September 21, 2014 | 2020 users online

Moisturizers - Ponds - Dry Skin Cream

rated 4 of 5 on 2/24/2013 9:40:00 AM More reviews by sincle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I thought this was a generally good product. There are some pros and cons, like any other product, but overall it's very good. Keep in mind your skin type when buying; this is not recommended for oily skin. It's quite thick. There's a reason why it's called the "Dry Skin Cream." Some people were complaining that it sits on skin and leaves a strange residue. I had no problem with this. I felt that it sunk into my skin nicely and hydrated well.

The cream comes in a pot, which can make for unhygienic use, but I make sure my hands are clean before using it. I saw two sizes where I picked it up (Target), and I got the smaller one. It's got a strange fragrance, not in a bad way. It kind of smells like a classic lotion. It fades after a little bit though. Ponds does test on animals. The cream itself is thick. I recommend for normal skin types to use as a night cream. It works fine for my normal/dry skin as an everyday cream. I massage the cream into my skin when it's still wet for the extra kick of moisture.

Pros
-Price is fair
-Hydrates well
-You get a good amount for price

Cons
-Smell (fades away fast though)
-The packaging

rated 3 of 5 on 2/22/2013 1:57:00 AM More reviews by Sexandtwinkies

I wouldn't buy it more than I do now, but it does an excellent job at getting rid of those dry patches on your skin you can get from the cold weather. Living in FL I'm not used to the cold, but as soon as it dropped 20's here I got rough patches of dry skin that would BURN when I put regular lotion on it and the dry skin was still there, just kind of greasy. I put a small amount of this and noticed it smelt nice, but kind of like an old persons moisturizer... It doesn't linger so that's alright. It got rid of my dry skin in minutes and relieved me, also preventing them overnight, I did get a few breakouts though...

rated 3 of 5 on 2/21/2013 12:49:00 PM More reviews by kerryanne44

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I used to use this when I was in high school, a million years ago, and recently thought it would be a good idea to try again. But I don't love it as much as I used to and I won't buy it again. My main issues are that it's very greasy-looking (which isn't so bad if you only use it at night), and the fragrance is very strong. After putting it on the other night, my SO told me I "look all buttered-up" and "smell like the perfume counter at Filene's" (an old dept store). It is moisturizing, though, so I will finish up the jar I have, but then return to my HG, CeraVe cream.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2013 12:54:00 AM More reviews by DLYNN

Ponds Dry Skin Cream is one of the few face creams I have been able to find that evokes no redness or irritation whatsoever. A dermatologist who patch tested me years ago indicated that I am sensitive/allergic to Dimethicone which was news to me because I have never actually broken out into hives. The problem? Dimethicone is an ingredient in over 98 percent of cosmetic and skin care items on store shelves. About to give up, I discovered Ponds Dry Skin Cream, the "caring classic", one of the few drugstore brands that fit the bill.

Most products I buy don't impress me all that much in terms of packaging or labeling aesthetics, but something about the classic look of this product, especially in the smaller sizes, does. A light, white cream, it comes packaged in a cute little translucent tub, with an attractive powder blue cap. (Blue isn't even my favorite color, but if I were painting a room blue, I'd take this cap down to a paint store and have them match it absolutely love it!) I also like the fact that the jar-type packaging allows me to get at every last bit. (And no, I don't worry about contaminating it with my hands because I buy in smaller quantities and use exclusively after I shower. Besides, that's what the preservatives are for. :-)

For years I stuck exclusively with Ponds Dry Skin Cream for my facial moisturizing needs, until I recently got the itch to try anti-aging products in earnest. (It was literally an "itch" --- I had an allergic reaction to an MRI with contrast, with the result being I underwent weeks of persistent, itchy bags under my eyes. That's when I suspended my Ponds ritual in favor of stronger ingredients to bring down the puffy/baggy/deflated balloon appearance.) While I want to give each anti-aging product I'm currently experimenting with a chance to work and early results suggest they are working because even my spouse has commented that my under-eye area has improved some of those products contain Dimethicone (silicone). Consequently, I have recently begun to note some mild redness upon waking in the morning, something I did not experience when relying upon Ponds Dry Skin Cream to moisturize my face and under-eye area.

