April 24, 2014 | 1752 users online

Shampoo - LUSH - Trichomania bar

rated 4 of 5 on 1/9/2009 2:06:00 PM More reviews by RainWitch

First, this bar is nothing to do with an STD! It's named after TRICHOLOGY, the study of hair. The mania bit comes from someone who loves (or is MANIC) about their hair. It is also a double meaning, a shampoo for big hair that needs some controlling. So, for crazy/manic hair! Here is the Lush page for Trichomania to show you: https://www.lush.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=425&category_id=487&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=80

Right. I have quite dry/thick/fluffy/kinky hair, shoulderlength. This is a nice shampoo for me, it lathers well, in fact of all Lush products I reckon this gives me the most lather. It is easy to use, just like rubbing a bar of soap around your hair, but it makes it look nicer! It smells lovely, of real coconut! Lasts for ages too, I got mine 3 months ago, use it about twice a week and still got a chunk left, at least enough for another month.

However, this isn't quite moisturizing enough for my hair. I don't blame Lush for this, for hair less dry and thick it would be great, just not for me. I use this with jungle and it does tame my hair, just not as much as I'd like. I'm not buying this again because I want a bit more moisture.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/21/2008 7:25:00 PM More reviews by junkfood

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

On my very first trip to a Lush store, I was intrigued by the idea of a solid shampoo. The store assistant told me to try this one. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. Before using it, my hair felt likie there was a lot of build-up, but I didn't feel that way after using this shampoo. It also reduced (not eliminated) my dandruff. But it didn't do much for my frizz. I'm wondering if I should switch my conditioner, too, and see if I get better results.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/9/2008 1:32:00 PM More reviews by lectriceye

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This shampoo worked out really well for me. It definitely adds a lot of moisture to hair. I have curly somewhat dry hair and this added just enough moisture. The only thing I don't like about this is that it contains SLS. Because of that I probably won't be using it as often.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2008 8:18:00 PM More reviews by vintagequeengf1

I love the smell, but I just don't get the same shiny, clean hair that I do with my favorite LUSH solid shampoo New!. The shampoo definitely smells like creamy coconut - delicious.

I can't get this bar to work up a great lather like I can with some of LUSH's other shampoo bars. I usually get mediocre results and find that I usually have to rinse and repeat.

I found this shampoo bar to be way to thick and heavy for me. I am trying to grow out my dyed hair, so my roots and the top 5 or so inches of my hair are super healthy, and the ends severely damaged from dying. I think part of the reason this doesn't work for me is that my undamaged roots get too greasy when using this shampoo. I like to shampoo only every other day, but when I use this I have to shampoo every day or my hair looks dirty.

Although there are things that I like about this shampoo, it just isn't the right fit. I think I will stick to New!.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/23/2008 8:53:00 PM More reviews by SugarMakeup

I'm neutral, haven't tried it. I just wanted to comment on the name of this product. The term "Trichotillomania" is a psychological disorder where there's a strong compulsion to pull out one's own body hair. People who suffer with this psychological disorder have practically no body hair. It's bizarre to find a product named this!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/18/2008 4:19:00 PM More reviews by moycer

I do love the scent of this shampoo bar, and I find it lasts a long time since I just need to rub my hands over it a couple of times to get enough to wash my hair. It left my hair nice and soft and fairly shiny, but nothing special. (For anyone who is interested, the 'tricho' part of the name comes from the Greek for hair. Trichology is the study of hair. There is also an STD with a similar name.)

rated 1 of 5 on 7/31/2008 1:35:00 AM More reviews by justwishin

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I agree with Cookie below. Why is this bar basically named after an STD (trichomaniasis, I think)??????? Gross.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/30/2008 2:42:00 PM More reviews by artarbox

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have been on the hunt for bar shampoo ever since I learned that it takes 26 litres of water just to manufacture one plastic shampoo bottle. I was delighted when I found out about LUSH and I went to the store in Santa Monica to try some out. I bought the Trichomania shampoo and both my BF and I have been using it and love it (and love not using plastic). However, the price is pretty high - I paid $15 for a pretty small bar. Also, the customer service at the Santa Monica store was hideous. Really. I went up to two salesgirls who were talking to each other (about something totally not work-related) to ask a question and they both looked at me and went on with their conversation. I mean, come on. That's ridiculous. That left a pretty negative impression on me so I went searching for other good shampoo bars. I found (thank you, google) a place called Chagrin Valley Soap and Craft in Ohio which seems like a really great mom and pop joint. And their ingredients are AMAZING (some of Lush's bars have SLS; not here)! They also have sample sizes of everything for cheap, so I ordered a whole bunch of samples to try them out. I haven't received them yet, but I have hgh hopes!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2008 9:55:00 AM More reviews by tried_em_all

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It's amazing to me how many people can get this to work...I could not get it to lather at all - but I have a ton of hair. I found this really stripping and drying...and it so didn't work for me. I would use it as a shaving aid, but it has Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, which is really irritating for me over time. If they had used Sodium Laureth Sulfate, I probably would have had better luck with it. If you are looking for other natural shampoos, I like the Abba Pure Gentle, and the Pure Life Soap Company has some nice choices.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2008 2:42:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

Not as strongly scented as a lot of LUSH's products are. This has a light, milky coconut scent, more creamy than tropical. Unlike Godiva or Jungle, the fragrance doesn't linger in my hair. Lathers up nicely and feels very rich and dense but rinses cleanly. I don't notice a difference, positive or negative, with my hair. It looks the same. If I need a solid shampoo (for traveling, let's say), I'll buy Godiva, but not this.