Dior Hypnotic Poison

on 4/4/2012 7:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Smells like play-dough.Certain people love to wear the hell outta this to many peoples misfortune.

on 3/30/2012 7:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

One-shot review from an in-store tester:

Top note: very strong teaberry (traditional bubblegum smell, if you can imagine it without sugar).

Middle notes: teaberry, woods, vanilla, musk, and something that smells like...dirty laundry. But creamy, and strong.

Base notes: pleasant vanilla musk.

Overall: this fragrance really didn't work with my chemistry. The top and middle stages were both very strong, and a bit unpleasant. I felt a bit nauseous when I was driving around after spraying the tester. After about 45 minutes, it was OK, but I really feel I could get the effect of the base notes in a Body Fantasies spray for a lot less money and without the unfortunate drydown. If you have problems with "dirty laundry" notes in fragrances, avoid this, because the culprit is strong in this one. (No, I don't know what ingredient causes it).

on 3/29/2012 11:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I've been wearing Hypnotic Poison on-and-off for about eight years. This is the one perfume that has stayed in my collection and rotation for one reason - it smells amazing.

To me, Hypnotic Poison smells like spicy vanilla. Even though it's very vanilla-y, it's not an immature or overpowering vanilla. It's very sophisticated and warm. Despite it being more on the warm side, it is definitely wearable in the spring and summer months. The scent also lasts and lasts. As much as I adore Hypnotic Poison, it's one of those perfumes that I only reach for once in a blue moon mainly because I have a collection of perfumes that I like to rotate so I don't get bored. Even though I only wear this occasionally, I still get compliments on it. Considering I'm on my second bottle, I would likely buy this again because, for me, this is just a classic scent.

on 3/29/2012 10:43:00 PM

I've been wearing this scent since it first appeared on the market. I've tried others . . .most recently Vera Want Princess Night, which is also a little heady with the vanilla, but always go back to my HP. I've accepted the fact that it is and will forever be my signature scent. LOVE it.

I've never really been into perfume but I LOVE this... I always get tons of compliments. To me this scent is sweet but also daring and sultry. Will definitely buy again when I run out.

on 3/28/2012 3:35:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

A fragrance that would suit both men and women. I read that they reformulated this and put it in a different bottle.. I have the original n plan on stocking up (lots of places have slow turnOver rates). It's so warm and pretty. Very pleasant. I get told 'you smell so good' when i wear it. It would make a good gift for gourmand lovers. It has a nice bitter smokiness that balances the sweetness.
P.S. There's a beautifully eloquent and detailed review of this by someone called nopasho on fragrantica.com. He/she explains all the different contrasts and the general feel of HP so well!

on 3/6/2012 10:41:00 AM

Would definitely repurchase this product, even though I'm looking forward for another chance of getting it tax-free since it is pretty expensive for a student budget (wouldnt really call it overpriced). It smells really elegant, and it makes me feel dressed up even though i normally wear t-shirt. I dont like strong perfumes and this is not considered as one, ive received quite a lot of compliments wearing this. lasts throughout the entire day. and even months on the same scarf that hasnt been washed for ages :P

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is my holy grail of fragrances. I have weird body chemistry and this really is lovely on me. It starts out with a sharp note surrounded by a little vanilla, sugar and woods. The vanilla is unusual, creamy and dreamy. It almost is slightly root beer, slightly play dough for a short time. Then, it's more vanilla, sugars, waffle cones the bitter note.
This is pretty yet with a wicked side. It's very fairy tale and the bottle nicely suits the scent. It's red and kind of looks like a gothic apple.
This is not for a sweet innocent type of person. It's more for a bold woman or the edgy type.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This is the only perfume I use regularly since I discovered it when I was 16. This girl I knew always smelled so awesome, and I asked her what it was - it was Hypnotic Poison.

I ordered myself a bottle and fell in love. On her, it smelled delicate, pretty, and baby powder like with a hint of vanilla.

On me, it smells sultry and warm and sexy. I really pull up vanilla from my fragrances, but this doesn't smell at all "foodlike" on me, despite the dominating bitter almond and vanilla notes. It's just intoxicating. My husband absolutely LOVES it.

I'm very, very picky about fragrances. Florals smell very "grandma" to me and I really can't stand smelling like a cheap dessert all the time (which is pretty much what I get with every single "celebrity" designed perfume I've sampled). HP is so classy, sexy, mysterious, elegant, and strong, but not overwhelming. It's such a unique fragrance - feminine, without being pungent or cloying. The scent is just...smooth and luscious. People will want to know what you're wearing when they smell this on you.

on 12/27/2011 3:12:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

The other day I sprayed on Pure Poison and loved it but saw reviews that said this one was much better..WRONG-O! This is absolutely horrible, made me literally sick to my stomach! I think I washed my hand, where I'd sprayed it on, least a dozen times but still smelled it until I finally washed it with some tub cleaner that finally knocked out the ODOR! Do not buy this unsprayed because apparently it had a bad reaction on ME! UGH!

Popular Fragrances