September 19, 2014 | 1143 users online

Loose Powders - Laura Mercier - Secret Brightening Powder

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2011 6:03:00 AM More reviews by Misha40

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I agree with the previous reviewers: it's a great eye brightener, luminizing without too much sparkle and shimmer, sets concealer well, and lasts all day. It is well worth the price because there is so much product. I have been using it every day for 6 months and still have 2/3 of a jar left.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2011 5:44:00 PM More reviews by chiggy5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Be careful when taking off the tab that is over the sifter holes when you first get it, I tugged it off to hard and white powder flew onto on top of my vanity...I didn't want to scoop it up and put it back in the pot...wasted. Anyhow, I got this info off the L.M. site; Pick up product with the Camouflage Powder Brush and pat powder onto area of application - don't drag. I do not own the brush but I use my Chanel #11 brush and pat it on. I pat it on one eye then look at my other eye and I can tell a difference, I also can tell when I forget to set my concealer with this as my mascara will transfer to my undereye. It is a subtle brightener not sparkly, I will repurchase. It retails for $22 for 0.14 oz./4g.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2011 8:52:00 PM More reviews by dsbirnbaum

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a beneficial product for subtle under eye brightening. It effectively sets concealer in the under eye area, helping to prevent creasing and fading. I dab on a tiny amount, using a fluffy eye shadow brush. I quickly learned that a little of this product goes a long way. If you apply too much, It will make the under eye area look dry and creased. I suffer from hereditary dark circles, which are difficult to conceal. This product, used in conjunction with eye make up primer and a good concealer gives my eye area a lift. The brightening effect from this product appears to be most noticeable in photographs.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2011 2:37:00 PM More reviews by Spurklie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a great product. When applied lightly under the eyes over concealer it prevents creasing and subtly but effectively brightens the whole undereye area. I use my MAC 225 brush or the EDM Eye Kabuki, swirl around in the residue of the lid and buff gently around the eye. It gives a beautifully fresh effect.

The packaging isn't great, once you peel the sticker back a bit the powder just spills out into the lid. I would recommend NOT removing the sticker, just peel it back the tinest bit and believe me, enough product will come out for you to use. You won't actually have to tip any powder out, whatever collects in the lid as a fine layer is more than enough. You just need a very tiny amount around your eye, this definitely does not need patted on.

Fairly expensive but totally worth it as I can't see me running out of this for at least a couple of years, even with daily use. Worth investing in, it makes a real difference.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2011 8:43:00 AM More reviews by mikmik90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Background: Skintone ranges from NW20-NC25. I match Armani Luminous Silk #5, Armani Lasting Silk #5.5, KA SSE #6.
I CANNOT believe I haven't yet reviewed this product. Ive been using it for years to set my undereye concealer (YSL touche eclat). The touche eclat looks pretty ordinary alone, but once paired with this, WOW.

I dont really have circles under my eyes but this duo helps diffuse any shadows and makes me look less tired.

It never looks powdery, and i also find that it stops eyemakeup/ mascara migrating to the area around my eyes. I apply with a stila 109 (similar to a mac 224) brush and this works perfectly. Ive been on the same pot of this powder for years, a little goes a LONG way.

I dont know how i found this, but HG status for sure! One of those 'couldnt live without' products.

9 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2011 12:33:00 AM More reviews by chayaNY

Update 12/15/12, wanted to update as I've now tried shade 2, the more yellow and warm toned version of the powder. I'm quite yellow toned myself and always wondered what 2 was like. But it turns out #1 is still the way to go as it seems to have optical brighteners that are enhanced by the cool, white, almost blue/lavender undertone. I find under eye creams with such a tone to also be most effective so this is no surprise to me. However 2 does something #1 isn't great for. While #1 works magic on under eye skin and fine lines there, it doesn't seem to work as well on other areas of the face in that same blurring way. However 2 somehow does a great job at that! I find it helps tone down and "smooth" the appearnce of red upper cheeks especially well. pdate, 4/24/12 still love this more than a year after first trying it. Imagine applying your undereye concealer, or whatever you use there, maybe foundation, maybe you've given up on trying to make the area look better and use nothing. Then you pat on some fine white-ish powder and life is a little more bearable, I mean your under eye area, yes, of course thats what I meant. To this day, I am amazed at what this can do, and since I use this last in my routine, its like a little lift on days the rest of my makeup is more of less a bit of a let down for one reason or another. Does what it says and dont we all wish everything and everyone were that way? Of course if you meet your dream mate with this on then they see you without, its not my fault if they run screaming. Seriously, try this.

Original review below:

I hesitated to review this fearing I'd jinx myself. Rarely does a product live up to the hype for me. I have extremely dry under eye skin due to a medical condition effecting both my tear and moisture glands. I've "held up" rather well I'd say given my age, pass for much younger routinely, but the dryness under my eyes caused me to try one cream and then concealer, after another. That I also have very dark hereditary circles didn't help. My skin under my eyes is very thin as well, always has been the type you could see veins, even as a kid. All these issues made finding the right products for the area, a tall order.

