April 17, 2014 | 960 users online

Self Tanners - Neostrata - Self Tan

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2007 4:53:00 PM More reviews by CecileCecile

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have tried many - this one is the best. A thin layer does the job, and no streaks. What really gets me is that it does not visibly slough off in little patches leaving that flaky brown effect at wrists and ankles when it fades. It fades away so gradually, just like an actual suntan. EDIT - The one I used was the almondy cream (sunsation insta-tan) in a tube that retails for around $24 CDN - I used the Deep Dark one with excellent results on my medium skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2006 10:12:00 PM More reviews by tosharocket

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS SELF TANNER! I am talking about the Neostrata 2 in 1 self tanner.I am proud to be Canadian because I have no trouble finding it, my shoppers drug mart has it right up the hill. I have tried sooo many self tanners, but this is the best. It actually makes me brown. And I bought the face version, and I usually also have a problem finding self tanners that will actaully tan my face, stay after during exfoliation etc. and this one does all that. I will never go to a tanning bed ever again if I have this stuff. Gloves are a must though. I use this twice a week, and every other day I use dove energy glow, and I haven't gotten that lizard skin yet. It isn't really that expensive $24 cdn for the body stuff and $20 for face stuff, It usually lasts me 3 months. Try it, it is worth every penny I swear

rated 1 of 5 on 8/27/2006 9:30:00 PM More reviews by prweiss65

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

There are TWO Neostrata tanners. The one that Ulta is carrying presently is NOT the one everyone is raving about here. This one is a mousse that smells HORRIBLE, and does NOTHING. I was so excited when i found it at ULTA, only to realize it is the wrong one. It was the absolute worst self-tanner I've ever used.

The salesgirl did tell me that they are getting the GOOD Neostrata tanner in sometime this week.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/1/2006 3:58:00 PM More reviews by Elizabeth01

This Self Tanner is an alright product - it gives pretty good results but you need to be willing to forgive some of its downfalls. First of all, a CG is a nice thing to have in a ST, esp. for begginers, but this CG is a little too dark for my liking; its a dark red/grey brown that looks and feels like mud. The smell is nice, a soft almond-paste sort of smell, not overwhelming IMO. When all is said and done, and the cosmetic CG is rinsed off, the resulting tan is significantly lighter than the CG, but a nice reddish brown. For me, while this product does give nice, consistant results, the price ($20+), the colourguide, and the light colour that I am left with just isnt enough to keep me comming back. To add the the previous reviewers statement - this Neostrata product originates in Canada and is thus available over the counter in Canadian drugstores like Shoppers Drug Mart.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2006 3:39:00 PM More reviews by Suger_Spise

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

PLEASE don't do what I just did! I was thrilled to hear that people were so satisfied with this product, but was dissapointed to discover that you had to buy it online. Luckily, I checked with ULTA, who said they had the self tanner by Neostrata. THERE ARE TWO DIFFERENT NEOSTRATAS! I bought the tanner available in America- "Exuviance by Neostrata Skin Healthy Sunless Tanning Mousse." This is not the Neostrata recieving wonderful reviews. This is the Neostrata that is lowering the ratings on this product. I read the reviews. The people who were satisfied usually referred to lotion-like thing with bronzer, but occasionally referred to a mousse. The unhappy people talked about the product as a mousse and mentioned AHA, an ingredient emphasized in the Exuviance Neostrata. I used this Neostrata and it does not work and it smelled strongly of fake tanner! What should be the quality Neostrata is only available on the internet and you can order it on this site- http://www.canderm.com/page.asp?intNodeID=8080&sysStr=PCAT38:action-sList_class-4293,196016_intCurID-13_sPos-0; Do not use just any of the sites that claim to lead to Neostrata as many of them lead me to the one by Exuviance. I have now found the GOOD Neostrata and plan to order it of this site. By the way, please ignore my ratings.
I just wanted to add that I've tried the GOOD neostrata and it is completely different. I have to say first of all I love the smell. It smells like almonds and has given me a really natural looking tan. With my skin, a natural looking tan is practically impossible. I've used pretty much every cheap tanner( Neutrogena, Banana Boat, you name it) and every one has turned me orange. A few years ago I started using Fake Bake, which gave me a pretty natural looking color, but made me look a little dirty and got all over my sheets. Neostrata gave me a good color that wasn't incredibly dark and faded well. It was really easy to apply and dried pretty quickly. I'll definitely be using it this summer! continued >>

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/28/2006 8:20:00 PM More reviews by karen50

