October 23, 2014 | 1907 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - Extra Gentle Cleanser

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2011 2:15:00 PM More reviews by SeedyBiotch

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Having extremely dry skin and dermatitis, especially in the winter has led me to try this cleanser. Let me also preface that I use quite a lot of makeup on a daily basis. This cleanser does a great job at not irritating my skin, it actually feels like it could be good for it. But, like others, it doesn't exactly take off all your makeup, or give you a very "clean feeling". So while I enjoy this cleanser, I interchange it with a stronger makeup removing cleanser (when my skin can handle it) or I simply use eye makeup remover beforehand. I don't have acne, but I'd imagine if you did this one would not be a good idea, seeing as it feels like it leaves a lotion-y film on your skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2011 2:04:00 AM More reviews by cwdouty

I've been using this for about a year and am very pleased. I've used others by Estee Lauder, Bobbi Brown, Murad, Dove soap, to name a few, and this has been the best. It takes off all my makeup (I don't use waterproof mascara) with a little gentle massaging and thorough rinsing, and leaves my face soft and smooth, never tight. My skin is dry in winter but tends toward oily, even at 52, in the warm weather, but this has worked well year round. My local Target and CVS no longer carry it. Oddly, I found it at Nordstrom Rack and buy three or four bottles at a time. It's dirt cheap, like 6 or 7 dollars, so it's nice to find a good product at a good price.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2011 2:20:00 PM More reviews by goopycakes

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

The best of all the drugstore cleansers. I've tried the "gentle" formulas, such as Cetaphil and Purpose, but those brands have nothing on this gem. It is free of detergent and my face feels balanced after using it not tight or anything. I love the creamy texture. I have oily, sensitive, and acne-prone skin and I have not experienced any breakouts and my face is not as oily either. Definitely recommend for all skin types! Also if you do have acne prone skin stop using those acne medicated cleansers they do nothing except make your face dry and tight.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2011 10:45:00 PM More reviews by daram7857

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Amazing moisturizing cream cleanser for dry, sensitive skin. It hydrates your skin and cleanses nicely. The one thing I don't really like about is that it does not say it's oil-free! But definitely recommend it to dry skins

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2011 9:23:00 PM More reviews by ashleydutta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

My skin tends to get dried out with most cleansers so I thought this one may work better for me. However, this cleanser just doesn't clean my skin! after continued use I had more blocked pores and roughness than I have had in years. It is really difficult to remove makeup with this. So far the best way I found was to rub it into my dry face, then wipe with a damp warm washcloth, then rinse with warm water and use the cleanser to wash again, a couple of times. even then though, all my makeup is never gone. I'd say this cleanser is good for someone with super dry sensitive skin who doesn't wear much makeup - for those of us with combination skin who wear a full-face daily (I wear sunscreen, Revlon Colorstay foundation, blush eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara etc), it's not for us. On the up side, it never dried my face out :).

rated 5 of 5 on 12/20/2010 10:35:00 AM More reviews by marileab

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I usually have normal to slightly oily skin, but this fall and winter my skin has been slightly dry and fairly sensitive. I switched to this cleanser from Neutrogena's Fresh Foaming Face wash, which was too harsh for my now-dry skin. The Extra Gentle Cleanser is perfect for me. My skin doesn't feel dry or tight after I wash it, just clean. This cleanser also doesn't irritate my facial skin like the Fresh Foaming Face wash was beginning to do. Overall, I'm happy with this cleanser right now, but I can see switching back to the Fresh Foaming Face wash if my skin changes again in the spring/summer.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2010 11:49:00 PM More reviews by 1stone

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I purchase this product over and over. Cetaphil is gentle enough but I don't feel that it cleans my skin well enough. Chamomile cleanser by Villa Floriani cleans my skin well and is ALMOST as gentle, but not quite, it is also costly! The Neutrogena fragrance free that my daughter (with younger, more oily skin) really likes is not gentle enough for me . . . I always come back to Neutrogena Extra Gentle. My skin feels clean and I never have any irritation whatsoever, and many cleansers, even gentle ones, do irritate my skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2010 10:10:00 PM More reviews by PrettyInPlaidChic

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my "In Case of Emergency, Break Glass to Retrieve" Cleanser, when all else is an epic FAIL. This product literally salvaged my skin after a terrible run-in with Clarins Gentle Foaming Cleanser, which left my skin so stripped and burned, I couldn't apply anything to it. Whereas, this product is very straighforward, effective and affordable. Good in hard water environments, too. Reliable favorite. Not harsh at all.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2010 1:55:00 PM More reviews by missjessica87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I just started using this cleanser today so I can't say that much about it right now. I can say that it removes makeup in a snap and is extremely gentle on my skin. I have combination-dry skin that is extremely sensitive and reacts to almost anything so I have to be very careful with what I buy and I have to read ingredient labels very carefully as well. I have been breaking out a lot lately because of the weather change so I have to find something that was a bit more moisturizing. This stuff says that it adds moisture to your face each time you use it so I figured I'd give it a try. Will update soon. Hope all goes well.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/30/2010 10:29:00 AM More reviews by sumyi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was my first cleanser and I don't like it. I wouldn't say I hate it since this word is only reserved for products that break me out. Anyway, it had this weird scent( so do all neutrogena's cleansers that I've tried) and I kept sneezing while cleaning my face.