November 26, 2014 | 1653 users online

Lotions/ Creams - AmLactin 12%

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2010 5:14:00 PM More reviews by Lizard31

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

AmLactin 12% alpha-hydroxy lotion is my unglamorous secret weapon for hands, elbows, heels, upper arms, knees and any other rough spots.

I began using it a year or so ago on my hands every night, hoping to keep my dry hands and cuticles under control. I have had mild scarring on the back of my left hand since I was a baby and I am amazed at how well AmLactin has smoothed out my skin and diminished the scarring. This has happened over time (like a year) so don't expect overnight results.

It also works very well on KP on upper arms and helps keep my heels smooth between visits from Mr. Pumice.

I buy AmLactin at my local CVS where it can be found on the bottom shelf in the lotion aisle (along with the other unglamorous products). It's pricy at $15 or $16 US for 7.9 oz, however you can download a $2 coupon at amlactin.com and if you can combine it with CVS ExtraBucks, you can save.

AmLactin doesn't smell great - actually, it smells like something you might need a prescription for - and the bottle is a plain flip-top plastic one but to me, the product inside is what really matters and I will keep re-purchasing.

AmLactin may be a little tough on sensitive skins, so remember that your mileage may vary. ; )

I should also add that I only use AmLactin at night. I find it a little tacky feeling on my hands for during the day.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/24/2010 2:00:00 PM More reviews by Chabli

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I don't understand the comments about the smell. I don't smell ANYTHING. I wonder if there isn't a difference between the lotion in the tube vs. the capped bottle.

Anyway, I find this to be VERY heavy. Hours after applying I still have the feeling I've been dipped in oil. Which I personally find nice.

My skin is VERY soft. I LOVE this lotion. I didn't think anything could tear me away from my Nivea Cream (told you I like that heavy lotion feeling), but this has stolen my heart.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/24/2010 11:34:00 PM More reviews by maddios

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I got in this in prescription form when I was younger and I've also bought it over-the-counter. I use it for mild KP (for those who don't know, KP=keratosis pilaris. It refers to those really annoying little bumps that a lot of people get on the backs of their arms and elsewhere. They look a lot like pimples.)
Pros: does help smooth KP bumps, it's extremely hydrating and it sinks into skin pretty quickly.
Cons: smell is a little icky, it causes sun sensitivity (which is a problem since most people with KP are quite pale,) and it's kind of expensive.

To achieve great results I personally have to use it religiously (like twice daily.) I usually layer a lighter, nice-smelling lotion on top, just because of the scent.

I've gotten equal or better results with my KP from using coconut oil daily, but I still keep a bottle around just because sometimes I don't want to wait for oil to sink in.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2010 7:52:00 AM More reviews by mirrorgirlmirrorgirls

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I obtained some samples of this..one in cream form and another in the lotion version. Everybody keeps using techincal terms like KP, SK, Itcyosis etc that mean nothing to me. What i suffer from in laymens terms..thin skinned, wrinkley, crinkley skin on my arms and not one cream or lotion has helped. Finally talked to a rep from this co. and was told its good for this problem as well. I have used the lotion samples for 2 days and the lines are less visible and my arms feel soft. My super sensitive skin didnt break out in an allergic reaction either. So far i would say this is working out very well and hopefully by summer i can wear some short sleeved tops. Bottom line...not just for KP but for wrinkely arm or body skin. It glides on without any pull and tug and has the right amount of moisture in it...not greasy nor runny.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2010 10:11:00 AM More reviews by Belann

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My skin gets so dry at times that I have to apply lotion twice a day to keep flakes away. Awful! Sometimes my legs would even itch.
After some reviews and gathering some email from other users, I decided to give this a try.
From the very first use, I noticed an outstanding improvement! My legs and arms are very smooth and feel great to the touch. No more skin flakes when I remove my pants!
This works so well that I only really need to apply it after my shower although I will say that using it twice a day provides even better results.
Even though this product cost somewhat more than your average everyday lotion, it is well worth it. I do not mind using quite a bit when applying it because it works so well on me. I am amazed.
I do have KP on my upper arms and front thighs and this has helped quite a bit. More so than any other product I have tried in the past.
I warn you now that the smell is not good. I even wondered what "that smell is" and discovered it was this lotion. I wear a litttle perfume, most of the time, so it hasn't just killed me. My husband and I both have senstive noses and he smelled a little of it on our sheets, if I used it right before going to bed, but he agreed it is worth it. I guess you could apply a little scented lotion over it if you wanted.
After using it for a month now, I can say that I will never be without it no matter what the cost.
Younger looking, comfortable skin!.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2010 5:44:00 PM More reviews by Ceci2468

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using this cream in a tube for about a week. I'm using it on my face and chest (to start with) for Seborrheic Keratoses (SK). I've decided to try a home remedy instead of getting them burned or scraped off by a derm which can cause serious long-lasting/permanent hyperpigmentation and I've got a lot of them (derm would be too expensive). Anyway, I read that 35% or higher glycolic acid, 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide or lactic acid might get rid of them. The lactic acid (cheapest and easily obtained at ds) seemed like a good starting place. This might not be a strong enough lactic acid (at 12%) but I'm trying it anyway.
I can only use this at night because I have a habit of touching my eyes and this stuff burns my eyes a lot. LOL Anyway, I haven't broken out from using it (skin is quite smooth and soft). The only cons (so far) is that my normally oily t-zone is a bit more oily but I'm going to stick with it and see if I can get some results and the ammonia smell which goes away fairly quickly. Maybe I'll stop putting it on my t-zone since I don't have any SK in that area just some hyperpigmentation.
If this doesn't work, I'll try one of the other methods. I'll update in future.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2010 8:51:00 AM More reviews by JMAKEUPALLEY

Slow but Steady progress sums it up. Great with Retin A. Works under makeup for me. Really smoothes skin and bumps. Helps prevent ingrown hairs. Can mix it with advocato oil or another moisturizer. Really whitens my nails. I could go on, but you get the idea. Cons: burns until your skin gets used to it or when you have a nik. You can dilute it with oil until skin gets used to it. A Great product!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2010 10:46:00 PM More reviews by tsmith4896

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I get razor burn quite easily, especially on my bikini line. I read somewhere that after shaving, you use this to moisturize and exfoliate. The results have been almost 100%. So, I greatly recommend this product. The smell is not great, but not terrible. And, I think a pump container would work best, but these issues are minor compared to the actual results you get. Will buy again and again.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/26/2010 5:00:00 PM More reviews by akimakeiya

I liked it for the first few days I used it. I have keratosis pilaris, and it seemed to ease the bumps and redness. Sadly, a week later, my skin broke into a flaming rash and began to peel. Will not repurchase, and will continue to look for a cure for my KP.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/20/2010 7:34:00 PM More reviews by hitashi

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Overall, good product.
It definitely smooths out my skin and makes it feel a lot less bumpy. However, I have KP (like many of the people here) and this unfortunately did not get rid of them. I was not expecting a complete removal but was hoping that they would subside at least. It mostly just got rid of the redness and made it smoother. Would repurchase unless I found a better product.