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am a self tanner for at least 10 years and have gone through the gammet of different brands. I must say as a Canadian, I am proud that this is a product for once we carry before the United States. The colour you get with this product is a beautiful bronzy/brown colour. Not that sickly yellow most tanners give you. I am very fair with brown hair and have always wanted a product that would give me a deep bronzy tan. The problem is the bronzing part of it. This bronzing effect gives you the false hope that when you finally take a shower you will still come out the bronzy colour you went in with. Not so! Most of it washes down the drain and you must apply it a few times to get the bronze look you want. This is a bit annoying. Also the bronze part of this product tends to come off on everything, so going to bed wit it on is a risk. The smell is quite acceptable. It is somewhat earthy but not offensive. I would reccomend it for fair haired girls but be aware that it fades evenly but quickly and must be applied often. If not for these factors, I would have given it a 5.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2006 2:49:00 PM More reviews by Mirabel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have this in Natural Medium. It comes out of the bottle looking like chocolate syrup, the facial one is a brown foam. You do have to apply quickly, as with all self tanners, but the end result is fantastic. It is the most natural tan out of a bottle I've seen, just a hint of yellow on me. That brick-tan shade you get when you apply looks natural. Real, dark tans on white people look ruddy brown, check out a construction worker sometime. Anyway, Neostrata self-tanner doesn't smell terrible, lasts for about a week on me and fades naturally. I don't know about the dark shade, but the medium washes off my hands without any problem after application.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/11/2006 11:15:00 PM More reviews by muppetpinchess

I WANT to love this product...and I mostly do, my problem is with the longevity. Maybe it effects different skin types differently, but on me, the color does mostly go down the drain when the color guard washes off. It's really too bad because I adore the rosey tan I get from the deep/dark shade (I am naturally very fair). I am going to continue to purchase as this is great for those times when I want an instant tan. Unfortunately, for me it is really just a special evening tan, not a weekend away tan. I agree with the others: MUST wear gloves, great smell ( I think it's like Dr. Pepper), great color.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2006 9:31:00 AM More reviews by bbretka

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I would agree with everyone on this board. This is the best self tanner I've ever tried. EVER. It's the most natural looking tan and blends in so well. It cost me $25CAD at Shoppers Drug Mart but its worth the cost. When you factor in the cost of trying a bunch of crap products or going to the tanning salon, it's not that much at all. WARNING: MUST wear latex gloves. MUST. This stuff dries VERY VERY fast. When you put it on, blend it in fast and well...1st time I applied it I learned how fast it dries and if you don't blend hard and fast enough, you will see dark spots of it..but I discovered if that happens, you can rub it off w/ alcohol or maybe water/towel? Anyways. Work fast and blend and really, it's not that difficult. The smell is the best thus far. I cannot stand most self tanning smells. I've used recently the Jergens self tan that develops gradually. HORRIBLE smell and I didn't like the results. And it's true. It's very very natural looking. Absolutely not orange or yellow. It's natural tan colour. I'm using the 2 in 1 in medium. I'm light-med skin toned.
I read the reviews before purchasing and was very happy that what everyone said was true.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2006 1:11:00 PM More reviews by Mz_Lam

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Wow! Best self tanner I have ever used so far! I brought the Neostrata Insta-Tan for face in "Deep Dark" because London Drugs had ran out of the "Medium" one and I have to say, I wasn't the least bit dissapointed by this product. At first, I was kindda doubtful about this product because when I first applied it, I was sure I was going to end up with slight streaks on my face, but in the end, no streaks at all. Also, I wasn't sure about my color selection due to the fact that I am a very fair asian girl and was scared that I wouldn't suite "deep dark", but in the end, the color turned out fine. When I first applied this product, which I did both in the morning and a night, I woke up with a really bronzy face and I was really scared, but when I washed my face, the bronze came off revealing a nice tan face! I think the reason for this is because this self-tanner is a 2 in 1 product that contains a bronzer, and upon washing your face, the bronzer will come off, Thank goodness!The only thing I really don't like about this product was the smell, I just can't stand it, but since the product is the best self-tanner I have ever used, compared to self-tanners from Estee Lauder, Jergens, and Avene, I will definetly be repurchasing. The color that it did end up giving me was a nice deep golden brown color tan, so I am extremely sattisfied. Definetly will recommend to people and friends who ask me how I got such a gorgeous tan!=)Definelty in LOVE with this product! A must get, because trust me, you can't go wrong! NO STREAKS! NO NASTY TAN COLOR=)! JUST A NICE YOUTHFUL TAN!=)
UPDATE: After nearly 2 1/2 weeks of using this product, I still love it! I had recently tried both the neostrata sunsation self-tanner in the foam and the liquid, and out of the both, I prefer the foam (easier application, and since I only tan my face, it's meant for the face more) The foam version of this can be kindda drying, so a seperate moisturizer is recommended. My best friend had recently saw me and she couldn't stop telling me how great I look with this tan!

Update: 02/06/2010- I don't use this no more as I realize that I like my procelain white skin. I also realize that it probably is not safe to use any face tanner for face, as the chemicals can be harsh.