Cetaphil Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Bar

4.2

Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Stearic Acid, Sodium Tallowate, Water, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Dodecylbenzene Sulfonate, Sodium Cocoate, PEG-20, Sodium Chloride, Masking Fragrance, Sodium Isethionate, Petrolatum, Sodium Isostearoyl Lactylate, Sucrose Cocoate, Titanium Dioxide, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, May also contain Sodium Palm Kernelate.

This stuff is amazing. Just 36 hours ago my face was a red angry bumpy mess and now it is calm, clear and smooth. My skin had been gradually getting worse and worse the last few months. I was trying out Ponds Cold Cream after reading about Kylie Minogue using it, and then I was trying to compensate the greasyness, bumpy lumps and clogged pores with too much very strong Glycolic Acid which was drawing out all the oil and gunk the cold cream was putting in over months of buildup. Big mess. Out of desperation over my erupting face I was searching MA for something simple and basic to try to calm my skin. I found the great reviews for this Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Bar and rushed straight out the door at 9pm to find it. I'm so glad I did.

I don't usually believe anyone should write a review until they have used a product for at least a few months, however in this case it has been such a quick turnaround I thought it worth sharing due to the amazing results. It somehow works instantly to calm and balance the skin. I must admit I washed my face about 4 times yesterday and even used some of the soap as a spot treatment overnight. I followed up with a tiny amount of the Cetaphil Moisture Cream which I have been using for about 2 years.

So if you are suffering from stressed out, angry, breaking out skin - give this a shot. Its cheap and easy - what have you got to lose.

I will continue to use this and update my review in a few months after I can see consistent results. Hopefully it will continue to be just as good as it is the first day.

on 11/27/2010 2:06:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

The best cleanser I have ever used, and I have used quite a handful of various brands (both on-shelf and high end brands)! I have normal/combination skin type, and I live in a rather dry region (Eastern Canada). This cleanser left my skin clean and refreshed. It didn't leave a filmy sensation (which I have experienced with most "moisturizing" cleanser), nor tighten/dry up my skin leaving little tingling sensation. It is so gentle yet effective that I won't ever switch to any other cleanser again, not even Cetaphil's liquid facial cleanser (they are definitely not on the same level). Easily lathers up with a few drops of water. Although the lather remains thin no matter how hard you work on it, you only need a little bit to cleanse the entire face and neck (I usually work on it for 5 to 10 seconds). Best of all, it is inexpensive, while a single bar would last for more than 3 months! The only other comparable cleanser I have used is DHC's olive facial cleansing bar, but the price almost doubles that of this one.

on 11/20/2010 11:12:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

The gentle cleansing bar is becoming hard to find, and it is my winter bar soap. I like things that suds up when you use them to remove makeup. I don't want the antibacterial version because I use Cuticura for that type of stuff.

I love how this feels when you use it, and the big bar lasts a long time (a few months, maybe even as long as six). It is a heavy soap and washes off clean but doesn't leave your skin too dry like Ivory can (that was my old face soap in the summer before I found Cuticura).

Very good cleansing product. I am not really a huge fan of Cetaphil in the pump, just because it doesn't make my face feel really clean.

on 11/7/2010 2:14:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Where have I been! This soap is nothing short of miraculous. I have tried a bezillion cleansers, acne treatments, products for sensitive skin, products meant to help with rosacea, and nothing comes close to what this simple bar has done for my skin! I have super oily, acne prone skin with a healthy dose of rosacea to boot. I was beginning to think that I had run out of options, and must simply learn to live with my inflamed skin. Products meant for oily skin only seemed to produce more oil. Acne products did nothing but leave my skin red and scaly (even treatments aimed at rosacea). I was ready to pull my hair out. My dermatologist asked me if I had ever tried this soap, and I almost laughed out loud. After all, I had tried all the so called miracle treatments out there, and they did nothing to touch the problem (prescriptions didn't help either). Why would some silly bar of soap meant for dry skin help me (and I had tried enough soaps to open up my own store)!

At first I thought she was referring to that stuff that comes in a bottle, but she was very specific. She told me to get the bar meant for dry, sensitive skin called "Gentle Cleansing", and not the antibacterial bar, which I would have normally chosen. It was dirt cheap, so I thought what the heck. I added it to my cart when I was shopping at Drugstore.Com. I also took note of all the positive reviews there as well. When it came, I was a little disappointed because it smells exactly like Dove soap (almost identical). It took me a few days to get used to the smell because I never did like the smell of Dove soap, however it does fade a bit, and it is a little lighter than straight Dove.

