Sally Hansen Mega Shine Top Coat

3.4

on 3/19/2011 4:07:00 PM

After trying Poshe, SV, Out the Door and Essie 3 way glaze, this has become my HG topcoat, Fast drying, and extremely shiny, while applying easy. My only complaint is that it does not cooperate at all with Zoya polishes-I get massive shrinkage around the cuticles, sides of nails and tips when I use it, so opt for the Insta-Dri for Zoya only. I do wish the bottle was see-thru just so getting the right amount on the brush would be easier, and to know when you are running low

on 2/18/2011 3:44:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I cannot believe the bad reviews I have read about this product! If used properly it is wonderful! The product says that you can use while nails are still wet, but I do suggest that you wait until fully dry. Also it does not last the full 10 days as it suggests. But this polish gives a beautiful mirror shine top coat, a very professional looking finish. People are always asking where I got my nails done...at home!

on 2/18/2011 2:48:00 PM

Don't waste your money on this product. It smeared my polish, took ages to dry, cost as much as seche vite. Wish I could give it no lippies.

on 2/16/2011 1:04:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

When I first got this product a few months ago I thought that this was going to work miracles and make my freshly painted nails last for 10 days like the box claimed. Every time I apply this top coat over my nail polish, my entire nail polish will peel off! Sure it makes my nails real shiny and looks great...for about an hour and then I happen to notice that one of my nails doesn't even have nail polish on it anymore because it decided to run away and chip off. I can't even put this on my toes and have the polish stay on for more than two days! Overrall, this product looks great and does leave your nails nice and hard and shiny, but that all peels away on its own. Bad product. Sally let me down this time.

on 2/15/2011 9:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I HATE THIS PRODUCT! I bought it because at lot of Gurus claimed it was a lower cost alternative for Seche Vite. Not so much. This product leave streak marks on my nails, even if I wait for my polish to dry before applying and they are not even shiny! I change my nailpolish very often so chipping usually doesn't happen, but I wore my polish ONE DAY with this and it was chip city. It is no match for Seche Vite plain and simple.

on 2/12/2011 10:40:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I love this top coat , you hear all the yt gurus talk about it all the time and for good reason. It dries completely in 60 seconds and is definitely extremely shiny it also seems to protect pretty well. I will repurchase

I would still repurchase this but I find the Sally Hansen Insta-Dry to be just as good and it dries even faster and has a bottle you can actually see through. For the forseeable future I have switched to that one.

on 1/12/2011 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

This product is definitely a MEGA SHINE top coat. It gives beautiful shine that dries in 60 seconds. Actually. It doesn't budge after 60 seconds. It's a miracle worker if you're looking for a rapid dry top coat, but it isn't long lasting.

In fact, I think it makes my nail polish MORE likely to chip. This is unfortunate, but as I like to redo my nails every 3-4 days anyways, it's not a big deal.

The packaging is a "miss" for me. It comes in an opaque bottle, so you can't tell how much product is left in the bottle, and the brush is clear, which makes it difficult to see how much product is on it.

Overall, it's a great shine top coat, and the rapid try characteristic makes it extremely convenient. I would repurchase it, but I'm still looking for a "perfect" top coat.

on 1/3/2011 9:21:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

I quite like Mega Shine- it really is named well as it has a super shiny finish (especially on the first day). It also dries very quickly and isn't so prone to denting once it's fully dry. I do get chipping as other reviewers have mentioned but not any worse than with other topcoats (though there are many I haven't tried, including Seche Vite, because I don't know where to find them locally). I think people may be right when they suggest that this dries a bit too brittle, since that's probably what keeps it from denting and makes it dry so quickly. The packaging suggests that you can use this over a polish that's still wet, but I prefer letting the polish dry first or I risk staining the brush and presumably the rest of the bottle. The brush is also a bit stiff, as mentioned, and can dig into the polish a bit if it isn't dry. Over dry polish it fans out and gives pretty good coverage. I have noticed that the product has gotten a bit thicker, though it's still usable. I have no idea how much of the bottle I've gone through as it has a frustrating opaque mirror finish that means you can't see into the bottle at all. I don't think this would be a "HG" topcoat but of the topcoats I've tried so far I like it the best and would definitely buy again if I don't find something new that I prefer.

on 12/11/2010 4:39:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

This top coat gives a gorgeous, gorgeous shine! Problem? It only lasts a day if that. My nail polish regularly lasts me a 5-7 days, when I apply this top coat my polish is chipping by the end of the day. It looks great, but it completely ruins the rest of my manicure.

on 12/3/2010 5:29:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I'm not a huge fan of the price, but I guess it's pretty normal for top coats...

More importantly, when I first applied it (as a manicure refresher, over a coat of Barielle Nail Rebuilding Protein, three coats of Milani HD, and a coat of Barielle Ultra Speed Dry Manicure Extender), it imparted a glassy shine that I really loved. The problem? I showered four hours later and found not just my nailpolish but the top layer of my nails peeling off. That's not okay. I'm returning this as soon as possible.