August 23, 2014 | 1437 users online

Highlighters - Christian Dior - Skinflash

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2008 1:58:00 PM More reviews by rayoflight

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Before I bought Skinflash I tried similar products from Ysl, Lancome, Loreal and this one looked most natural on skin, Lancome was to orange and Ysl, Loreal had too dry and unnatural finish. I was suprised b/c Ysl TE gets very good reviews, but I've seen a few women wearing it and it looks terrible, TE only looks good in photos, but in real life it sucks. Anyway, I got Skinflash in 002 and the color matches my skin tone perfectly. The application is very easy, just twist end a couple of times, brush it on skin and pat in, it leaves a velvet matte finish. I find the coverage is quite adequate, enough to cover dark shadows around eyes and hide redness/small capillaries around my nose. I doubt it alone can cover really dark circles, but from what I understand, it must be used over a standard concealer (like Dior Sculpt Concealer) to to so. I dislike 2 things about it: 1) Skinflash is perfumed! Why would somebody put perfume in a product that is supposed to be used near eyes, is beyond me, but Dior does that to all eye creams so why would an iluminator be any exeption. The perfume in it sometimes makes my eyes water. 2) It doesn't last all day. It's still there after 8-10 hours, but only ~30%. Annoying. Other than that, it is one of the best iluminators and I will buy it again if I can't find something better (the only likely candidate is La Prairie's produt).
Edit: After 2 years I haven't yet found anything better than Skinflash. Best highlighter there is! Even the exxy La Prairie, Chanel, Guerlain suck compared to this one, one of the best Dior products!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2008 12:55:00 PM More reviews by dictatorprincess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I wanted to branch out from YSL so I gave this a shot. I don't have major dark circles and mainly use concealer to even out fine lines and highlight a bit. Skinflash does neither. I can use touche éclat as a concealer but Skinflash- no way. For me, Skinflash is simply a second rate touche éclat. The texture is watery, so color match is not even a big deal because the pigment is so low. I can't tell any difference between wearing this and not wearing this, whereas YSL wakes me up instantly. And yes I understand that this is not meant to be highly pigmented, but again- this has less pigment than similar products in other lines, like LM and YSL. I sadly will not buy again and will go gladly back to YSL. I wish I could say I would just use this around my fine lines, but Skinflash again does nothing. This is my first major dissapointment from Dior and my first major MU dissapointment since trolling the boards. I thought I knew better!
Wish I could have written a more positive reivew for my 200th but oh well.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/3/2008 12:39:00 PM More reviews by dovely

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is not enough for underyes for me, but I use it around my nose or on my eyelids if I am not wearing shadow, and in my "parenthesis" around my mouth to tone down the lines. I don't use foundation, so it is a nice too to put in the shadowy areas. It is expensive, but I use so little at a time I think it will last awhile.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/28/2008 1:07:00 PM More reviews by CaveyRocks

I asked for å good concealer for my dark circles under my eyes, in a perfume / make up store. The woman who worked there, said that this was wonderful, and found a color that was "perfect for my skin". Well... Now I have an expensive "concealer", I am nearly white under my eyes + my dark circles are just as dark as before. Only now everybody looks at them because of my "Panda-eyes"...

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2007 10:42:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

Was on the verge of getting another YSL Touche Eclat pen but decided to try something new, so I managed to procure one of these from eBay for a reasonable-ish price.

First of all, the presentation is great. The product comes in its own little velvet bag--a nice touch since the pen is silver and looks like it'd scratch/smudge easily. I think I prefer the design of this pen to the YSL one--sleek silver rather than gaudy gold. The product itself has a very light, creamy texture (slightly more substantial than Touche Eclat, that is, less watery) with a subtle rose scent. I could definitely do without the latter, especially since I mostly use this around my eyes.

I think the lasting power is better than Touche Eclat. I find that it's still mostly on after a few hours, as opposed to the TE, which will have mostly faded away, even when set with a loose powder (I use Laura Mercier's). It also is not quite as sheer, so it has better coverage and it takes less product and fussing to get a rested look. Of course, the color is very light (a very pale whitened beige, similar to TE #1, but without the slight pinkish tone) and the fluid has light-reflective qualities, so if you use too much, you'll get an unearthly glow around your eyes that'll just make you look worse. So use with some restraint.

Application tip: brush a thin layer of this on the places you need illumination action (usually inner corners and about halfway out along the dark circle area--stop below your eye at a spot that lines up with your pupil). Let it sit on your face for a few seconds (just a few), and then gently tap it with your ring finger to blend. If you need more, repeat. Letting it sit dries out the product slightly and gives somewhat more coverage than if you just slap it on and blend right away. If you have really terrible dark circles, you'll need to use a normal concealer first, then apply this on top in the prescribed manner. Nothing will totally erase your sleeplessness, but this stuff will help minimize the effects.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/11/2007 7:03:00 AM More reviews by fleurr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm still undecided about skinflash....I love the radiant look it gives but i find the coverage is pretty light if it is in fact a concealer.As the salesgirl pointed out to me its not so much a concealer as a radiance boosting pen,which I get.

For a concealer I need something a little heavier to cover up these bags...

Its expensive,but the packaging is great quality.it also smells considerably better than the touche eclat...I think maybe I just need to master exactly how/where to use it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2007 10:01:00 AM More reviews by Gabriel679

I love this product. I had never found a concealer that did so much- highlight, conceal, and generally even out my skin tone- with such a small amount of product and precise application. I have this in Candlelight and I swear it makes me look like I've had 10 hours of sleep every night. It does a great job with redness and dark circles, as well, which I always get due to allergies.
It may seem expensive, especially the first time you purchase, but it's a high-quality product and it's completely worth it. Don't overdo it or it can flake a little, and make sure you blend immediately. For reference, I am a medium brunette with hazel eyes and light-medium skin tone.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/10/2007 4:18:00 AM More reviews by Sarah613

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I think this is ok. I will give it that it doesn't get into fine lines and cake up if you are going to use it as a concealer. However since I have bags along with dark circles (I know great combo :P) I don't really like how my under eye area looks all pearly it makes the bags stand out more.
I guess I'll keep on looking for that "perfect" concealer. This is nice around the nose and on top of cheek bones to highlight, however there are cheaper highlighters out there that can get the job done just as well.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/2/2007 10:34:00 PM More reviews by ciarar

Ordinary concealors just dry and cake under my eyes, especially as I've gotten older. Skinflash is light enough not to dry in a layer like foundation but disguises dark shadows subtley.It seems to reflect light off your skin without being at all shimmery.
It would not however cover spots or blemishes as it's so light in texture and color. Actually it would highlight them! I prefer it to YSL Touche Eclat also. Maybe the color suits my pale skin better (I use #2 in both). And anyway it's cheaper.
Beautiful elegant packaging too.
I've bought several of these and when I've strayed I've never found better.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/11/2007 9:23:00 PM More reviews by Candacetyk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was very pleased w/this product. I use this on needed areas instead of foundation allover. However, if you have serious dark circles or imperfections, it isn't the best concealer. I know it's supposed to be a highlighter, but I use it as a concealer. One gripe I have is that the color slightly turns grayish under my eyes after a long day/night. But it isn't enough so that I would stop using or repurchase this product.