DHC Velvet Skin Coat

3.8

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Best primer I've ever used. I will buy it again!!!

on 1/23/2009 9:33:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I like a lot of DHC products and this is no exception. I use it as a primer underneath my foundation and it makes my foundation go on smooth. I'm not crazy about the little tube it comes in because when I go to squeeze out the primer, it shoots out in "spurts." If I had to choose though, between DHC Velvet Skin Coat and Smashbox's Photo Finish, Smashbox would be the winner. The consistency is slightly better as is the packaging. For comparison purposes, I also tried Laura Geller's primer and do not care for it mostly because of the consistency.

on 1/3/2009 11:32:00 PM

I got this when it went on sale a year ago, I haven't been using it much because it turned my face into a grease ball after 3-4 hrs. It also broke me out a little (although I'm not sure if it was from the Velvet Skin Coat or my poor diet). Still have 2/3 of one tube and a brand new tube cuz I bought them together as a set..will probably only use it when I absolutely have to look flawless.

on 12/18/2008 12:44:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I am not really too fond of mostly silicone primers. This does leave you skin super soft but after a while I did start to breakout. I wouldn't even use it all over, just on my cheeks where I had small-medium visible pores. It does work to keep your makeup on all day and look fresh and flawless. So if it works for your skintype then give it a try. It comes out of the tiny tip of the tube pretty thick, so only a little amount is needed so it should last a long time.

on 11/13/2008 12:41:00 AM

Quite simply the best primer. Liked it much better than smashbox and a few other sampled primers.

on 10/21/2008 5:01:00 PM

I got this as a sample; I was using the Smashbox primer, so I didn't rush to try it. When I finally did, I could not believe what it did to my skin. My face looked flawless! My pores disappeared. I could imagine using this and not needing much more to step out of the house feeling well tended! Only...I wish it wasn't a mail order company; I think their minimum order for free shipping is pretty steep, I'm not really interested in auto delivery and I would like to actually see the other products, without having to buy them sight unseen.

on 9/6/2008 10:11:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

i love this
it takes the oil away(for a while) and fine lines. it makes my skin feel very soft and lovely.

on 9/4/2008 8:57:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

This product is not much more than silicone. Unfortunately I didn't know that when I tried it. Yes, it covers skin in a velvety smoothness but it also smothers pores and made my skin break out. Ingredients: cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone, dimethicone/vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer, HDI / trimethylol hexyllactone crosspolymer, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, silica, propylparaben.

on 7/29/2008 1:14:00 PM

I've wanted to like primers, I truly have. I've just don't really need one and I seem to keep deluding myself into buying them. Velvet Skin Coat isn't too bad as far as primers go. It's easy to put on and work with, and doesn't leave my skin with that funny gooey feeling other primers do. I like the velvety texture and my makeup stays on just as long. What I do like about is that it works as a stand-alone product due to its nice texture. I usually only use foundation in certain areas so this doesn't leave my un-make-up-ed cheeks feeling gooey! If primers are your thing, I'd reccommend it, but since they aren't for me, I'll pass on a second buy.

on 7/11/2008 2:44:00 PM

I have only recently begun using primers, but I have to say - this stuff is pretty awesome. It really smoothes out any dryness and DEFINITELY extends the life of your makeup. I don't wear it every day - a little drying for that - but definitely great for a night out. Try a sample - I wasn't even looking for this but I liked it enough to buy the full size. It surprised me.

Popular Primer/ Correctors