April 17, 2014 | 1197 users online

Moisturizers - Olay - Total Effects-Fragrance Free

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2009 12:16:00 PM More reviews by Rehaam

I'm surprised by all the negative reviews of this product because it is absolutely my HG! This leaves me with NO dry patches after I cleanse and/or exfoliate. It hydrates my skin and leaves it SILKY smooth and absorbs SUPER fast. It does not leave me greasy or skicky. It doesn't leave a greasy layer on my skin. It doesn't break me out. It has absolutely no fragrance as well and a little goes quite a way. It's exactly what I need in a moisturizer with my combo 20something skin

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2009 4:04:00 AM More reviews by xlana

This is my first review on Makeup Alley, and I've only come out of my shell to review this product because it is truly amazing.

I'm only 22, but I decided to start early in the anti-aging cream department after seeing smile and brow lines forming on my face. I got this on sale for $17.99 and I liked it primarily because it was fragrance free and because I took the quiz on Oil of Olay's site and it recommended the Total Effects line for me.

This stuff is AMAZING. For one, it truly is fragrance free. It looks super thick, but absorbs lightning fast leaving no greasy residue whatsoever (I have normal combination oily skin). My skin also feels hydrated but not drenched.

It's been about 2 weeks since I've started using it and the results are already visible. Smoother, more even toned, and plumper skin. I don't even see the fine lines anymore when I put on my powder makeup. And the best thing is that it helped fade my post acne scars which is a miracle because they've been there for as long as I can remember.

This is a great product for younger women who are just starting out with preventative creams. I don't see this working well on older women who's primary concern is anti-wrinkle as this is not an anti-wrinkle cream.The only con I can see is that you need quite a bit. I have a small face, and a 1.7oz cream usually lasts me 3-4 months at least. I have a feeling with the amount I'm using I'll run out in about 2 or 3.

In conclusion, GREAT product. Dare I say it will become my HG moisturizer? I will definitely be buying again and looking into other Oil of Olay products as well!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2008 8:49:00 PM More reviews by pupster

This is for the regular non UV version not the fragrance free one.
First off, I find all Olay products seem to have a really unpleasant chemical masking fragrance type of odor, not sure if that's just me.
The bottle is very bulky for containing such a small amount of product. I also had a hard time opening all the plastic modern-looking packaging around it which is not exactly earth friendly.
Looking at the reviews, this seems like an ok moisturizer for younger women, but for mature women with aging and dryness issues, this one does not cut it. Although it is not moisturizing enough, it still seems to cause break outs. After a few days and nights of use, my face felt like it had a waxy coating that is very hard to remove. Although they claim it is non comodogenic, I think some of the ingredients do cause blocked pores - dimethicone for one.
Sticking to my Clinique DDML, not HG but it seems to be the best I have found in this price range.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2008 3:38:00 PM More reviews by ekym

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love this moisturizer for nighttime! My skin has changed, and even though itís still oily and prone to break-outs, Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel (which is oil-free) has becomes not moisturizing enough, leaving my skin tight and Mario Badescu Seaweed Night Cream (also oil-free) was too rich and felt greasy on the skin, taking too long to absorb. So I decided to try this cream. The texture feels rich in my hands, but it absorbs so fast and feels so light! I was pleasantly surprised. My skin felt soft and perfectly moisturized, supple, but matte and smooth. Itís also very soothing to my skin if it feels tight or irritated. I like fragrance-free formulas, so that is a plus and it does not clog my pores. I havenít noticed any anti-aging effects Ė as Iím 25, but the ingredients will hopefully keep wrinkles and loss of firmness at bay. I also like that it comes in a pump, which makes it easier for travel (so long as I donít lose the cap, which is a sturdy plastic, not flimsy). I will definitely buy this again and again.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/26/2008 10:17:00 AM More reviews by tatornish

