Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream

3.6

Petrolatum 56.8%, Lanolin, Mineral Oil, Fragrance, Salicylic Acid, Propylparaben, Castor Oil, Corn Oil, Tocopherol, BHT, Iron Oxides

on 8/4/2012 12:35:00 PM

For reference: I have combo/dry sensitive clog prone skin.
I'm constantly on the hunt for basic rich moisturizing treatments that don't clog my skin. After finishing embryolisse, I finally gave in and have been trying eight hour cream the past month.
The product comes in a tube, and is the texture of soft thick honey translucent vaseline (it's 58% petrolatum). The herbal scent reminds me of weleda everon balm, not a hint of sweet or floral just slightly bitter smelling medicinal but fades relatively soon after application. I use around my eyes and on lips overnight and wake up with moisturized skin. I'll finish the tube, I'm not sure I'll repurchase because I've found other similar products more effective. For lanolin based products: lanisoh (unscented, thicker balm texture) and bag balm (best bang for buck, slight lanolin scent, similar texture) work as well if not better and I can always mix in a bit of my standby, vaseline. I don't find the extra ingredients noticeably effective enough to justify repurchasing (Mineral Oil, Tocopherol, BHT, Salicylic Acid, Ricinus Communis Seed Oil (Castor), Vegetable Oil, Zea Mays Oil (Corn)... etc. (preservatives)

on 8/3/2012 7:06:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Omg i love this!!!! The only thing better than this that I've found is Lansinoh Lanolin (which is very thick and doesn't contain salicylic acid, so it clogs pores sometimes--but it is the best treatment for dry lips & hands). Great for my face and hands!! I like this as a mask- this on top of a damp face that has serum of choice and a cheap moisturizer like Nivea. Leave on for 20 min or a couple of hours. Then wipe off, cleanse, and apply usual face cream (Guinot for me). It really works as a mask like this. Absorbs better than Aquaphor or Vaseline, moisturizes, softens, lovely texture, loooooove it. Like I said, good treatment product, not necessarily a moisturizer on its own. I have the unscented one, it smells nasty--like rancid cooking oil.

on 8/2/2012 11:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've known about this for years and never tried it. So many women have used this since 1930 and keep it in their kit or makeup bag. There aren't many products that hold the test of time these days, but this does. It now comes in unscented, but I actually like the retro scent. It makes me feel good to know it's the same thing that women have used for generations. Like the glamorous old Hollywood ladies, or your grandma! I tend to have dry to very dry skin, and this has been a lifesaver. You can use it anywhere you have bumps, bruises, scrapes, or dry patches. It's a lip balm and also a cuticle balm. It works by soothing and also protecting the top layer of skin. Practically a miracle worker in a tube. Everyone and their mother should try it at least once. P.S. It's $7.99- $10 at TJ Maxx.

on 7/16/2012 5:50:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Extremely expensive product! I used it for dry lips, its a really intensive moisturiser I used it on my cracked heels and it worked amazingly! I wouldn't use it on my face as I think it would be way to oily. The smell doesn't bother me. Overall I won't be buying again at $40 a bottle it's definitely not worth it!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

My new HG product. I cant think of any other HG product of mine. It is that super. I have very very very dry lips. They peel like nobody's business. Mac lipstick make them peel. Not to even mention about frosted and matte textures. They kill. But 8 hr cream is a god send. I apply it at night. I apply it after brushing my teeth and I blot off the excess. I no longer have dry lips problem. It is such a miracle.

* edit- a good fren of mine religiously applied this on his eczema areas and it really does help. I wanna try this on my face when I go on a long haul flight :)

on 6/29/2012 8:53:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I bought this cream at the airport in winter when travelling I knew it from magazines and always wanted to try - because I felt like my skin needed some special care and moisture after the flights and also in the winter here in Europe. And I chose the right product for me. Since then I have been using it when I felt that my skin needed it, always at night almost every day in cold weather. In summer I do still sometimes use it, when I feel that my skin is a bit dryer. I am not sure about a daily usage unless you are super dry. Also works well for the lips and the dry nose area.
Before I used to have the Avene cold cream for the special care in cold weather, but this is much nicer when being applied and it soaks in easier. It has replaced my Cold cream entirely.

on 6/23/2012 6:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

Retin-Amicro 0.04% left areas aroung my mouth and nose very irritated and grossly peeling. I tried yube cream, cervae, natural oils moisturizers with ceramides etc etc. Finally found this on my bedroom bookshelf forgotten months ago and put it on before bed. Always thought of it as just vaseline but this is something more and dont know what it is but Next morning my skin was soft plump no peeling, relaxed without the itching or burning. Finally something that will help with irritation from starting a retinoids. Love it!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Love this product - can be used for anything. I tend to use it in the evening as it is quite heavy and needs time to soak into skin. I especially use this in the dry winter months. Great on dry lips, hands, feet, elbows - I have even occasionally used it on super dry patches on my face. Bottle goes a very long way as you only need a small amount. If I ever run out, I will repurchase again.

on 6/16/2012 2:22:00 PM

Wow. This stuff is worth it's weight in gold.

I bought it after having had a stubborn eczema spot above my eye that didn't budge for 3 months and countless products. I love wearing eye shadow and eye makeup and was heartbroken that I couldn't (even though during this time I kept *buying* shadows and liners... hello, addiction.) The closest I got to just minimizing it was vaseline, so when I read reviews of this stuff's healing powers and that it was essentially suped-up vaseline, I was prepared to spend on just one more product.

And this stuff finally delivered.

Literally, 48 hours later, the spot is 98% gone. It looks fresh, healed, moisturized, with just a tiny bit of raised skin left. So I've been using it on my lips, and I'm pretty sure I can finally get away with a matte red with no catching! Using it around my nose, which cracks like crazy too. All healed and happy.

Beautiful, beautiful stuff.

One word of warning, if your eczema is caused by allergies, be wary, the lanolin in it might set you off in a worse way.

For the rest of us... run, don't walk, sell your first born if you must, for a tube of this.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I bought this more than a decade ago and am embarrassed to say that I'm still using it and it hasn't spoiled. It's not a regular use product for me - too greasy for my oily skin and in a tropical climate - but it doesn't break me out. It's great for chapped lips and prepping lips before lipstick, though a bit sticky. It also calms the skin down when it's misbehaving.

However, I now prefer using Egyptian Magic as it's natural and it also works great on my hair.

Popular Treatments (Face)