October 21, 2014 | 923 users online

Styling Products - Aveda - Light Elements Smoothing Fluid

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/5/2007 7:54:00 PM More reviews by amygirl3540

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Ok, this product is the best one on the market if you don't want greasy hair. It smells nice...not very strong. It's weightless and though it's a little expensive, it's worth it because I've already spent enough money on other serums that didn't work very well. I've tried Paul Mitchell skinny serum, Biolage smoothing serum, AND Redken heat glide. All of them made my hair greasy and weighed down, didn't help with tangles...not good for wet or dry hair in my case. The Aveda Light Elements smoothing fluid is the ONLY smoothing "serum" that left my hair silky and soft. I have used it on wet hair before blowdrying and on dry hair to smooth fly-aways and add shine. It works well before and after using a flat-iron, too. I feel like the other serums out there may be better for people with extremely dry/textured hair. My hair is a little dry from hi-lites, but it doesn't need to be oily/greasy/weighed down, so this is perfect. I'm surprised by the number of people who didn't like this. I know it seems like torture to drop $23 on it, but it's fantastic and I have come to the conclusion that it's definitely worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/14/2007 7:54:00 PM More reviews by rachelanneb

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I use this product on dry hair to smooth down ends and any frizzy spots. it is super light yet effectively seals my locks, adds gorgeous non-greasy shine, doesn't weight down my hair and smells great. The fragrance isn't overly powerful like some Aveda products I've used.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2007 2:42:00 AM More reviews by Jenevieve

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Love this serum! I use a tiny bit on dry hair before flat ironing. I have fine, thin hair and these types of products always leave my hair greasy. This one is great for me and really protects my hair from the flat iron. I've also used a bit on wet hair before blow drying and it makes my hair feel very soft. I find that his makes my hair smooth and sleek and doesn't make it greasy or dull. For some reason, I stopped using it a few months ago and have been flat ironing w/o any heat protectant and my hair shows it majorly. I will be using this from now on with no breaks!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/27/2007 12:15:00 AM More reviews by angelstar975

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product makes my hair very soft without weighing it down at all. However, it doesn't add any shine whatsoever and it doesn't make my hair look as healthy as some other serums. I think there are better serums out there.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2007 8:37:00 AM More reviews by uberbooble

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this stuff, I use it almost everyday and I think it's perfect for my fine, curly hair. However I was told by the SA in Aveda that this is an extremely light product and may not work very well on thicker/coarser hair. I only use a very little bit so this tends to last me quite a long time and I rub it into wet hair- although I was told I could use it on dry hair I find that it just looks greasy. Unlike most styling products this doesn't weigh down my hair at all- in fact I'm sure it makes it bouncier and more alive, it also eliminates frizz and makes it extremely soft and shiny.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2007 2:06:00 AM More reviews by princess_eab

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'll be honest: this is great stuff, possibly the lightest serum out there, and I was addicted to it for a couple of bottles-- but it's very expensive and seems to go fast. I found a cheaper alternative in Paves Professional Flawless essential oil shine serum, which is almist scent-identical to Aveda products and is very weightless like this one. So I would buy again if I were not on a grad student budget!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2006 3:12:00 PM More reviews by lirial

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Another hit in my bathroom. This has a great consistency without adding oil or heaviness. Using it on wet hair with some Root Boost and a blowdryer gives me a tame and polished look that prevents fly-aways. Doesn't feel sticky, but does help hold a style. Nice fragrance, and I've been using the bottle daily for six months and still have over 60% left.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/10/2006 8:30:00 AM More reviews by snowbunnyUK

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

As a hair serum, this is pretty amazing stuff! I made the mistake of trying redken serum recently, and my head looked like an oil slick....I have very thick, wavy (coarse) hair, and this stuff works wonders. However, has anyone else found it makes them break out? Seriously, if I don't cover my back whilst I am applying it/drying my hair, it can actually lead to some terrible break-outs on the backs of my shoulders...probably due to the very high moisture content. be careful! I was using a lot of it on the beach, and that's when the problem started. great for taming dry beach hair, not good for the back area! Also, although it leaves my hair feeling very soft, it's still not great for taming individual flyaways, on my type of hair anyway. Tend to make my fringe look a bit greasy if I'm trying to control flyaways there. Still looking for the HG!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2006 3:51:00 AM More reviews by 52pigtails

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I think I am a good expert in smoothing fluids and this one is less than average. It doesn't work well on my hair, as it gets a bit sticky and frizzy anyway. I prefer linseed serums

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2006 2:44:00 AM More reviews by MissPurple

This is absolutely one of my favorite hair products of all time. I've used it for years and am on my 6th bottle or something. I have chemically treated and damaged hair which is prone to frizz and can look dull at times. I always need to use some hair serum to smooth it out and I've tried loads which were either sticky and heavy or made my hair flat. Light Elements Smoothing Fluid is very light but so effective that it totally tames the hair without weighing it down, and adds tons of shine to it. My hair just looks smooth, shiny and healthy. Beautiful product that I'll keep using as long as they still make it.