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I just started using this a week ago so i can't be sure on how well it really works. It says it's antiaging, but i'm not really using it to see results for that. I just wanted a good moisterizer that wouldn't break me out! I have dry (especially now that it is winter) acne prone skin and i just started using moisterizers! I was always scared to use them because of breakouts. But now that i am getting older( i am 24) i realize i should be moisterizing. I tried aveeno ultraming night cream and dermalogicas skin smoothing cream and i believe they DID make me breakout. Though, they both were creams which tend to be heavier. This olay moisterizer seems to be perfect. Since i have dry skin it could be a little more moisterizing but it does sink it perfectly and doesn;t make my face greasy at all. I think it would be great for the summer as well. So far i haven't noticed any breakouts (knock on wood) . Maybe a few on my forehead, but i just got my hair done and they did a conditioning treatment so i think that may be the cause. Anyway i really like it. I will update if any negative effects happen. Try it, it's oil free and really is fast absorbing! Especially if you have dry breakout prone skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2008 12:45:00 PM More reviews by stephanierose21

i have been using this moisturizer for several years, i have tried others but always come back to this one. i notice a significant change in the plumpness and smoothness of my skin as soon as i put it on. it's best for me in the winter, sometimes a little too greasy in the t-zone when i use it in the summer. it's very smooth and nice under make-up. i prefer the fragrance-free version as my skin can be a little sensitive. i have used the version with SPF 15 but prefer to instead use this version without SPF and add my own sunscreen over top of the moisturizer.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2008 6:48:00 PM More reviews by PaulaBenoit

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to like this moisturizer. I decided to try it because my skin seemed to be getting drier with the change in climate. I initially loved it for the first 3 days until I started breaking out. I went back to using Olay's Anti Blemish Moisturizer until the breakout cleared and then I decided to try this cream again. Again after a couple days of use I had a big fat zit on my face. So sadly this product is not for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2008 12:05:00 PM More reviews by fancyxamy

my experience with this product is good, but not stellar or dramatic by any means. i use it at night, only on dry spots, and it seems to do a good job of moisturizing those areas.

the major plus for me, is that it doesnt break me out. i also like that it has antioxidents and is fragrance free. thats about it though. it makes a lot of hefty claims like shrinking the appearance of pores and tightening skin but i see no evidence of any of that. to me, its just a very basic moisturizer.

update: i initially said i would not purchase this again, but im back to say that i will and that i did not give this product enough credit the first time around! this moisturizer definitely doesnt break me out, sinks in super fast, really does hydrate and works great under make-up. there are no drawbacks! and i do see an improvement in my skin when i wear it. ive been wearing it this winter and have had no excessive dryness or tightness. recommended!

update 2/26/09: ok im back to say that i HAVE repurchased this and that it is my HG moisturizer. i was out of it for a few weeks and used cerave lotion in its place at night. when i woke up, i had little creases under my eyes and my skin did not feel as hydrated and smooth as it does when i use the total effects. i also use bp at night so i need a moisturizer to simply provide , er, moisturization and not exfoliate or do any other crazy stuff which will just dry me out, and this stuff delivers.

im surprised by all the bad reviews. in my opinion it has a lovely, rich feeling texture that sinks in quickly, provides both instant and long term hydration, plumps up my skin and leaves it feeling soft and healthy, and is oil-free and does not cause breakouts. love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2008 11:54:00 PM More reviews by CookieStop

This is my absolute favourite moisturiser of all time. It feels light on the skin and leaves your skin feeling soft and supple. It doesn't feel oily and great for those with combination/acne prone skin. Use each time after you cleanse your face.. Although it can be a little pricey for a drugstore brand, it's definitely worth it! I tend to stock up everytime it comes on sale. Couldn't live without it!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/19/2008 11:03:00 AM More reviews by artemis513

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

I chose that I would not buy this product again, but honestly, I don't really know if I would yet. I bought this as a recommendation from Dr. Baumann's book (I'm an OSPT) for a night cream and b/c the ingredients in it are BOSS, but it's really thick if you have normal to oily/slightly oily skin like me. A little does go a long way. I put this to the side for now until I use up Murad's Perfecting Lotion (which I love!) and I'm hoping I can figure out how to make the Olay work for me since it's cheaper and has just as good ingredients as the Murad. Will update when I can.

Oh, and yes it's mad expensive for a ds product. ($18.95)