February 27, 2015 | 1990 users online

Fragrances - Dior - Poison

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2009 10:13:00 AM More reviews by violette

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I hate to be yet another reviewer who brings the ratings down for such an iconic scent, but count me as among the majority of women here who detest this perfume. Seriously, I can’t stand this stuff. My mom used to wear Poison back in the late 80s to early 90s & I recalled how stately the gorgeous, deep purple 30ml EDT bottle looked on her vanity. Yet, strangely, I have absolutely no recollection of the perfume’s scent itself… somehow, it was never burned into my olfactory memory (probably because I was only about 10 to 12 years old then & hadn’t yet developed a keen sense of smell when it came to perfumery). Anyways, fast forward 20 years later, I decided to revisit Poison last week after being intrigued by all the love/hate reviews on MUA. I was itching to find out whether, like my mom & the lucky ladies on this board, I too can finally claim this classic as my own. Well, let's just say I won't be adding this to my ever-growing perfume collection... EVER. Poison, unfortunately, turns out to be just that on my skin: POISON. One spray on my wrist & I just about died… it is absolutely one of the most stomach-turning perfumes I’ve ever smelled in my life. Don’t get me wrong… I love honey, berries, florals & spices in my perfumes; however, in the case of Poison, the mixture of all these notes together just ends up becoming WAAAY too much for the senses. Although it does become softer & more tolerable towards the end, the first few hours are pure torture: cloying, headache-inducing, agonizingly LOUD. It really does smell dated -- a flashy, over-the-top perfume typical of the Decade of Excess as others have pointed out. And like big hair, shoulder pads, leg warmers & tacky plastic jewelry, Poison too should’ve just stayed in the 1980s where it belongs. Still, it deserves a solid 3 lippies: for the superior staying power (Dior’s EDTs, next to Guerlain’s, are unparalleled in this respect, IMO), the classy bottle, & for being a groundbreaking scent of its time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2009 4:42:00 AM More reviews by Melloney

Poison and I are intertwined whether I like it or not . For a long time ,I liked it NOT because it was the ubiquitous scent that trailed me everywhere and haunted every beauty hall in the eighties . The smell drove me nuts and not in a good way. For years, I would see that purple bottle ,cringe and wrinkle my nose - 'that smell and those darned clothes I used to wear ! "
Well, a couple of weeks ago , I felt a craving coming along for Poison - and my heart sank. When one of my cravings come along, then I have to follow my nose.
Having tentatively and cautiously fist smelt the nozzle, then sprayed a little....now, I am in love with it ! It's taken me over 20 years to appreciate Poison.
Someone wrote on the internet ,that the fragrance reminds them of wine and I agree. It's baroque, rich ,glorious and decandent. Now that the 1980s is far away and not everyone wears this scent, I can finally approach it with love and embrace it. Finally I understand Poison !

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2009 2:23:00 AM More reviews by chayaNY

i hate it. i hated it when it first came out, when iw as a teen and many of my friends had to have this. it was very expensive for a kid to buy and yet if you had given it to me free i would not have taken it. i still hate it now. i can identify it a mile away and always felt it just overwhelmed and choked me. i respect those who love it. we all have different tastes. this is just not for me.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2009 12:14:00 AM More reviews by ex0ticbarbie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I can't stand this perfume. I have never owned it but my mother is obsessed with it. It has a VERY strong smell. I am usually not bothered by smells nor do perfumes make me feel nauseous but this perfume is just too strong for me to handle. It lasts very long time though and if you apply it in the morning you can still smell it at night. I'm not a fan of the green or dark Poison bottles but I am IN LOVE with the white Poison as well as the red one (their scents are *very* different from the green and dark Poison that I am reviewing right now). If you must wear this perfume or if you really do like it, PLEASE spray lightly and only use two sprays - otherwise you will most likely make everyone around you feel nauseous!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/26/2009 11:51:00 PM More reviews by tempescape

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Black

This scent whther put on lightly or heavily smells horrible. I tried a Sephora sample and people on the train were openly nauseated by its scent. It smells like Dior Addicts ugly sister. I will never wear a sample of it again. Goes on horribly strong and dries down to an everlasting all day horrible smell that sends people around you away from you.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2009 4:02:00 AM More reviews by Onyxopi

This is my signature scent. Ethereal and mysterious all at once. Poison reminds me of an enchanted forest with lots of twinkling fairies fluttering about.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2008 9:06:00 AM More reviews by marylizette

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I wore this when I was a teenager and out of curiosity I bought a bottle the other day. I think that this scent overwhelms some people's chemistry. My chemistry seem to dwarf everything. Scents do not last on my skin, with that said, this is just jammy goodness on me. Its jam, with a hint of wood and a hint of white flowers.
I get migraines from many fragrances, but not this one. I am very glad that I re-visited this. I think its gorgeous.
Try it without any 80's preconceptions and see wht you think.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/19/2008 8:34:00 PM More reviews by kickyouonce

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Ugh, let's just say that if I were to wear this, my cat would be up in arms and wonder who had marked his territory!

Yes, it smells like cat __________ (a word that begins with and sounds like P).

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2008 11:04:00 PM More reviews by tracy1031

I like this, but its not love. its strong so just a spritz will do. to me, its like lolita lempicka's sweeter stronger sister. it smells a bit like grapes to me? Not in a fruity way though, more like a warm earthy sweet way. sometimes it can be a bit too sweet and heady for me though. definitely try it, and wait till it dries down and ONLY one spritz, or else you will hate it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2008 8:36:00 PM More reviews by Frenchmix

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

Memories...My husband bought me this perfume when we were first dating, very early on as a gift. I loved this perfume and wore it every single day. This perfume is pretty strong, a little goes a long way. I remember working (in the engineering dept) and all the men would comment on how they could smell my perfume in the hall or cafeteria long after I left it, and how much they liked it... My husband didn't like this effect of his gift, lol. Bottom line, men love this, and it's always nice to *poison* their mind with thoughts of you.

*5 09 ~ I mentioned that I did a review on this perfume to my husband while he was on his home computer working at home. I said remember when you got mad after buying me that perfume Posion... *You said that was meant for you to wear for ME not all the guys at the office to enjoy*. He laughed and said I remember that! He then turned around when I walked out and got on e-bay and bought me a brand new big bottle. I haven't had this perfume in many years. I don't really think it's me anymore, but now when I wear it, I will wear it just for him.

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No