October 25, 2014 | 1665 users online

Sunscreen - Shiseido - Ultimate Sun Protection Cream SPF 55 PA+++ [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2009 11:48:00 PM More reviews by traceyadwl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is a great sunscreen; it does everything itís supposed to do and keeps my face from getting oily throughout the day! Be careful when wearing this with an SPF foundation; one time I did and, at the end of the day, I had a white, greasy mask-like film on my face. As you've probably guessed, I wonít be mixing the two again.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/7/2009 11:58:00 AM More reviews by happymonkey

My main problem with this sunblock is the strong perfume/chemical smell. Unfortunately the smell does not fade through the day. I'm wondering if some bottles have more fragrance than others because I had a sample of this and I don't remember the smell.

Otherwise, if you are able to tolerate the smell, this would be a nice sunblock. It doesn't feel any greasier than most sunblocks and gives your skin a light but not ridiculous white cast.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2009 11:23:00 PM More reviews by mica8999

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My HG of all sunscreens! On my 5th tub now. Have been trying a lot of other brands out of sheer boredom and just to break the monotony a bit but this is still the best out there! Just for the record, tried Laneige Long Lasting SPF 50 (very shiny and greasy), Lancome with Meroxyl SPF 50 (average), Obagi C RX SPF 30 (good for days when I'm not out in the sun too much, I stay in the tropics and it can get really HOT here), and Neutrogena Sheer Sunblock SPF 50 (cringed when I used it on my face due to the strong chemical smell), plus some other brands. Matte finish, non greasy, non shiny and non drying. Lasted through vigorous tennis too, without it coming off in white creamy rivulets down my face. Doesn't come off in "balls" when I put my Laura Mercier mineral powder over it like the Obagi would. Come to think off it, why did I ever bother trying other brands in the first place? Oh yeah, I was bored of this good old faithful reliable sunscreen that never fail to deliver :)

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2009 6:46:00 PM More reviews by tootswoots

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

So i bought this after reading some really good reviews. I do like it a lot. I use it after my face cream and i rub it in pretty well. I haven't found any balling or streaking.. I don't use a TON though.. Maybe if i did, i would have more probs. It does work well for protection though. I've been using it this summer everyda and i my face is much lighter than my body (kinda weird) but i don't have any new spots or discolorations. i would buy again. Doesn't make me break out or have any weirdness. Leaves my face feeling really soft too.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/6/2009 3:09:00 AM More reviews by spervez85

I read and heard great feedback on this product and, unfortunately, bought it before sampling and I do regret my decision.

It does go on white but I think the whiteness fades away in a few minutes. It makes my face very dry even though I have combination skin and I use jojoba oil as a moisturizer before patting sunscreen on. I hate the dry finish it gives to my face.

It's water-resistant and is supposed to stay on if you have contact with water and it does fulfill that promise. However, it left my face with streaks when one day I went out in light rain without any umbrella. Needless to say that I ended up looking like a freak.

I will go through this one tube but shall never buy it.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/10/2009 6:36:00 PM More reviews by tthurmond

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Okay, I just started using this five days ago, not counting the sample of it I used over a year ago.

On my first day I noticed my foundation didn't go on very smoothly and also by midday, my face looked dry and in need of moisture. I thought about what other reviewers had said about this product and, so, decided i should add a more moisturizing product to my regimen. Note: on the first day, I had applied Derma E Hyaluronic Serum before applying the Shiseido.

Next day, after applying the Derma E Serum, I also applied Cerave moisturizing lotion (a sample from my dermatologist that i recalled to be pretty good at hydrating without feeling heavy or oily). This time my make up went on a lot smoother and later my face did not look dry. I have enough of the sample to last me a few more days, and I plan to get a bottle of the Cerave this weekend, which i've read does some amazing things for the skin and does not clog pores or contribute to acne.

It's only been five days but things are looking well. I am no longer using a primer because the Shiseido Sun Protection lotion is holding my makeup pretty well and with a lot less shine than when I used the primer (Tarte Clean Slate). I now probably pat my face once or twice a day instead of 3 to 5 times, and acutally the amount of shine is much less than before.

From one oily, acne prone, Retin A using girl: I say this is great!
    ***I will provide an update on my experience within a month***

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2009 6:20:00 PM More reviews by chandarae

This is by far my favorite sunscreen for my face. I've been using it for the past 3 years and will not stray from this again. I have not been able to find anything else with a high spf that doesn't feel oily after it's been applied. I use a pea sized amount for my face and just a little more for my neck and decollete. It absorbs quickly and does not leave my face sticky. I usually skip a primer and put my makeup right over this. Will keep on buying for sure.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2009 1:29:00 PM More reviews by lathibad

Wow! What a great sunscreen for your face. Being as expensive as it is, it better be great though. I am comparing this product to Neutrogena Ultra-Sheer Sunblock, which I still use for my neck, chest, and hands. I really liked Neutrogena, but my face started to feel oily, and even with a primer, my makeup did not set very well. Since I wear sunscreen everyday, I need something I really like. So, I switched to something more makeup friendly. Let me say that I do have very oily skin and am prone to breakouts. This product makes my skin look completely matte. No shine at all. Also, it has not caused any breakouts. My makeup sets beautifully, and I have not experienced any oilyness or dryness. Keeps my skin balanced looking. I can also use this under my eyes with no adverse side effects. That being said, this is my favorite sunblock, and one that I will keep buying for years to come.

Update (6/7/2011): I am still using this sunblock! That's how awesome it is. I use it every single day and have never been sunburned. That includes days where I am out in the sun all day long. It also has still never broken me out. My HG sunscreen.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2009 3:06:00 AM More reviews by desertmom4

I am sad :( After hearing/ reading all the rave reviews for this s/s on the boards, I decided to buy it. I was looking for a s/s that was effective and was waterproof. It worked gr8 4 me for the 1st week, then I noticed my face began to feel dry and my m/u looked cakey. I do have normal/dry skin, and am not prone to breaking out that easy, but I was also noticing a few new zits along the jawline after I started using this product. I did use a cleansing oil to remove this s/s, as I use one regardless for my m/u, so I know I was removing it from my face daily. For the one week I did use it, it did seem to sink into my skin quickly, as well as it left my skin semi-matte. My m/u went on gr8 and stayed put all day long. I also did not notice a white-ish cast as some s/s leave and the scent was almost non-existent. Overall this is a good product, but not for me. So if you are dry, stay away. I switched to La Roche Posay SPF 60 Celloplex ( something like that) for now. So far, so good, as I feel hydrated and it wears gr8 under m/u too. Sorry Shiseido, I will not be repurchasing.

**EDIT** 5/07/10

Just purchased the SPF 60 / PA+++ lotion! It is so much better for ppl w/ dry / normal skin. Feels light, as well as doesn't dry me out...maybe cause it's not as mattifying, but that's ok as now I can finally use this gr8 product and reap the benefits ;)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2009 10:22:00 PM More reviews by AbigailE

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Let me first just say that I burn very easily! A product like this is a godsend: a sunscreen for my face that dries almost instantly and does not clog my pores. It does not feel greasy like other sunscreens. In fact, when I wear this, my normally oily t-zone remains shine free for several hours. Pricey, but worth it. Will buy again! :)