Laura Mercier Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Black Ebony

4.3

on 3/14/2007 6:59:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is truly a magnificent eyeliner! (I also have this in the Bleu Marine.)
Ever since I have been using this Black Ebony cake liner (I just purchased it on Sunday), I have been getting lots of compliments on how beautiful my eyes look! The black seems to be a nice, rich black, and it brightens and accentuates my hazel eyes more than any other liner I've used to tightline my upper lashes. I was going to pass on the black and just stick with the blue liner from LM, but now I'm glad I treated myself. This is a great find!
EDIT 11/20/07: I had to come back and update this review. I've noticed that for whatever reason, whenever I use any of LM's cake liners now, they make my eyes teary and run all day. At first I blamed it on allergies... then I thought that maybe my eyeshadow flaked into my eye... but unfortunately, it turns out to be THIS eyeliner causing all the tearing. I thought maybe it was becuz of the "6 Month Rule," so I bought a new one. My eyes STILL watered all day after applying this. Tried tightlining with gel liners, and the tearing stopped! {YAY!} I guess I have to stop using this product, whatever is in it does not agree with my eyes... continued >>

Most eyeliners run and give me racoon eyes. This didn't! It rocks and the mirror is super handy to have around. I apply with the MAC eyeliner brush and use the Sonia Kashuk smudge brush for a softer look. The built in mirror is SUPER HANDY.

on 1/16/2007 4:48:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I wouldn't consider this eyeliner to be my HG, but it is definitely up there. Takes some practice to put on but goes on 100% easier with the Paula Dorf transformer brush. (Thanks for the tip MUA raters!) I put it underneath my eyelashes on my upper lid, and makes my already sparse eyelashes look great and gives me that "certain something". Stays on all day and comes off easy with my eyemakeup remover. If you love cake eyeliner, this is worth the price!

on 1/14/2007 5:07:00 AM

This is the only eyeliner I use. I've tried various other gel-based and cake eyeliners and this is by far, the easiest to apply. I apply it with a bobby brown brush and with a few drops of water. It washes off gently--no scrubbing!

on 1/9/2007 12:27:00 AM

This is a great eyeliner. Super easy to apply and looks great. It lasts a long time too. I use my MAC water based mixing medium and dip my brush in it and then we t the liner a bit and brush it on my lids. It is amazing and I will definitely buy it again.

on 12/10/2006 11:48:00 PM

This product is quite good especially for lining the upper lids. I find it a bit high maintenance for every day use because it is time consuming to get a perfect line with an eyeliner brush. The product has great staying power, but I would say that I reserve it more for weekend use.

on 10/10/2006 1:13:00 AM

Very black, very pigmented and makes for a beautifully crisp line when I mix it with a drop of Visine and apply it with my Paula Dorf Transformer brush (it's similar to a push liner brush, but the head is tiny and the bristles form a slight c-curve rather than being straight across--makes tightlining a breeze!) Did not fade or transfer onto my lower lashline at all. I paid $15 for the pan (since I can just pop it into one of my MAC 4-pans) and am very well satisfied as it seems like I"ll be using this until I'm a granny :)

on 9/29/2006 4:19:00 PM

HG :) Makes your eyes pop. Won't make you look like those girls with a thick black line over their lids (which I find very disturbing). AN ABSOLUTE MUST HAVE for Asians with folded eyelids (you know what I'm talking about :P), I am Asian with folded eyelids and it is perfect.

on 7/22/2006 1:39:00 PM

Cool concept. You wet the pan and build up the intensity of the darkness on the brush before using it normally or using LM's own tightlining method of pushing liner at the roots only. Long-lasting, rich color that doesn't smudge. I'm a fan -- now on to more colors!

on 7/13/2006 5:59:00 PM

Wow!!! I,normally, will not go out of the bed without my eyeliner on.This is my HG eyeliner!! A beautiful true black that helps to open my eyes. I can also line it for a drammatic look or natural-day time look.
Anyway, i've found that it smudges a bit after five-six hours. So i tried to wet my brush with Mac mixing medium water based instead of water...and it works! It stays put much more longer. Try!

edit: avoid it in humid day. It smears like crazy.