Chanel Bronze Universel De Chanel Sun Illuminator

4.4

Cyclopentasiloxane,Dimethicone, Silica, Ozokerite, Methoxycinnamate, Dimethyl Silylate, Polymethylsilsequioxane, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Parfum, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbal Palmitate, Glyceryl, Stearate, BHT, Glyceryl Oleate, Citric Acid, [ /- (May contain)CI 77007 (Ultramarines), CI 77491, CI 77499 (Iron oxides), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Mica]

I found this product a little tough to work with not because of it's consistency but because I tried a million different brushes with it. They didn't apply the product nicely or shedded in the product, the site of brush hairs lodged in it makes me ill. It was also orangey on me, disappointing. It's not the worst bronzer, but I do like Benefit Hoola better along with NARS Laguna. I believe this products biggest downfall is that it is in a tub, somewhat unsanitary and definitely annoying. This bronzer is a little high maintenance to work with, not my style.

on 6/13/2010 12:45:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

lovely look in the jar -- it is yummy looking.

when I tried it on it is another matter. That pudding like beauty turned me into a pumpkin face -- not a good look for me.

I tested it on my daughter who is a level 2.5-3 complexion and who can tan during the summer and it did look lovely but after an hour turned a bit shiny and again, orangey.

all in all, unless you really want to pay for hype, buy this. If not, try the Hourglass cream bronzer or the MAC cream bronzer -- bigger bang for the buck and far easier to work with.

on 6/10/2010 5:44:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

HG HG HG HGGGGG! I'm up to my 26th bronzer and I think I've finally found my HG bronzer.
The texture is not liquid, not cream or powder but mousse when you touch it but once it's applied it turns to powder. Feels like a dream when applied to your face and works a lot better when applied with a fluffy brush (I don't recommend using it with the MAC 109 brush because it sheds -__-). If you do try and apply it with your fingers first it just looks all sorts of wrong, patchy, thick and streaky. Not nice.
The colour has a hint orange but not orange orange mixed with a caramel colour. Even though it's got orange in it you don't look orange once it's applied in my opinion. I find it suits a lot of different skin types because I've put some on my friend who's quite fair in comparison to me (I'm olive/tan). However I don't think it would work on really dark skined people because it is a caramel colour rather than a dark brown.
One of the reasons I love this product is that it's semi-matte and works so well as a contouring colour. Since it's semi-matte it gives you a nice subtle glow but not too much glow that it's a terrible contour. If you're not planning to use it as a contour bronzer it also works well to warm up the face and give the sun-kissed glow. It also has a divine smell that reminds you of a meadow of flowers mixed in with fruit. Also the smell lasts quite a while after you apply it which is an added bonus. The packaging also looks very nice. It's a nice product that doesn't deserve to be hidden in a drawer, definitely sit-on-vanity worthy.
I find this is also really long lasting. I had an experiment with this vs Nars Laguna bronzer with my friend and we found that this lasts a lot longer than the Nars Laguna. And i swear we used the same amount of brushstrokes each time during application. Plus its one ounce.
This is definitely a bronzer worth testing for yourself.

on 6/6/2010 8:28:00 PM

This was too orange. Good consistency/formula though. Wish it came in a compact with mirror.

i love using this to contour my face. it blends beautiful and doesn't look harsh on my pale skin. im in between an nc20 and nc25 right now. this product is very buildable, and i never have to worry about applying too much. the mac 109 brush is perfect for this product. love love love.

on 6/5/2010 5:32:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Just started out on bronzers and bought bare mineral's Warmth. Then i decided to get something more neutral cos something too brown can really make u look weird in daylight. So there, bought this. (purely cos the dior counter was empty and after swatching their bronzers i found them too yellow.. and i was quite drawn to the consistency of this.... its like yea...soap bar texture but a had mousse during application)
Didnt like it at first. Thought it looked way orange on my NC20 skin (and i am seriously considering changing my foundation to a NW15 cos NC20 is looking quite yellow on my pink undertoned skin) btw.

THEN the magic happened when i changed my brushes...at first i used the kabuki which i used on warmth....then i used a blush brush, which still looked orange. THEN i used a face powder brush. yea u got me right, a powder brush from body shop... its paddle shaped so u can focus and seriously, if u use something less dense than a powder brush ( like some yotubers said use a mac 109..i dont know y but it didnt work for me) it just won't work.

The mousse takes a few strokes to come off so its very buildable because every stroke only gives you that much colour. And im not exactly a morning person so a dense brush that gets more product at one go works better for me i guess.

But yes...at first i HATED it but now, i will definitely buy it again.

Update 20/5/10 :
Ok the best way to use this, stipple your paddle brush in and then start stroking in the product. That way u get the right amount. It will look streaky when you put it on your face but after blending, it looks AMAZING. Oh btw, i tend to put a little more before i leave home as the colour will settle in and it'll look really natural even tho at first it might look a tad too much or slightly orange. There was a period of time i even brought this OUT WITH ME over a compact just to add a little bit more for touchups cos it will settle in. NOT disappear, but SETTLE IN. (since my skin is being temperamental, and now its "dry skin season" i dont really need a compact.)

Skin: Other, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Other

Orange. And that's all I have to say about that.

on 6/1/2010 9:04:00 AM

I love, love, love, LOVE this product, which has recently been relaunched as Soleil de Tan. As far as I know, however, nothing has changed - it's still in the same large plastic tub, with a unique consistency (it's like gel married mousse). The color is a milky caramel brown, one that suits my golden NC25 perfectly. It's sheer and buildable, thus making it my favorite product to both bronze and contour my round, fair-to-medium toned face. The color is so subtle you couldn't detect an obvious contouring color; yet if I leave it out, I definitely feel like my face is missing definition. I use an angled brush by CoverFX to apply this beneath my cheekbones, and a smaller angled eye shadow brush for the sides of my nose.

Not cheap, that's for sure, but it lasts forever. Definitely deserves holy grail status - and that's something I rarely say.

on 5/29/2010 9:16:00 PM

Great alternative bronzer to add to my stash aside from my HG Nars Laguna. This is the exact same product relaunched with the name "Soleil Tan De Chanel" for 2010.

Like other reviewers have mentioned, the packaging is beautiful (shatterproof tub but a bit big), smells divine and applies like a dream. The mouse consistency sort of looks like a dessert...in between a gel and a cream.

The color payoff is definitely more of a caramel brown v. NARS Laguna's milk chocolate brown. This looks great on my NC40 spray tanned skin, but color only builds up to a certain point. Skin feels oh so soft but this will take off other makeup in it's application if you aren't careful. After all, this is a makeup base being used as a bronzer. On fair skin, this really looks lovely.

If you're looking for an alternative formula to use and different color, this is a great product. It's not my HG but comes in as #2.

on 4/27/2010 10:02:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

There's not much I can say about this that others haven't already said. It's just lovely. Beautiful colour for my extremely pale (almost translucent) pink-toned skin - when applied lightly it looks like the colour I would go if my skin were capable of tanning even a little! So soft and beautiful and glow-y. It's also great when I'm fake tanned as it's very buildable. I love absolutely everything about this and I'm so glad I took a chance on it (got it from Strawberrynet!).

Video Reviews & Tutorials