad, use the the textured side then smooth to clean up any details left behind. It's very fast and effective for removing a ton of product!
Maybe I just don't use as much remover as other readers, but i don't ever have oily residue. I leave the edges of my round cotton pad dry so when i wipe it takes it all...maybe it's just technique/applicator that's causing unwanted results?