October 31, 2014 | 1202 users online

Self Tanners - Neostrata - Self Tan

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2007 3:02:00 PM More reviews by lessie

I purchased the NeoStrata 2 in 1 Sunsation instant tan in Medium based on the MUA reviews. I was VERY pleased with the results. It does have a very slight self-tanner smell, but really it was hardly noticeable and nothing compared to other self-tanners I've used.

I used this product for a wedding and I did 3 applications within one week. I used plastic gloves (tight fitting non-latex) to apply the cream. The bronzer in it is quite dark and allows you to see exactly where it's going. No streaking, no mess. Granted, some of it washes off when you shower, but after the 3 applications I have a completely natural looking tan...it gave me the same colour that I get from a real tan, but without the harmful UV rays!!

My husband applied it on my back and even he did a good job. How about that.

I purchased at Shopper's Drug Mart for $24.50. (The 'Dark' was on sale for $19.50 I believe). I will definitely keep using this throughout the summer and highly recommend to others.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2007 8:29:00 PM More reviews by StrawberryBabe

The best self tanner I've ever used. Gives a really natural colour without streaks and has great staying power. Definitely deserves 5 lippies ++. Like every other ST out there, however, it does really stink, so be warned. I put mine on before bed and shower the smell off in the morning. Also, it really stains your hands but there is a solution for that other than gloves. Once you finish applying, wash your hands with a squirt of toothpaste and that will completely remove the brown from your hands, trust me.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2007 10:19:00 AM More reviews by mlbalinge

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Thank you to Sugar Spise for providing the correct website to purchase this product (which is called Sunsation 2 in 1)! I LOVE IT!!! I was tired of having to apply the combo lotion/tanners like Jergen's, Hawaiian Tropic, Olay EVERY NIGHT and not getting much results. This is the best! No streaks, not that smelly, lasts longer and gives better, deeper color than those other products. It was $27 USD with shipping, which I think is a steal for the quality of the product (if you consider that I was using at least one tube of lotion/tanner every week and I only have to apply this twice a week). I got the Natural Medium but I might switch to the Deep Dark during the summer. Very, very pleased!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2007 4:53:00 PM More reviews by CecileCecile

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have tried many - this one is the best. A thin layer does the job, and no streaks. What really gets me is that it does not visibly slough off in little patches leaving that flaky brown effect at wrists and ankles when it fades. It fades away so gradually, just like an actual suntan. EDIT - The one I used was the almondy cream (sunsation insta-tan) in a tube that retails for around $24 CDN - I used the Deep Dark one with excellent results on my medium skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2006 10:12:00 PM More reviews by tosharocket

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS SELF TANNER! I am talking about the Neostrata 2 in 1 self tanner.I am proud to be Canadian because I have no trouble finding it, my shoppers drug mart has it right up the hill. I have tried sooo many self tanners, but this is the best. It actually makes me brown. And I bought the face version, and I usually also have a problem finding self tanners that will actaully tan my face, stay after during exfoliation etc. and this one does all that. I will never go to a tanning bed ever again if I have this stuff. Gloves are a must though. I use this twice a week, and every other day I use dove energy glow, and I haven't gotten that lizard skin yet. It isn't really that expensive $24 cdn for the body stuff and $20 for face stuff, It usually lasts me 3 months. Try it, it is worth every penny I swear

rated 1 of 5 on 8/27/2006 9:30:00 PM More reviews by prweiss65

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

There are TWO Neostrata tanners. The one that Ulta is carrying presently is NOT the one everyone is raving about here. This one is a mousse that smells HORRIBLE, and does NOTHING. I was so excited when i found it at ULTA, only to realize it is the wrong one. It was the absolute worst self-tanner I've ever used.

