November 21, 2014 | 1761 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Russian Red

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2013 10:40:00 AM More reviews by anastacy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am not a fan of red l/s or bright shades in general. I often want to experiment with these shades but find them intimidating. I would purchase cheap bright shades by Revlon or L.A Girl but I was just wasting my money because no one is there to advise you when you purchase them. You get the total hit or miss all on your own.

I decided to just go the the MAC outlet and ask for a red shade that would work for my skin tone (NW45 for Ref). The salesperson recommended either Russian Red or MAC Red. But she said that Russian Red is matte and it would look better on me. And I must say it looks great.

It is a powerful true red l/s not leaning on too much orange or blue. It stays put for hours without drying. If you are not used to wearing reds the last thing you need to worry about is bleeding and it smearing all over your face.

This shade just lit up my face. I did my regular foundation routine (with lighter blush) and minimal eye make up (black e/l and mascara) and my skin appeared much clearer and luminous than if I paired the same routine with a different lip.

This looks great if you wear your hair up or have bangs.

I always thought that it would be better to spend more on your everyday l/s and less on the adventurous ones. Wrong! At the end of the day we all want to look our best and it does not make sense looking in sale bin for something you are more not to use when you could spend a little more but thoroughly enjoy what you bought because you are certain it looks great on you.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2013 6:10:00 PM More reviews by NoirAngelx

I'm not sure what else could be said about this legendary lipstick, but it is absolutely necessary for EVERY red lipstick lover to own this. I usually stick to my trusty Chanel reds, but they require a lot of maintenance due to their creamy texture. Russian Red is the ultimate blue-based ruby red, it just lights up your whole face and would look good on any skintone. Plus it lasts for hours, and when paired with a lipliner (I use Cherry or Trust in Red lip pencil), this stuff ain't goin' nowhere. The matte texture can be a bit drying, but if you exfoliate your lips beforehand and put a bit of lip balm, it shouldn't be a problem. In comparison to Ruby Woo, Russian Red is hydration land, and the color is a wee bit darker and not as bright. Russian Red is my power woman lipstick, I wear it when I need to be most confident, and to look and feel beautiful. If you don't like MAC lipstick formulations, Giorgio Armani Rouge d'Armani in 400 is very similar.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/2/2013 4:54:00 PM More reviews by ivettg

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

If you want a beautiful red lipstick, Russian Red should be high up on your list.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2013 6:53:00 PM More reviews by linerfreakxx7

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My favorite red lipstick! I bought this on vacation and it is so beautiful! I actually thought it would be too intense for me, but I wore it out twice and got nothing but compliments! And it lasted the whole time I was out! So matte, so pigmented, with true lasting power. My mom was shocked at how well it stayed on. Red lipstick fans, buy this!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2013 11:40:00 PM More reviews by Squeakypops

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Perfect. Just perfect.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2013 5:56:00 AM More reviews by smokefumes

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I love the way this looks on my skin tone! This is an amazing colour that will flatter anyone due to the blue undertones (which make your teeth look whiter) I did find the lipstick to be drying throughout the day. I have naturally quite dry chapped lips, so as long as you remember a really good lip balm and a lip scrub before you apply this, it will last all day!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2013 2:42:00 PM More reviews by twenty6twelve

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I gave this product a 5/5 because of the color, it's a beautiful red with blue undertones which is very flattering for everyone as blue undertones make your teeth look whiter. It is the matte formula which can be quite drying yet not as drying as their retro matte formula (ruby woo), so I suggest you to apply some moisturizing lip balm before applying it to your lips. But this is my favorite red lipstick of all time and it's almost a necessity to have in your make up collection, so if you're looking for a matte red lipstick this is the lipstick for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2013 9:23:00 AM More reviews by izzaphilia

My HG red lipstick. I wear lip balm underneath it, because it can be drying after a long wear. Russian Red suits me better, which is what I chose over Ruby Woo. I also don't have to swipe on too much because it is highly pigmented.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2013 6:23:00 PM More reviews by melinichole

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Was one of my first MAC lippies many years ago and is still my favorite. Perfect blue based red lipstick. I love that its a matte finish and the lasting power is perf! This is my HG red lipstick and that will never change...I have tried many but none compare to russian red. I still have my LE wonder woman russian red in its packaging for my collection. I have went through so many russian reds its ridiculous lol

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2013 9:01:00 PM More reviews by mrszombabe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a beautiful blue based red.
It's matte, so it is kind of drying. I would suggest exfoliating your lips and making sure they are conditioned well before using this. I also think a lip liner is needed to get a really defined and perfect red lip. This is PERFECT for anyone who's into the rockabilly/pinup look.
If you're looking for a cheaper option that is similar I would suggest revlons matte lipstick in 'Really red'