I read and read about this powder, almost afraid to be let down, so didn't try it till this past week. I love it! It really turns back the clock for me because in hrs, any other powder, low end or high, would crease due to my dryness. I tried a multitude of other powders, none worked, all creased in short order. I was amazed with this because once I got it home in my hot little hands I didn't even wait to reapply mu, no, if this is so good, how would it look over mu that's been on all day, with creases already there no less?! The answer is not bad, it somehow smoothed the creases and I looked more awake.

Impressed I tried it the next day over LM's concealer number 2, and the combo is so good! The concealer seems too thick and peachy but works somehow so well especially with the powder. Smooth, clear, brightened, under eye skin. Today I tried it over Revlon Spa concealer since the LM one is expensive for every day, and voila, looked great! That concealer always looked good, but way too dewy, never seemed to fully set on me, till today. I got compliments on how good I look, so well rested when I am anything but this past week. If you have dry under eye skin or are over 40, you are cheating yourself out of looking even better, younger too, if you don't try this!

I rarely give anything a 5 rating but this deserves it!
Edit, May 31,2011
Continue to love this powder! I now use it in other ways such as a little blended with any HD powder I have and the finish is glowy yet not shimmery. Same for my bronzers, I only use matte and again, more of a glow when you put some of this stuff on your brush first. I use it under my eye brows and above my lips where my skin is also dry. This also tones down too pigmented/too bright, blush. I'm 44 and I really appreciate when a product actually delivers

Edit, Sept 9, 2011, Okay I almost never edit my reviews, too many to edit, and usually my opinion remains unchanged. Well on this one product it changes, but only for the better. So here is what I've learned, yes the LM concealer looks best with this powder but any old concealer looks much, much better, cleaner, smoother, under eye area, using this over it. Even concealers I did not like before, are "fine," certainly decent, with this, and thats why you need to buy this, cause if you're like me you have a drawer full of broken promises that read, "concealer," on the packaging. I also brush this over my neck and decolletage area too. Hey why not have that area look as refreshed as my face?
Here is a great tip to even enhance this one better, I use Cliniques Pore Perfector primer OVER my concealer, but only in the dreaded tear trough area. I pat on a minute amount, let that set a moment, then PAT this powder over it and all my under eye concealer, spritz my face with water, and I have unlined, smooth, ceaseless, under eye skin all day. I have now learned pretty much ANY thicker, silicone type primer (think L'Oreal Studio Secrets too, not a more liquidy LM primer nor Hourglass, both lovely but not for this purpose), will fit the bill. Lightly pat with ring finger on either hand, just in that arc that deeps with age, over time. Again, let set a moment, pat the powder over, thank me for looking younger than your friends lol. I accidentally spilled some and needed more so ran to Sephora when I normally order from the LM site (you get better samples than at Sephora in my opinion) but could not wait and ran to get some. I have also finally tried Glamoflauge which is supposed to be a dupe or at least do the very same thing. It is lovely and has its place however, in no way can it replace this powder. It simply does not do the same thing this powder does.

23 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2011 5:35:00 PM More reviews by laurall

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this powder! It is the finest powder ever, and helps setting my concealer very nicely. Although I still have to find my HG concealer (not sure if that'll ever happen!), this powder really helps the one I am currently using (Amazing Concealer) stay put for longer and look more natural. Considering the amount you need each time (negligible), I don't think that this product is over priced, because this pot will last me for years!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2011 6:32:00 PM More reviews by GirlFromB

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

At first I used this product and it just didn't work for me ... but now I found out how to use it and it is part of my daily routine. My tip: first apply your usual concealer, then turn the pot around so that some powder falls into the lid. Turn the pot back its normal position and shake it gently so that all the powder in the lid falls back in the pot. The film of powder that stays in the lid is ALL you need.
Take a small but fluffy brush and sweep through lid. Apply under your eyes and - if you wish - on the lids.
I mainly use it to set my concealer and it works so much better in doing that than any other face powder (which cakes). As for the illuminating effect - I'm less impressed by that effect, but still it's a really nice and useful product. If you use this product correctly it lasts very very long.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2011 3:01:00 PM More reviews by STACEYFFF

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I purchased this product based on the positive reviews on MUA. Thank you for the recommendation, Ladies!

I have been using this to set my HG LM Secret Concealer and I am very, very pleased with the additional benefits this product provides. I apply it sparingly to the under eye area with a large concealer brush immediately after applying Secret Concealer.

It is subtle, but appreciable. The powder is very, very fine and has an exceptionally subtle luminescence that helps light up the under eye area.

XO's to Laura Mercier.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2010 5:47:00 PM More reviews by Tindra78

I don't know if I don't get it or if this just don't suit me...? If I put it lightly over my face or cheekbones I look sparkling/glittery...and if i put it around my eyes/under eyes it does not hide more than a light concealer + shadow.... I don't know if I use it in the wrong way, but this is nothing special....

Beside all this I don't like glitter in my face cause it easely looks "too much" on acne-prone skin... I "light reflecting" concealer is something else, but this contains glitter/sparkle...

The price is also very high.

So until I really learn how to use this or if it suits me, i won't repurchase...