October 24, 2014 | 1094 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Smashbox - Photo Matte Anti-Shine [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 3 of 5 on 7/25/2008 8:27:00 PM More reviews by darcy123

This is an updated review for this product as I've given it yet another try. I have extremely oily skin and would love to use anything that could help keep my make-up from melting off my face. I really wanted to like this product as it had a rav review in Paula B's book and on this website, but the first number of times I used it, it made my liquid foundation look streaky, despite the brand I used (Clinique, Clarins, Revlon). Although it did control oil for a good amount of time, I just couldn't get my make-up to look good while using it. So, into the dead make-up drawer it went and I starting using Clinque Pore Minimizer Instant Perfecter with good results. But (isn't there always a "but ...? "), once I started using Clinique Almost Powder Foundation, I found I was getting really oily by mid-afternoon and decided to give this another try. Today I used a small amount of Anti-Shine on my T-zone, let it dry and then applied my EL Double Wear Concealer and Almost Powder foundation. Although I had a hard time blending my concealer, by mid-afternoon I had very little shine on my nose and forehead. Today was a gorgeous hot and sunny summer day and I played outside with my girls for most of the afternoon. So, the morale of this story? Use this sparingly only where you really need it, let it dry well and hope for the best! :) I'm still on the fence about re-purchasing this although I am happy that I might actually finish the tube as it was expensive ($29 CAD). It is such a fickle product to use. I'm still on hunt for something that controls shine as well as this but is as easy to use as Pore Minimizer.
    UPDATE: OK, the love affair is over ... again. I remember why I stopped using this: I just can't even get any make-up (liquid or powder) to look good on top of this. I even tried using a bit of Pore Minimizer to no avail. I just ended up looking cakey. I gave Anti-Shine several good tries and now into the garbage it goes. Too bad.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2008 1:29:00 PM More reviews by footballqueen07

After MAC's Matte in a tube stopped working for me, I turned to this after reading reviews on MUA.... and I like it. It does a much better job at controlling shine than Matte did, and stays a bit longer. I have very oily skin in the summer, and work at a demanding retail job. Too bad it's so pricey though :( I would say for the price it doesn't deliver as well as it could.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2008 6:40:00 PM More reviews by keebdmb

I am in love with this product! I can't go a day without putting it on. I however have not tried it with foundation. I have pretty even skin and do not break out often, so I usually do not wear a base. My t-zone gets pretty oily, so I just apply this to my forehead, nose, and chin and it keeps my face from getting oily all day. On hot days, I do carry it in my purse to touch up later. From what other reviewers have said, the product is great with foundation too. The price is a bit high for such a small tube, but a little goes a long way. My first tube lasted almost a whole year! I would recommend this to anyone with oily skin!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2008 1:26:00 PM More reviews by SeaOfHuManatees

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Well, colour me impressed! I have super oily skin, and I have tried a few different primers to see if any of them would help. Alas, I was always left disappointed. I even tried Smashbox Photo Finish Primer - NOT GOOD!

I came on to MUA, and did some research and found this little gem. I went to Shopper's Drug Mart (in Canada) and purchased it for $29. Not too bad - even though the tube is small, a little goes a long way. It is a bit sticky when you first put it on, but it's fine if you just let it dry, then apply your sunscreen and/or foundation. Well, i'm impressed! It really does keep my face looking nice and grease-free. I'm sold!

So if you have oily skin, give this a shot. It does actually do what it says it's supposed to do.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/13/2008 9:33:00 PM More reviews by Xexuxa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Black

I've tried a lot of oil control gels. I've tried MAC, Clinique, Makeup forever, and a few other brands but out of them all I like this one the most. I can't give it a perfect rating because the oil on my skin still shows through eventually, but it keeps it matte longer than the others I've tried. This anti-shine gel comes in a decent sized tube, and the consistency is very thick. Its starts to get sticky as it dries and then it becomes soft and powdery. One of my favorite things about this product is that make-up applies beautifully over it. Some primer products make foundation go on unevenly but this enhances the look of my powder and liquid foundation. I will purchase this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2008 11:03:00 PM More reviews by lverhyd

I use this everyday without fail. I have very oily skin, and while this doesn't control everything it certainly helps and helps to keep my makeup in place for the most part! Definitely worth a try if you struggle with oily skin!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2008 6:36:00 PM More reviews by Ginger1234

This is the best mattifyer I have tried. I haven't found anything that will completely eliminate shine and this is the closest I can find. I generally rub it on my face before anything else and sometimes have to rub it in for several moments so it doesn't feel slippery. Lately, I have been mixing it with my Kiehl's tinted moisturizer on the back of my hand and, even though I use more that way, it creates a 'soft-lighting' effect on my skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2008 3:06:00 PM More reviews by sterlingK

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Other

Really makes my skin matte. it doesn't last all day but it is much better than usual. When my skin does get oily again it makes it easier to blot the oil away (I use clear and clear blotting sheets). I use the clear one, I have not tried the light shade. I am prone to breakouts and have had no problems with this product. Great for use under sunscreen (which is ALWAYS too oily/shiny). Will continue to repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/2/2008 1:45:00 AM More reviews by kyee

Smashbox Anti-Shine is the best mattifying product I have found so far. I have tried products by Shiseido, Dior, Bare Escentuals, Per-fekt, and Cargo. Per-fekt and Cargo work pretty well, but I think Anti-Shine is more effective. My skin is pale. And my nose is dry and flakey in addition to being very oily. First, I tried this in the Light color. I applied it on my nose and forehead. Indoors, the tinted Anti-Shine was not visible. But when I looked at my skin in sunlight, I noticed splotchy orange spots on my nose. I think the Anti-Shine was sticking to my dry spots. So I exchanged the Light for the Neutral (clear) color, which worked much better. I haven't had a problem with the Neutral version making my skin look white, as others have mentioned. As instructed by a Smashbox makeup artist, I apply a small amount and rub it in with my finger until I feel friction or pulling. If you keep rubbing after that, the Anti-Shine starts rolling up into little balls. Be careful not to apply too much, or it might become sticky and make your foundation sticky. I also apply a mattifying powder on top of my foundation.

Anti-Shine does not keep my t-zone matte all day, but it definitely helps. I usually still have to blot every 5 hours and touch up with my mattifying powder. I think this is a great product and will continue to repurchase unless I find something that works better.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2008 5:07:00 PM More reviews by ladymuscadet

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Best oil control product I've used so far (and I have used quite a few!). I put it on at 8 am and didn't have to blot until 3 pm--7 hours is quite a feat for me! I'm usually blotting by noon.

I followed the advice of those below: just use a tiny tiny bit, rub it between your fingers and then pat it onto your skin. Make sure you don't put too much! A little goes a looong way! I'd definitely recommend it!