November 27, 2014 | 1673 users online

Cleansers - Cetaphil - Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Bar

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 11/6/2010 4:44:00 PM More reviews by imimi

I have a love/hate relationship with this bar of soap. I love the fact that it always gets rid of my pimples fast, better than any other cleanser I have tried (i.e. origins, biore, neutrogena, olay, etc) and it's not expensive either. The negative with this product is that it leaves my face feeling tight and after washing I always get that squeaky clean feeling, which I'm not particularly fond of. For a product that claims it's for dry, sensitive skin, you would think it would be a bit more hydrating, but just because it gets rid of my pimples fast I will continue to buy it. Also, I have tried the liquid version of cetaphil and it isn't the same as the bar of soap. The liquid version of cetaphil didn't do anything for me at all.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2010 8:43:00 AM More reviews by Annushka

i rated this product a four because it doesnt leave my skin tight or overly moisturised. it gets rid of all my make up and smells nice (though i imagine that it may break some people out because of this). it lathers up but not too much and the bar is pretty chunky and isnt as slippery and moreso rinseable as the neautrogena hypo-allergenic transparent cleanser bar which i also use (that orange-y brown one, this does wonders for my face too).
it is expensive for a bar soap, but totally inexpensive if you compare it to other facial cleansers such as neutrogena or clinique. this does the same job as any other would, but i do have to use a topical cream for my pimples (im on tretinoin) or a benzoyl peroxide in the night time.
i reckon that this bar would be best for people who have great skin already. you wouldnt want to aggravate it or add oil to your face, this does the trick at balancing out. it is absolutely true when people say that less is more; i find that my pimples are less inflammed and not cystic when i cleanse with simple products and wash off my make up as soon as i get home from work or being out.
this bar really is worth it, i have tried almost every cleanser in all brands on the market, nothing has made my face fell more comfortable. recommended. would and will purchase again.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2010 1:08:00 PM More reviews by jenryan82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My dermatologist told me to switch to Cetaphil products for my eczema. I've used the lotion in a jar before and it left a film on my skin, so I was somewhat weary of Cetaphil.

This is the best cleaner for my skin. I can really see an improvement in the texture and clarity of it since switching to this bar a few weeks ago.

It is unscented and just leaves your skin feeling clean and not stripped and devoid of moisture.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/30/2010 7:27:00 PM More reviews by spriha

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

First comment ever on this board!! I always look up products on this site, so decided I should help the cause. I needed a product that takes off makeup, that is gentle around the eyes, and that does not leave my semi-combo skin dry. (I use a separate eye makeup remover). This fit the bill perfectly so far. It has been 2 days and my face is glowing. love!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2010 2:55:00 PM More reviews by annetick

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Great stuff. I have combination skin, prone to break-outs around my period, but dryness in the winter time. I need something anti-bacterial to control acne, but that is gentle enough that it doesn't dry out my skin. Sometimes I have a tendency to go crazy with too many products, but it's really best for me to keep my skin care routine simple. The fewer products I use, the fewer chances for irritations and break-outs.

This stuff fits the bill perfectly. It is effective at removing oil, makeup, and dirt, but doesn't totally strip my skin. At around $3 per bar, it works better than a lot of other, much more expensive, cleansers that I have used. Give it a try, and if doesn't work, you're only out $3!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2010 11:58:00 PM More reviews by vanillablue

My HG soap!! I have eczema and psoriasis. I bought this soap based on MUA reviews and am so happy I did. I like that I can use a soap that has a slight fragrance that doesn't make my break out in a rash. It's super gentle and does not dry out my skin. My husband is also a convert. We go through a lot of soap and buying individual bars is a bit expensive ($4.49-$4.99 depending on the store). Target sells a 3 pack for $8 and some change (they just increased the price by about a dollar).

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2010 7:13:00 PM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

After using this for a while I've found that it goes into the pile of other acne washes. It breaks me out.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2010 1:28:00 PM More reviews by pixiesdust13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

HG status! I'm a perfectionist, and unfortunately when I have a skin problem I try every product under the sun to combat my "issues," which I have finally realized (after damaging my skin in the process) is not the way to go. Simple is better! I used to use Proactiv, Clinique, Bobbi Brown, you name it. Ladies, this is THE BEST cleanser I have ever used, period. I've been using this for the past six months, and I never really thought a cleanser helped keep my breakouts in check until I got too lazy to buy some more when I ran out. I used the cetaphil liquid cleanser instead- big mistake. I earned myself three huge breakouts. I finally went back on this bar, and never broke out since. So, I am 100% confident in attributing this product to preventing breakouts. Plus, if you ever travel, you don't have to worry about taking this with you anywhere, since it's liquid free! My current routine: PM: apply cetaphil liquid cleanser to dry skin, rinse offf, use cetaphil bar, apply witch hazel with cotton pad, moisturize with cetaphil cream in tub (also HG).AM: cetaphil bar, witch hazel, cetaphil lotion!
UPDATE! Still HG status! I love how you can document your experiences with Makeupalley to not only help others make informed beauty choices, but yourself if you ever think about returning to a product, you can remember what happened- good or bad! Okay, so I tried going all natural and stopped using my cetaphil bar. Result: 4 huge cysts. You would think I would learn a lesson and stick to my above routine, which works! My skin is definitely thanking me for it now with clear skin again!

UPDATE: I no longer use this bar, because my skin has been too dry lately, and this makes it unbearably tight in the dry, winter climate I live in, so I switched to Paula's Choice resist cleanser.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2010 4:11:00 PM More reviews by shrae1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Ok, so I must admit that this is my HG product. I haven't found any other "thing" that I can not live without. I knew that this was the soap for me when it actually removed my antiperspirant/deodorant. Now, I know that sounds funny, but I have tried every soap on the market and none seem to remove deodorant! Also, this removes water proof mascara, gel liner, lip stain, etc. I did try the "facial" versions of this soap for my face, but found them to not be as effective. I also tested this against other higher end/priced facial cleansers and found this to be my favorite. Also, the cost is great! I recently found a bundle pack at Target that was less than $10.00 for 3 bars. The only down side to this bar is that everyone in my house loves it, so I can only put one bar out at a time and "stash" the rest for my personal use! Oh, and unlike the liquid Cetaphil, it has a great light scent :)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2010 12:18:00 AM More reviews by PrettyStylist

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I started using this soap just recently coz i had a few rashes on my arms which i didn't have before. The rashes are now clearing and my skin is not itchy anymore. I have sensitive skin but I'm stubborn and still try different products. I guess I'll have to stick to this one coz it's doing a great job!