The salesgirl did tell me that they are getting the GOOD Neostrata tanner in sometime this week.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/1/2006 3:58:00 PM More reviews by Elizabeth01

This Self Tanner is an alright product - it gives pretty good results but you need to be willing to forgive some of its downfalls. First of all, a CG is a nice thing to have in a ST, esp. for begginers, but this CG is a little too dark for my liking; its a dark red/grey brown that looks and feels like mud. The smell is nice, a soft almond-paste sort of smell, not overwhelming IMO. When all is said and done, and the cosmetic CG is rinsed off, the resulting tan is significantly lighter than the CG, but a nice reddish brown. For me, while this product does give nice, consistant results, the price ($20+), the colourguide, and the light colour that I am left with just isnt enough to keep me comming back. To add the the previous reviewers statement - this Neostrata product originates in Canada and is thus available over the counter in Canadian drugstores like Shoppers Drug Mart.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2006 3:39:00 PM More reviews by Suger_Spise

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

PLEASE don't do what I just did! I was thrilled to hear that people were so satisfied with this product, but was dissapointed to discover that you had to buy it online. Luckily, I checked with ULTA, who said they had the self tanner by Neostrata. THERE ARE TWO DIFFERENT NEOSTRATAS! I bought the tanner available in America- "Exuviance by Neostrata Skin Healthy Sunless Tanning Mousse." This is not the Neostrata recieving wonderful reviews. This is the Neostrata that is lowering the ratings on this product. I read the reviews. The people who were satisfied usually referred to lotion-like thing with bronzer, but occasionally referred to a mousse. The unhappy people talked about the product as a mousse and mentioned AHA, an ingredient emphasized in the Exuviance Neostrata. I used this Neostrata and it does not work and it smelled strongly of fake tanner! What should be the quality Neostrata is only available on the internet and you can order it on this site- http://www.canderm.com/page.asp?intNodeID=8080&sysStr=PCAT38:action-sList_class-4293,196016_intCurID-13_sPos-0; Do not use just any of the sites that claim to lead to Neostrata as many of them lead me to the one by Exuviance. I have now found the GOOD Neostrata and plan to order it of this site. By the way, please ignore my ratings.
I just wanted to add that I've tried the GOOD neostrata and it is completely different. I have to say first of all I love the smell. It smells like almonds and has given me a really natural looking tan. With my skin, a natural looking tan is practically impossible. I've used pretty much every cheap tanner( Neutrogena, Banana Boat, you name it) and every one has turned me orange. A few years ago I started using Fake Bake, which gave me a pretty natural looking color, but made me look a little dirty and got all over my sheets. Neostrata gave me a good color that wasn't incredibly dark and faded well. It was really easy to apply and dried pretty quickly. I'll definitely be using it this summer! continued >>

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/28/2006 8:20:00 PM More reviews by karen50

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am a self tanner for at least 10 years and have gone through the gammet of different brands. I must say as a Canadian, I am proud that this is a product for once we carry before the United States. The colour you get with this product is a beautiful bronzy/brown colour. Not that sickly yellow most tanners give you. I am very fair with brown hair and have always wanted a product that would give me a deep bronzy tan. The problem is the bronzing part of it. This bronzing effect gives you the false hope that when you finally take a shower you will still come out the bronzy colour you went in with. Not so! Most of it washes down the drain and you must apply it a few times to get the bronze look you want. This is a bit annoying. Also the bronze part of this product tends to come off on everything, so going to bed wit it on is a risk. The smell is quite acceptable. It is somewhat earthy but not offensive. I would reccomend it for fair haired girls but be aware that it fades evenly but quickly and must be applied often. If not for these factors, I would have given it a 5.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2006 2:49:00 PM More reviews by Mirabel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have this in Natural Medium. It comes out of the bottle looking like chocolate syrup, the facial one is a brown foam. You do have to apply quickly, as with all self tanners, but the end result is fantastic. It is the most natural tan out of a bottle I've seen, just a hint of yellow on me. That brick-tan shade you get when you apply looks natural. Real, dark tans on white people look ruddy brown, check out a construction worker sometime. Anyway, Neostrata self-tanner doesn't smell terrible, lasts for about a week on me and fades naturally. I don't know about the dark shade, but the medium washes off my hands without any problem after application.