August 30, 2014 | 1777 users online

Top/Base Coats - Sally Hansen - Mega Shine Top Coat

rated 1 of 5 on 2/15/2011 9:14:00 PM More reviews by elovejoy25

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I HATE THIS PRODUCT! I bought it because at lot of Gurus claimed it was a lower cost alternative for Seche Vite. Not so much. This product leave streak marks on my nails, even if I wait for my polish to dry before applying and they are not even shiny! I change my nailpolish very often so chipping usually doesn't happen, but I wore my polish ONE DAY with this and it was chip city. It is no match for Seche Vite plain and simple.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/12/2011 10:40:00 PM More reviews by Goldieloxx507

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this top coat , you hear all the yt gurus talk about it all the time and for good reason. It dries completely in 60 seconds and is definitely extremely shiny it also seems to protect pretty well. I will repurchase

I would still repurchase this but I find the Sally Hansen Insta-Dry to be just as good and it dries even faster and has a bottle you can actually see through. For the forseeable future I have switched to that one.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2011 10:18:00 PM More reviews by mattejunkie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product is definitely a MEGA SHINE top coat. It gives beautiful shine that dries in 60 seconds. Actually. It doesn't budge after 60 seconds. It's a miracle worker if you're looking for a rapid dry top coat, but it isn't long lasting.

In fact, I think it makes my nail polish MORE likely to chip. This is unfortunate, but as I like to redo my nails every 3-4 days anyways, it's not a big deal.

The packaging is a "miss" for me. It comes in an opaque bottle, so you can't tell how much product is left in the bottle, and the brush is clear, which makes it difficult to see how much product is on it.

Overall, it's a great shine top coat, and the rapid try characteristic makes it extremely convenient. I would repurchase it, but I'm still looking for a "perfect" top coat.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/3/2011 9:21:00 AM More reviews by skwerlie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I quite like Mega Shine- it really is named well as it has a super shiny finish (especially on the first day). It also dries very quickly and isn't so prone to denting once it's fully dry. I do get chipping as other reviewers have mentioned but not any worse than with other topcoats (though there are many I haven't tried, including Seche Vite, because I don't know where to find them locally). I think people may be right when they suggest that this dries a bit too brittle, since that's probably what keeps it from denting and makes it dry so quickly. The packaging suggests that you can use this over a polish that's still wet, but I prefer letting the polish dry first or I risk staining the brush and presumably the rest of the bottle. The brush is also a bit stiff, as mentioned, and can dig into the polish a bit if it isn't dry. Over dry polish it fans out and gives pretty good coverage. I have noticed that the product has gotten a bit thicker, though it's still usable. I have no idea how much of the bottle I've gone through as it has a frustrating opaque mirror finish that means you can't see into the bottle at all. I don't think this would be a "HG" topcoat but of the topcoats I've tried so far I like it the best and would definitely buy again if I don't find something new that I prefer.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/11/2010 4:39:00 AM More reviews by Mari001

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This top coat gives a gorgeous, gorgeous shine! Problem? It only lasts a day if that. My nail polish regularly lasts me a 5-7 days, when I apply this top coat my polish is chipping by the end of the day. It looks great, but it completely ruins the rest of my manicure.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/3/2010 5:29:00 PM More reviews by nrahman1993

I'm not a huge fan of the price, but I guess it's pretty normal for top coats...

More importantly, when I first applied it (as a manicure refresher, over a coat of Barielle Nail Rebuilding Protein, three coats of Milani HD, and a coat of Barielle Ultra Speed Dry Manicure Extender), it imparted a glassy shine that I really loved. The problem? I showered four hours later and found not just my nailpolish but the top layer of my nails peeling off. That's not okay. I'm returning this as soon as possible.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2010 8:56:00 PM More reviews by muffinlove

I like this a lot. It keeps my nail from chipping for 7 days. It's super shiny and dries pretty fast but it's usually the fourth coat I'm putting over my base coat and 2 coats of polish. I would also like to recommend CND toughen up base coat. It's not on MA but it makes my semi week nails really hard.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2010 11:44:00 PM More reviews by lost25

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this for $7.50 and within 5-6 days my polish started peeling off in chunks. Sally Hansen promised 10 days of chip free nails. Well thats a lie and $7.50 in the garbage. I could've order the Seche Vite for the same price.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/16/2010 5:12:00 PM More reviews by wallaceg6

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This product is ok. wen i say ok i mean it does dry my nales super fast and i can paint it on top of my wet nail varnish and it will dry fine, provided i do not move for a good 10 minutes. it creates a film over the nail which will slide around and crease the nail varnishif yo apply it on to wet nails. this "film" also causes a problem with nails chipping, as when my nails chip, a huge peice tends to come off not just a littlearoundthe tip of my nail. however if i am only wearing my nail varnish for a dy or too, it does add a great shine and allows me to save minutes of the time to apply.
as for the packaging, it looks great, but on a few occassions when i have applied it, little silver specks from the botte have ended up on my brush and occassionaly on my nail. hoefully this is just a one off bad bottle. over all this is one f the better top coats that i have tried on the market right now, and does certainly dry nails super fast and allows yu to do it straight befor bed with out worrying about smudges! ad is perfect for those special occassions as it leave a very proffessional finish.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/24/2010 4:10:00 PM More reviews by laura419

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Pros:
-Gave lots of shine
-Made my nails feel stronger and harder
Cons:
-I found it would lift the nail polish underneath and cause it to peel off. I'd notice it around the edges and I would actually be able to peel off the whole layer of nail polish.
-Doesn't prevent much chipping