Once I got past the scent, I was in love. The first time I used it, I had to keep staring in the mirror because my face looked so calm and white (no traces of inflammation). The part that really blew me away is when I touched my face a couple of hours later. It felt like normal skin instead of an oil slick The next day my face began to clear up considerably! I've been using this soap for a week now, and my skin is so calm, clear and beautiful looking! I'm literally amazed by this soap (it even cleared up a rash that comes and goes on my chest when I am near my period)! This soap is intended for dry skin, and yet out of all the products I've tried over the years in an attempt to normalize my super oily skin, this is the one product that finally works! Who knew! I'm stunned! Not only that, but for the first time in years, my rosacea is under control and my acne is finally going away! If this is a dream, please don't wake me! Love love love love!

on 11/6/2010 4:44:00 PM

I have a love/hate relationship with this bar of soap. I love the fact that it always gets rid of my pimples fast, better than any other cleanser I have tried (i.e. origins, biore, neutrogena, olay, etc) and it's not expensive either. The negative with this product is that it leaves my face feeling tight and after washing I always get that squeaky clean feeling, which I'm not particularly fond of. For a product that claims it's for dry, sensitive skin, you would think it would be a bit more hydrating, but just because it gets rid of my pimples fast I will continue to buy it. Also, I have tried the liquid version of cetaphil and it isn't the same as the bar of soap. The liquid version of cetaphil didn't do anything for me at all.

on 11/2/2010 8:43:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

i rated this product a four because it doesnt leave my skin tight or overly moisturised. it gets rid of all my make up and smells nice (though i imagine that it may break some people out because of this). it lathers up but not too much and the bar is pretty chunky and isnt as slippery and moreso rinseable as the neautrogena hypo-allergenic transparent cleanser bar which i also use (that orange-y brown one, this does wonders for my face too).
it is expensive for a bar soap, but totally inexpensive if you compare it to other facial cleansers such as neutrogena or clinique. this does the same job as any other would, but i do have to use a topical cream for my pimples (im on tretinoin) or a benzoyl peroxide in the night time.
i reckon that this bar would be best for people who have great skin already. you wouldnt want to aggravate it or add oil to your face, this does the trick at balancing out. it is absolutely true when people say that less is more; i find that my pimples are less inflammed and not cystic when i cleanse with simple products and wash off my make up as soon as i get home from work or being out.
this bar really is worth it, i have tried almost every cleanser in all brands on the market, nothing has made my face fell more comfortable. recommended. would and will purchase again.

on 10/10/2010 1:08:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

My dermatologist told me to switch to Cetaphil products for my eczema. I've used the lotion in a jar before and it left a film on my skin, so I was somewhat weary of Cetaphil.

This is the best cleaner for my skin. I can really see an improvement in the texture and clarity of it since switching to this bar a few weeks ago.

It is unscented and just leaves your skin feeling clean and not stripped and devoid of moisture.

on 9/30/2010 7:27:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

First comment ever on this board!! I always look up products on this site, so decided I should help the cause. I needed a product that takes off makeup, that is gentle around the eyes, and that does not leave my semi-combo skin dry. (I use a separate eye makeup remover). This fit the bill perfectly so far. It has been 2 days and my face is glowing. love!

on 9/29/2010 2:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Great stuff. I have combination skin, prone to break-outs around my period, but dryness in the winter time. I need something anti-bacterial to control acne, but that is gentle enough that it doesn't dry out my skin. Sometimes I have a tendency to go crazy with too many products, but it's really best for me to keep my skin care routine simple. The fewer products I use, the fewer chances for irritations and break-outs.

This stuff fits the bill perfectly. It is effective at removing oil, makeup, and dirt, but doesn't totally strip my skin. At around $3 per bar, it works better than a lot of other, much more expensive, cleansers that I have used. Give it a try, and if doesn't work, you're only out $3!

on 9/21/2010 11:58:00 PM

My HG soap!! I have eczema and psoriasis. I bought this soap based on MUA reviews and am so happy I did. I like that I can use a soap that has a slight fragrance that doesn't make my break out in a rash. It's super gentle and does not dry out my skin. My husband is also a convert. We go through a lot of soap and buying individual bars is a bit expensive ($4.49-$4.99 depending on the store). Target sells a 3 pack for $8 and some change (they just increased the price by about a dollar).