In the end, because I can't get entirely away from Dimethicone during the day I refuse to give up wearing cosmetics thanks to issues with hyper-pigmentation brought on by occasional hormonal breakouts I've settled for giving my skin a break at night, thanks in no small part to Ponds Dry Skin Cream. In addition to being extremely gentle and deeply moisturizing, I even find the light scent comforting. Ponds Dry Skin Cream is a nightly ritual I'll no doubt stick to in the long run.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2013 9:15:00 PM More reviews by annachristina

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

My skin is oily, but still use this:

At night on my neck and chest because I can't find a cream that I like.

On my face after getting out of the pool because the chlorine dries me out.

Before skiing to protect my face from the cold.

On my face and body after going out on the boat or being on the beach and in the ocean. My skin gets tight from the wind, salt water, sun exposure, and sunscreen.

One my knees, feet, and elbows when they feel extra dry.

On my face at night after partying just a little too hard. I remove my makeup with the original cold cream, wipe with a hot towel, and rub some of this into my face before putting on my eye mask and hitting the sack.

The smell is inoffensive and it sinks in very quickly with no oily residue. I don't use it around my eyes because I wear contacts and I'm scared of anything near them.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/14/2013 11:04:00 AM More reviews by TiaDGB

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Black

As the reviewer below me stated: This is an emergency face cream. It's not something that I like to or suggest using on a daily basis. However, to cure dry/dehydrated skin, you really can't beat this.

This is NOT, I repeat, NOT, a product for those with oily skin or are breakout prone. It feels very heavy/greasy, and doesn't contain the best ingredients (petroleum being one of them). I am normally oily skinned, but decided to buy this because the harsh Canadian winter left me with dry patches on my cheeks and chin. After using this product for only a few days, they have cleared up completely.

I don't suggest using this under makeup (it's heavy and takes a long time to sink in). Apply this thickly at night before bed and you will wake up with baby smooth skin that your makeup will just GLIDE onto. BTW- For extra hydration, try doing a mask with Ponds Cold Cream (green cap) once a week. it works like a charm.

This is a very basic moisturizer. It contains no miracle ingredients, no SPF, no anti-aging benefits. It's nothing more or less than a great moisturizer for dehydrated/dry skin. For what it claims to be (and for the price/quantity ratio), this is excellent.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/11/2013 9:23:00 PM More reviews by SpencersMommy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is my emergency face cream. I find it is SOOO super greasy and makes my skin feel slimy and gross. It does moisturize well, but I'm not fond of the greasy skin that comes with it. Also, to moisturize well, I have to PILE it on. Not very impressed. I only use it when I have to, and will be trying Nivea soft instead of this.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2013 4:06:00 AM More reviews by LilyMakeupEvan

LET ME JUST SAY THIS STUFF IS A LIFE SAVER!
Okay, so my skin is a very wierd. It drys out so bad around my mouth and nose area during winters and absolutely no moisturizer can help it in any way .. until I bought this. This provides max hydration for your skin and Im pretty sure it works amazing as a night cream too, delivering all the moisture back. Not to mention its an amazing hand cream because of how smooth it is!
However, yeah it does have mineral oil, which breaks out some skin types, not mine though so this is love love love <3 Only thing I hate is the container, cause I have had it for a year and Im only halfway through but its probably gross with all the bacteria.
Would I repurchase? YES YES YES! LIFETIME CONSUMER! Check out my reviews on other skin care products and let me know if this review was helpful or not ;D

rated 2 of 5 on 2/8/2013 8:42:00 PM More reviews by cosmogall

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I heard many great things about this product. Infact some of my friends use it. So I was looking forward to trying it. I have really dry skin and I needed a good facial lotion. I paid $10 for the larger sized container. This lotion was way too greasy for me. No matter how little I used on my face it was still greasy. I also really didn't like the smell or texture. It was too thick and the lotion just laid on top of my skin. I would use this at night, only to wake up in the morning to dry skin again. I will not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2013 4:40:00 PM More reviews by Galahand

I've been using this product for years. This was my first moisturizer before I even knew what they were and have always come back to this after trying a couple of others. Now saying this, I've long since gotten used to having it take a while to be absorbed that I don't even notice that it does take like 10-20 minutes for my skin. So be warned if you have a slight greasy feeling afterwards. I have dry skin and this thing works wonders on me. Really, this is best for dry skin as it is thick and creamy. Not recommended for oily skin.